U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 02:15 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,053,574 times

Advertisements

I saw this video the other day and I walked away feeling disturbed. Just wondering what some others think. Made me think that our future relationships are doomed by our past negative experiences. If that's the case, how do we break the cycle. Do we have to take the shackle off of our hearts and try to let love in again?

Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know (feat. Kimbra) - official video - YouTube
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 06:10 PM

4,367 posts, read 5,894,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I saw this video the other day and I walked away feeling disturbed. Just wondering what some others think. Made me think that our future relationships are doomed by our past negative experiences. If that's the case, how do we break the cycle. Do we have to take the shackle off of our hearts and try to let love in again?

Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know (feat. Kimbra) - official video - YouTube
This is an excellent song by an excellent artist. Music expresses the artist's feelings and thoughts (if it's any good) and people either identify with it or not. The great thing about true art is that people can transpose their own experience and feelings onto it and if they are aware, can learn something about themselves in how they react. I think advice on how to break negative cycles in relationships would be better sought in the relationship forum though.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:19 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,260,309 times
I find it beautiful. Music is passion so love and feelings of love translate well to music. It's interesting how music can hit you a certain way depending on where you are in life and what you have experienced. When I first heard this song it helped me find understanding and comfort knowing what I was feeling was understood by the artist.

Passionate love often lies along the tragic. It captures the breadth of emotions that jump through fiery hoops of uncertainty to soaring hope that enables you to feel like you can do anything.

We are mortal and have only so long. I'm grateful for any opportunity to feel and experience life. It's what enriches and makes us who we are. Why fear that?

And why think of it as anything more than a journey of understanding about our own soul? We can love and share with another person only so much. The real challenge in life is to learn to love ourselves. Loving others is easy once we learn to do that.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:28 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,260,309 times
I'm excited I get to see this artist perform this next weekend...here are a few more songs by Goyte that struck me...

Goyte Well Be watching You

Gotye - Don't Worry, We'll Be Watching You - YouTube

Hearts A Mess

Gotye - Hearts A Mess - YouTube

Old 04-08-2012, 11:18 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,130,341 times
song as bad ass video is lame to me. but yea song is good

Old 04-08-2012, 11:22 AM

2,749 posts, read 3,682,540 times
This ones better.

elliott smith-somebody that i used to know - YouTube

Old 04-08-2012, 11:26 AM

2,749 posts, read 3,682,540 times
I like the comment on the Youtube link that someone made, to the effect that the name of this song should have been retired like Gretzky's number.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
This is an excellent song by an excellent artist. Music expresses the artist's feelings and thoughts (if it's any good) and people either identify with it or not. The great thing about true art is that people can transpose their own experience and feelings onto it and if they are aware, can learn something about themselves in how they react. I think advice on how to break negative cycles in relationships would be better sought in the relationship forum though.
Okay, can the moderator of this forum move it to the relationships forum for me? I would really appreciate that. Thanks for your comment.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:56 PM

8,285 posts, read 12,795,450 times
I don't find this video to be disturbing at all. In fact it's like telepromting me back to the 1980's! The song is about how painfull relationships can be.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I don't find this video to be disturbing at all. In fact it's like telepromting me back to the 1980's! The song is about how painfull relationships can be.
I agree. There was something very 80s about the tone of the music. I guess it was disturbing because it did bring feelings about painful relationships to the surface. If that was the purpose of the song, it did a great job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music