U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:49 PM

30,026 posts, read 30,100,523 times

Advertisements

We haven't even made an attempt to answer the original question. Rick Ross is hot because...

1. His beats are fire. DJ Khaled and other producers give him some of the best beats in the business. "Super High" has one of my favorite all-time beats.

2. He calls himself the "Boss." And that sounds cool. It makes you want to open up your shirt, put on a gold chain, and blow Cuban cigar smoke in some sucka's face while proclaiming yourself to be the "Bawse." It's the indelible impression that Scarface and Tony Montana have had on black popular culture. Ross plays on that.

3. He makes songs for girls. "Break My Heart" with Estelle is the perfect example. Girls don't want to hear Beanie Sigel talking about lighting someone on fire in a North Philly warehouse. They want songs they can hold their amaretto sours up in the air to while dancing in circles with their friends at the club.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 01:05 PM

16,768 posts, read 16,573,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Because kids today don't care about "street cred" and all of that. Drake was Jimmy on Degrassi High for crying out loud! Most of their favorite rappers wear tight jeans, kiss other men in the mouth, and sound like coke-addicts. So I don't think the revelation of Rick Ross' former career as a correctional officer was going to be a crushing blow to his popularity among the 16-25 crowd.

As long as your beats are hot, and you throw in some occasional lines like "The game needs change and I'm the cashier," you'll have lots of ringtone success.

Jokes aside, I was pretty surprised when I heard Mobb Deep got w/ G-unit...I don't know why, but it just seemed weird to me.

Hip hop/rap started taking a huge dive (imo) around 2006/7. So I don't hang with the new mainstream stuff. It just grinds my nerves. I gotta throwback to the 80's & 90's or underground to get what I want from hip hop.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Hip hop/rap started taking a huge dive (imo) around 2006/7. So I don't hang with the new mainstream stuff. It just grinds my nerves. I gotta throwback to the 80's & 90's or underground to get what I want from hip hop.
The stuff they play on the radio is terrible and it's been that way since before 2006. I dig Kanye, though. He's taking rap music to new heights, imo. He's so cutting edge. There are songs off 808 & Heartbreaks that I'm finally coming around to and saying, "Man, this is some creative stuff." It's like Kanye's in 2016 or something.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:10 PM

2,665 posts, read 5,299,836 times
Like someone said, he aint no BAWS, he got puppy balls
Good points though, Bajan.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post

Jokes aside, I was pretty surprised when I heard Mobb Deep got w/ G-unit...I don't know why, but it just seemed weird to me.

What seemed weird to me when recently Prodigy of Mobb Deep said Rick Ross is a talented cat and he wants to record with him! and this guy has a g unit tat on his hand. He does that while they are still cool with fifty. WTF right? He also said he wants to record with Lil Wayne, which is selling out def, considering what P. always talks about, but I wouldn't be mad about that, Ross though??
Fifty didn't say anything to that, but I lost all respect for Mobb Deep after that, not even listening to them anymore whatsoever. When prodigy said what he said I felt like the core of hip hop got betrayed.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The stuff they play on the radio is terrible and it's been that way since before 2006. I dig Kanye, though. He's taking rap music to new heights, imo. He's so cutting edge. There are songs off 808 & Heartbreaks that I'm finally coming around to and saying, "Man, this is some creative stuff." It's like Kanye's in 2016 or something.
Yea, radio was almost always wack. We just discussing general trends.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:31 PM

9,415 posts, read 7,940,634 times
Another reason that the beef with 50 didn't hurt Ross is because, by that point, we've seen 50 start a lot of crap with a lot of people, and it got old. He was basically ignored by Rick ross.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Another reason that the beef with 50 didn't hurt Ross is because, by that point, we've seen 50 start a lot of crap with a lot of people, and it got old. He was basically ignored by Rick ross.
That's a good point. He basically built his whole career by destroying Ja Rule's. He tried to go after Jay-Z first, but we saw how that went. I didn't even know who Jay was talking about on Vol. 3 when he said, "I'm about a dollar, what the f*ck is 50 Cent?"

Old 02-07-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
No, you are off. Ross was the one to start it, apparently for publicity cause he couldn't even explain clearly why he spoke on fifty when asked on radio shows! Do some research. Fifty just reacted in his usual ruthless manner...

Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 AM

16,768 posts, read 16,573,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
What seemed weird to me when recently Prodigy of Mobb Deep said Rick Ross is a talented cat and he wants to record with him! and this guy has a g unit tat on his hand. He does that while they are still cool with fifty. WTF right? He also said he wants to record with Lil Wayne, which is selling out def, considering what P. always talks about, but I wouldn't be mad about that, Ross though??
Fifty didn't say anything to that, but I lost all respect for Mobb Deep after that, not even listening to them anymore whatsoever. When prodigy said what he said I felt like the core of hip hop got betrayed.
I agree, I haven't been able to follow Mobb Deep anywhere after all that, seemed like their whole style changed up completely from what they used to be...They were just getting old and grasping at what they could to stay relevant. Sad too, cuz I totally dig all their old albums. (and always will)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee
The stuff they play on the radio is terrible and it's been that way since before 2006. .
I know, I know, I just had to give some leeway cause there have been some good albums (getting airplay on mainstream stations) up til around that time, like I said, in my opinion. Once the hyphy synthesizers took over, omg, I had to peace out on that note!

Basically, I just saw hip hop/rap going in a direction I didn't want to follow anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music