Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 05:52 AM

35,780 posts, read 21,156,458 times

Advertisements

I am in early sixties and when I lived in Miami dancing never stopped- my old Friends still dancing-- I ended up moving away to other big cities and finding that the art of dancing is gone among older adults -WHY? There are plenty of clubs- for the younger people - and there is a few older folks that go there, but in general- why did we stop dancing? It is so good for us-- is so many ways-!
I did catch some TV show from who know where at 3 am one day--and did see polka dancing by the older crowd- but not in FL- Why we stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 05:56 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,978,282 times
No good new music that makes one feel like dancing. What in the world happened to music?

Old 03-09-2016, 09:34 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,948,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I am in early sixties and when I lived in Miami dancing never stopped- my old Friends still dancing-- I ended up moving away to other big cities and finding that the art of dancing is gone among older adults -WHY? There are plenty of clubs- for the younger people - and there is a few older folks that go there, but in general- why did we stop dancing?
I'm 50 and if it weren't for the same health problems that keep from doing lots of other things, I am pretty sure I would be dancing regularly.

My favorite type of dancing is salsa dancing (or Latin dancing in general), and one tends to see a larger age spread at Latin nights than in other types of dance settings.

I think for a lot of people, taking on heavier career and family responsibilities takes them away from activities of this sort. Plus, for those of us from WASP-ier backgrounds, there isn't necessarily a strong tradition of all dancing regularly (although everyone in my family could dance and was not rhythmically challenged). I don't know what your background it, but it does seem that Latinos are more likely to keep dancing as they age. I would think the same is true of African-Americans, though I bet a lot of aging African-Americans wouldn't want to be bothered with a lot of current music (particuarly rap).

Old 03-09-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
No good new music that makes one feel like dancing. What in the world happened to music?
I've recently very belatedly developed an appreciation for house (or at least certain types of it) and there's still quite a bit of it being made.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:26 PM

19,263 posts, read 16,780,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I am in early sixties and when I lived in Miami dancing never stopped- my old Friends still dancing-- I ended up moving away to other big cities and finding that the art of dancing is gone among older adults -WHY? There are plenty of clubs- for the younger people - and there is a few older folks that go there, but in general- why did we stop dancing? It is so good for us-- is so many ways-!
I did catch some TV show from who know where at 3 am one day--and did see polka dancing by the older crowd- but not in FL- Why we stop?

Good question, tinytrump. Dancing is good, not only for the body but for the soul. Dancing makes you happy. My parents met at a dance in 1938 and danced their way through 70 years of marriage. They taught my siblings and me how to dance and, fortunately, we weren't too bad.

Our culture has changed and not for the better, though. Even the entertainment business has changed. Remember all the old musicals and dancers like Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Ann Miller, Ginger Rogers? Heck, even Jimmy Cagney was a pretty good dancer. They just don't make 'em like that any more.

I don't remember how I ran across this video but it's the coolest thing. Movie clips from a bunch of old musicals set to Bruno Mars' Uptown Funk tune. Seeing how you and I are about the same age, you might appreciate this. It's just too bad that dancing is becoming a lost art. Maybe if people danced more and followed politics less, they'd all be a little bit happier.

Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1F0lBnsnkE

Old 03-10-2016, 12:37 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,280,849 times
I play drums, so I have a good sense of rhythm, but I've never liked dancing. I have nothing against it, and when I'm playing music I'm glad to see people enjoying it enough that they want to dance to it, but as for me, I'd rather nail my feet to the floor than use them for dancing.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:21 PM

35,780 posts, read 21,156,458 times
I understand those who rather listen- than dance- but we love to watch it on tv! in the movies in theater-- We glue our faces on that TV screen! Dance what ever you like- there used to be 50's clubs in Miami etc few came. It closed American Bandstand I think?
I taught my sons to dance and grab my grands to dance when I can, and it does not matter to me about music types- I try to dance to Rock but-- not my thing- can't get the feet with the beat--but hip hop etc is just fine - I feel like a million after a few spins and I know I would be healthier if danced regularly-- the best I can hope for --is our impersonal ZUMBA -

Yes- Latins do not stop- there is a club in Miami dedicated to the older crowd from 7 to 11 PM Sat nights... then they close 1/2 hour and open for the younger crowd-11:30 - it's great! I have seen many a toothless on the floor like pros-
NOW other countries dance. India for example- lovely! When I was young saw all the Hebrew snow birds tear it up in Miami beach! I always wanted to be like them... It's not just a dance- but TIME OUT with others- and romantic for those attached- or looking to be.
No wonder we are all peeved off -and bitter - heavy exercise is great- but that is hard on older folks -and not as much FUN as dancing! Get out of your rut-- old geezers!

Old 03-10-2016, 04:13 PM

786 posts, read 813,448 times
Music lacking driving rhythm, counterrythms, elating riffs or memorable melody is dead for me: and that much of it may be too clever for its good, disappoints me. And having been brought up by a dancing mum who'd know, within notes, which dancesteps were required for almost any song played her, treated to Jamaican rhythm and blues (before it degenerated swiftly into icky-ticky ska, rocksteady or reggae) and the American precursors to it, and the works of serious composers that preceded the Romantic ones, I consider myself qualified to say that songs that do not make us tap our feet, sing-along or dance to them are hardly worth considering. Therefore, if the right records were played us—

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2jrQdJx24o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Cg_uCe1to

Old 03-10-2016, 04:33 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,345,179 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOyF4hR5GoE

Old 03-10-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Music lacking driving rhythm, counterrythms, elating riffs or memorable melody is dead for me: and that much of it may be too clever for its good, disappoints me.
I actually enjoy a wide range of music but your comment made me think of this Colbert segment:

https://vimeo.com/127461884
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music