U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:10 PM

30,017 posts, read 30,081,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
True.
I wonder though, how come back in the day when Em and 50 murdered Murder, Inc and Ja Rule lyrically, Ja (along with Fat Joe) career got destroyed too? Were listeners smarter back then or what?
It was a different era. Tough guy rap sold. Beef sold. Beef doesn't really sell today. Kids want hot bars and hot beats. That's it.

Take Raekwon's second Cuban Linx album, for example. Great album, imo. But it's boring by today's standards. Kids want Big Sean's "Go stupid, go stupid, go stupid." Or the New Boyz. Or Nicki Minaj's weird sounding crescendo. That stuff is catchy. Kids couldn't care less about who's the toughest. They just want hot-fire beats.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM

8,712 posts, read 10,983,991 times
Quote:
"G Unit's not the authority on anything, far as I know. Most people cannot name anyone out of their group, excusing 50 cent and Lloyd Banks."

G Unit is the realest group out there. 50 is a beast and so is Banks, especially lately. Forget what you heard on the radio or in the club. Listen to the rest of their material. Most people are irrelevant.

This is what buried Rick Ross btw for those unfamiliar
LLOYD BANKS OFFICER DOWN RICKY ROSS DISS OFFICER RICKY THIS IS 50 THISIS50 50 CENT - YouTube, on top of when fifty banged his ex wife, got ahold of his kid and took him to a game (who Ross didn't pay alimony to and can't see legally) and Ross' tax returns that showed he's way poorer than he looks.
That's called an opinion; if that's your favorite group or w/e fine by me. I offered my thoughts on the matter, nothing left to add.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:22 PM

2,665 posts, read 5,298,182 times
Who the hell is Rickie Rothman lol?

Old 02-07-2012, 12:23 PM

If I said, they are the BEST group then that would be an opinion. Them being the realest is a fact.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:26 PM

8,712 posts, read 10,983,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleschoolfool View Post
if i said, they are the best group then that would be an opinion. Them being the realest is a fact.
lol. OK.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 PM

4,940 posts, read 10,118,640 times
Eric B. and Rakim anybody?

Old 02-07-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It was a different era. Tough guy rap sold. Beef sold. Beef doesn't really sell today. Kids want hot bars and hot beats. That's it.

Take Raekwon's second Cuban Linx album, for example. Great album, imo. But it's boring by today's standards. Kids want Big Sean's "Go stupid, go stupid, go stupid." Or the New Boyz. Or Nicki Minaj's weird sounding crescendo. That stuff is catchy. Kids couldn't care less about who's the toughest. They just want hot-fire beats.
What made the tough guy rap sell back then and not now? Just wondering.
Is it just an evolution of mainstream trends? Raekwon is cool.
I mean, I could listen to the stupid rap at a club or something, but when I am on my own I want something with potent content instead of brainless 8th grade lyrics.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Eric B. and Rakim anybody?
O yes indeed, you going way back though

Old 02-07-2012, 12:39 PM

30,017 posts, read 30,081,805 times
Quote:
What made the tough guy rap sell back then and not now? Just wondering.
Is it just an evolution of mainstream trends? Raekwon is cool.
I mean, I could listen to the stupid rap at a club or something, but when I am on my own I want something with potent content instead of brainless 8th grade lyrics.
What made slow jams and slow dancing cool back in the 60s and 70s but not now? Everyting gets old, I guess. Right now music is being made for bottle service in the club. Not for head bobbin' as you ride the subway around Queens.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:41 PM

4,940 posts, read 10,118,640 times
Believe it or not and as many jokes as I make about this rap crap, I've gotta say...some of it is realllllly good.
I work in a nightclub here in Vegas, and hear it every night.
I especialllly like that Little Wayne.
I'm a rock-n-roll kinda guy, but even I have to say he makes some catchy catchy stuff.
Eric B and Rakim I met in the mid 80s when I was growing up in the Bronx--that's why I know them.

Not trying to poop all over your thread--just having some fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music