Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 04:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,146,068 times

Advertisements

And the colored girls go,

Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 04:27 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,140,586 times
Some are, some aren't. Mariah Carey is a great singer, half black, but guess what? Her mom (WHITE) was an opera singer. She didn't get that singing voice from her black daddy.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:49 PM

328 posts, read 683,958 times
are pears better than apples.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:27 PM

664 posts, read 858,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Some are, some aren't. Mariah Carey is a great singer, half black, but guess what? Her mom (WHITE) was an opera singer. She didn't get that singing voice from her black daddy.
could her father not sing?

Old 01-19-2015, 08:45 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,261,877 times
A lot of it is the visual component. Many backup singers on stage (especially backing up other female black singers) are overweight black women on purpose: the perception being that they have vocal power and soul. The whole Aretha Franklin thing. Never sure where the weight issue comes in, except for the stereotype and the visual perception. A lot of thin women out there have great pipes. But people would rather hear AND SEE on stage a Pearl Bailey, a Queen Latifah, a Ma Rainey, a Big Mama Thornton...the thought being "that big girl can belt it out." Not sure where the weight thing helps.
A lot of it is very racial, if not racist. The whole "white men can't jump" thing, but in music. Can't rap, can't sing with soul, can't "take you to church," can't play jazz," etc. Why not add "can't tap dance? " Very unfortunate.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:03 AM

239 posts, read 195,813 times
I'd rather listen to Janet Jackson's songs than Madonna's

I prefer Christina Aguillera's voice and not Rhianna's

all the same.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:00 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,993,799 times
Why do African American women today think that melisma equals soulful? Why can they not hold a note? The worst was Whitney Houston, who resorted mostly to falsetto to reach high notes while she was doing it.

I prefer the voices of Inara George, Melissa Kaplan, Emmylou Harris, Joan Armatrading, Phyllis Hyman,....

Last edited by mm4; 06-10-2015 at 02:15 PM..

Old 06-10-2015, 09:12 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,283,988 times
White girls are killing it lately with R&B. I would say it's even. No group is better these days.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Status: "Happy Memorial Day to all who served." (set 1 day ago)

24,163 posts, read 32,664,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvn88 View Post
I'd rather listen to Janet Jackson's songs than Madonna's

I prefer Christina Aguillera's voice and not Rhianna's

all the same.

Many are. I do not like wimpy soft singers. It is not the type of music that I like.

I like strength and passion. Volume. A soft voice that is "feminine" and whispery - does nothing for me.

Women vocalists who I think are interesting and exciting include -

1. Debbie Harry (Blondie)

2. Etta James

3. Patti Smith ( listen to her version of "Gloria")

4. Patsey Cline - country singer who was killed along in a plane crash.

5. Janis Joplin. - an amazing blues rock singer who passed before her time.

6. Wanda Jackson - Rockabilly Queen.

7. Billie Holiday - you should know who she is.

8. Darlene Love - It isn't Christmas without this wildly talented women's version of "Christmas - baby please come home". Her voice in powerful and perfect.

9. Aretha.

10. Whitney Houston

11. Amy Winehouse. - amazing.

There are so many others. But I expect no less passion from women than I do from men. I don't like soft feminine vocals. I like women who let it rip.

My group of women is mixed. They are passionate and not coy.

Race has nothing to do with it. Passion and soul do.

Last edited by sheena12; 06-10-2015 at 09:57 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 02:54 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,440,674 times
Default Absolutely. Black women are supremely gifted singers

It's not even close. One merely needs to listen to Motown to see this. Pure music that touches the soul.

Consider here Patti Labelle. Two songs as an example (my two personal favorites). I'm a classical violinist, and aside from Itzhak Perlman's playing, Patti Labelle's singing is among the few that gives me goosebumps when I hear it.

If Only You Knew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHg-Zkwndqg

Somebody Loves You Baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbsq3K8ozQ8

Last edited by LexusNexus; 06-11-2015 at 03:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music