U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:04 PM

24,661 posts, read 36,443,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The stuff they play on the radio is terrible and it's been that way since before 2006. I dig Kanye, though. He's taking rap music to new heights, imo. He's so cutting edge. There are songs off 808 & Heartbreaks that I'm finally coming around to and saying, "Man, this is some creative stuff." It's like Kanye's in 2016 or something.
Aside from those Kanye cuts (and which ones do you like the most?) what other stuff do you like nowadays that has some of those same cutting-edge properties?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 04:36 PM

29,995 posts, read 29,975,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Aside from those Kanye cuts (and which ones do you like the most?) what other stuff do you like nowadays that has some of those same cutting-edge properties?
Man, I'm really feelin' Watch the Throne. I keep "Who Gon' Stop Me?" in my iPod rotation. I love the part where Ye completely flips the beat when Jay is in midflow. That beat is fire. Even though "All of the Lights" is played out, I thought the beat was absolutely bananas the first time I heard it.

As far as "cutting edge," I can't honesly come up with too many artists. I don't really consider Little Brother or Tanya Morgan to be "cutting edge" because I feel like their style replicates that of so many older artists. It doesn't sound fresh to me. Have you listened to any of the Astronote remixes? He did a remix for "Young Gs" that is fire. Obviously the Roots are always experimenting with new sounds. Same with Q-Tip. There's a group called the Stuyvesants that makes nice instrumentals, but I have a hard time listening to a rap beat with NO lyrics.

I think Ryan Leslie makes some decent music, too.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:46 PM

156 posts, read 302,377 times
I believe music takes more creativity to remain prevalent, and Rick Ross definitely "fits the bill" in that regard. "Beef rap" did not require nearly as much creativity as today's music. In my opinion, it is a by-product of a more educated demographic that listens to hip-hop today. The target market for hip-hop is much larger as we become a globalized technological society, therefore, you will inevitably attract a more intelligent demographic driving the industry's success with their financial influence.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:06 AM

2,665 posts, read 5,286,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers4kb View Post
I believe music takes more creativity to remain prevalent, and Rick Ross definitely "fits the bill" in that regard. "Beef rap" did not require nearly as much creativity as today's music. In my opinion, it is a by-product of a more educated demographic that listens to hip-hop today. The target market for hip-hop is much larger as we become a globalized technological society, therefore, you will inevitably attract a more intelligent demographic driving the industry's success with their financial influence.
Educated, intelligent? Only ignorant dumb listeners can appreciate Ross music. Educated, intelligent people know he is a fat fake and don't respect him.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:13 AM

16,678 posts, read 16,457,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Educated, intelligent? Only ignorant dumb listeners can appreciate Ross music. Educated, intelligent people know he is a fat fake and don't respect him.

I have to agree with this, lmao.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 AM

12 posts, read 12,313 times
Rick Ross is hot still because he comes out with songs that anybody could have thought of but chose not to. Like the song "The Boss" anybody that want to go by "The Boss" could have.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:56 AM

12 posts, read 12,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I have to agree with this, lmao.
I actually like rick ross so i feel as though u are calling me ignorant and i have

Old 02-29-2012, 09:01 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,905,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
True.
I wonder though, how come back in the day when Em and 50 murdered Murder, Inc and Ja Rule lyrically, Ja (along with Fat Joe) career got destroyed too? Were listeners smarter back then or what?

Smarter? Really?

Old 02-29-2012, 09:05 AM

7,373 posts, read 13,793,205 times
Just because you all listen to hip hop does not mean you all have to talk and spell like idiots. That will be all.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 AM

6,616 posts, read 12,839,247 times
Rick Ross' songs are a bit catchy.

Meek Mill Feat. Rick Ross - Ima Boss (Official Video) - YouTube

^^^ I know, it's not by Rick Ross, but it features him. ^^^

Rick Ross - Hustlin' - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music