Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:28 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

Lady Gaga - "Lovegame", "Pokerface", etc.
Britney Spears - "3", "If U Seek Amy", etc.
Katy Perry - "Last Friday Night", "I Kissed a Girl", etc.
Lil' Wayne - "Lollipop"
3OH3 - "Don't Trust Me"
Ke$ha - "Blah Blah Blah"
Akon - "I Wanna **** You"
Enrique Iglesias - "Tonight I'm Going to **** You", "I Like It"
Pitbull - "Holiday Inn"
etc. etc. etc.

Seriously, what happened? Obviously sexual innuendo has always been a part of music. However, I remember an era in which sex did not seem to be the focus of seemingly every song on hit radio - an era in which songs did not explicitly discuss threesomes and S & M! I'm speaking of the mid-to-late 1990's. Songs did occasionally touch on sexual topics, but with a few exceptions, it was done in a discreet way or a sort of "casual" way that was shrugged off by most listeners and not central to the theme of the song's lyrics.

Around 2002, as hip-hop became mainstream again, that all changed and songs became almost universally raunchy. I'm speaking of such "artists" as 50 Cent, Lil' Wayne, Ludacris, Snoop Dogg, D4L, and others. When hip-hop went into decline on the charts around 2008, I had the hope that music would return to at least an image of its former state. Wrong. While melody re-surfaced and the catchy 4/4 beat returned, the lyrics remained the same. And that abominable trend of (mostly female) singers starting out with a clean image and it being transformed into promiscuous and dirty continued - it happened with Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and now with Rihanna and who knows who else.

I don't know why songs today are universally about sex, or what motivates the artists who make them. I don't know anybody so hypersexual as to appreciate the current status quo.

What do you think of the sexualization of pop music and why do you think artists only want to sing about sex today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 09:29 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
Cuz its awesome lol ttyl.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:38 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I don't know why songs today are universally about sex, or what motivates the artists who make them. I don't know anybody so hypersexual as to appreciate the current status quo.

What do you think of the sexualization of pop music and why do you think artists only want to sing about sex today?
Don't be silly. There are plenty of pop artists who sing about other things. You hear what you choose to hear.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:42 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
My parents asked the same question back in the fifties. Hi dad.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:47 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,019 times
Because pop artists like them don't have original material. Maybe except Lil Wayne... but the rest are just mainstream garbage. Some pop is alright, but you just listed the most popular...

Old 06-20-2011, 10:47 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Most pop music is atrocious. Not all. They take the easy way out and play to the lowest common denominator.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:52 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
Because pop artists like them don't have original material. Maybe except Lil Wayne... but the rest are just mainstream garbage. Some pop is alright, but you just listed the most popular...
REally? I can't tell you how many lil wayne songs I hear him talkng about ***** (thanks sensor, but you know the other word for a vagina). Whats his newest song? I want to **** every girl in the world?

I can't explain it either. It comes down to lack of any intelligent topic to sing/rap about. And sex sells.

Anyway, the population that likes pop music isn't always the brightest in my book anyway.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:59 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
I was skeptical, but looking it up there might be a bit more of a focus on that than in the past.

I think romance/relationships have always been a big focus of pop-music, but possibly now the sexual aspect of those relationships is more central. Either because standards have changed, so singers are just being more overt about what they were singing about all along, or because sex really is more a focus of relationships or a bit of both.

I do think we are more clinical and less euphemistic than we used to be and I admit I don't care for it. I bought a CD of Anne Briggs folk songs and a good deal of it was about sex. It wasn't even particularly subtle, "We lay in sport and at play. Till this young man arose and gathered his clothes. Singing 'Fair thee well today!'", but still calling it "sport and at play" actually sounds more enjoyable to me than just you know "stick it in me" or what they sometimes do now.

I remember a socially conservative writer saying something that surprised me, but that I agree with in an odd way. Her point was that they had "hussies" in her day and that she even liked some of them. However she felt like women, or men I suppose, who want to be "hussies" should commit to it with eyes open and know what it means. So in this case if you want to be sexy be sexy and not play it like weird performance art or a biology text or a totally meaningless fashion accessory. And if you don't want to be sexy/sex-focused than don't feel you have to just to get liked.

Or something. I just woke up from a nap

Old 06-21-2011, 01:13 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
^

IMO: the bigger issue is the imagery in video clips, rather than the lyrics.

Although I don't listen to a lot of top 40 pop ....

Old 06-21-2011, 02:21 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,230,661 times
I remember when Pour Some Sugar On Me was first released (no pun intended), I did not know what they were referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music