Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,003 times

Advertisements

Been playing guitar for 15 years. Electrics mostly. I have 4 gibsons and 2 fenders, a whole mess of amps and pedals. I play acoustic as well just not as much, but I have a martin 12-string that makes amazing sounds especially with a slide. I also play bass guitar but that kinda goes without saying. I also play the keys and I'm learning the mandolin.

I love playing more than Key Lime Pie, and that's saying a whole lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 12:06 PM

716 posts, read 558,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBandit View Post
I'm a guitar player. I've been making a racket on the thing since I was about fifteen, so that is quite awhile. I play electric and acoustic six string guitar. I play Fenders and Gibsons. I learned a bit about timing and reading music/tab when I was in grade school through Jr. High band playing the trumpet. I'm not in a band and am not quitting my day job anytime soon. I just play for myself and mess around with other guitar players and a drummer playing for fun. I/we mostly play Blues and Rock. I can hear songs in my head and know nothing about the theory of it. I just know what sounds good to my ears. I've always been able to pick out a melody, beat, riff, solo that I really like. Don't ask me how, I just do. You'll hear and see some of "that" in the music I post.

//www.city-data.com/forum/music...moves-you.html

Old 06-15-2012, 12:39 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
I am a rock musician of 30+ years. I sing, play guitar, drums & electronic percussion, bass and keyboards.

I'm also fairly active on the internet as a independent recording artist. Music is my passion above anything else.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:44 AM

372 posts, read 1,043,060 times
Guitar player here. This was my very first post on CD:

//www.city-data.com/forum/music...l#post18936770

Old 06-21-2012, 03:49 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,594,394 times
I play the piano/Keyboard. I started as a young child and took lessons all the way through college. I'm currently learning the acoustic guitar and would love to learn the drums. Music will always be with me until my heart stops ticking. It's my blood. I'm also learning about music production and I'm slowly building a studio.

I have a natural ear for music but I can also read music.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:09 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,779 times
Amateur for sure but gettin better. Played guitar from about 13 to 17 years old, put it down for roughly 30 years and found yard sale guitar and got back into it. Had a big thick Rush songbook in my teens. Loved that band. Taught myself to read music and now bought a keyboard...kinda hard at first to get used to an A in the piano bass is an F, G an E and so forth left of middle C, when starting out only reading guitar music.

It's a lot of fun but I suffer from CRS (Can't Remember Squat). I like playing the old classic rock, Skynryd, Outlaws, Zep, CCR, AC/DC, Beatles.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:20 AM

538 posts, read 1,012,469 times
I'm a guitarist. I've been playing for about 5 years now. I own an American Hwy 1 Fender Strat, Alavarez Acoustic(Can't even remember the model number right this sec) and a Yamaha Eterna 112 electric.

I've been playing mostly acoustic material lately. Main reason it's more convenient lol. I play mostly blues, folk and 90s rock stuff. I have recorded some material but have never posted them up on youtube or soundclick. Reason being, my singing isn't bad but I'm trying to get my southern accent out of the equation.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:32 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
[quote=BBandit;24822231]Your "ear" as a guitar player takes a little while to develop. Without even having the sheet music in front of you, you can pick it out. Does anyone wonder how I did that? I don't even have the sheet music in front of me. It's totally from seat of the pants and by ear. No kidding!!

I don't get why you posted these videos in the middle of the conversation.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:25 PM

716 posts, read 558,492 times
[quote=rainroosty;24859620]
Quote:
Your "ear" as a guitar player takes a little while to develop. Without even having the sheet music in front of you, you can pick it out. Does anyone wonder how I did that? I don't even have the sheet music in front of me. It's totally from seat of the pants and by ear. No kidding!!
Quote:

I don't get why you posted these videos in the middle of the conversation.
Well, part of being a musician is being able to "hear" notes, songs and styles. Not listen to it...hear it!! Tell me those songs don't go hand and hand. Either the same chords, same rhythm, beat, feel, equipment, effects etc.. They had to influence the later song. They had to. And... if you were wondering, NO you cannot look that stuff up. I did it on my own without help. No one gets what I do around this joint for some reason. It's always clear as day.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:35 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,248 times
I have had goes at piano, guitar, drums, bass, saxophone and trombone and have filled those roles in a couple of bands. I don't do any right now. I write songs occasionally, but that is really it.

I never thought of myself as a musician or songwriter. There is one finished recording that I am on which was a song my friend (and former bandmate) wrote, but I always thought of myself as just a musical performer of some sort. I wasn't that good at any. I think I am getting better as a writer, or at least with the lyrics.

Oh and I have never gone near a microphone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music