U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,027,245 times

Advertisements

Apologies if there have been threads on this before.

Aside from the love of my family and friends, music is the biggest think in my life. I consider it humankind's greatest discovery/invention.

I'm enjoying beginning to participate in some of the music threads here. Lots of people with wide ranging tastes and some fun discussions.

I'm curious as to who amongst us is a player? I'd love to hear from other musicians...maybe discuss what instrument(s) you play, what kind of music, how long you've been at it, if you are in a band or do any recording, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 01:30 PM

23,883 posts, read 69,552,108 times
I am.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:03 PM

Come on, there's got to be more, right?

Okay BigSwede, let's you and I discuss it.

What instrument(s) do you play and what kind(s) of music?

How long you been playing?

You do any gigging or recording?

Old 06-11-2012, 03:10 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,217,635 times
Hubby is....loves music more than life itself! He's a drummer, but plays guitar, piano and can pick out something on bass, and is now working on harmonica. And, sings! He can harmonize with anything! Has a band...part-time, as gigging for a living is a HARD life! Gave up the "full-time" musician when we had kids and they needed insurance! Musicians don't make much more nowaday than they did 40 years age, unless you happen to "hit it big"!

What do you play? Where?

Old 06-11-2012, 03:33 PM

716 posts, read 516,990 times
I'm a guitar player. I've been making a racket on the thing since I was about fifteen, so that is quite awhile. I play electric and acoustic six string guitar. I play Fenders and Gibsons. I learned a bit about timing and reading music/tab when I was in grade school through Jr. High band playing the trumpet. I'm not in a band and am not quitting my day job anytime soon. I just play for myself and mess around with other guitar players and a drummer playing for fun. I/we mostly play Blues and Rock. I can hear songs in my head and know nothing about the theory of it. I just know what sounds good to my ears. I've always been able to pick out a melody, beat, riff, solo that I really like. Don't ask me how, I just do. You'll hear and see some of "that" in the music I post.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:39 PM

Ah! I used to live in Roanoke. That would have been close enough for us to get together and jam every once in a while, eh?

Like your lesser half, I'm also trying to take up harmonica. Need to get serious about it. I love the compact portability of them.

Also like your hubby, I play a lot of things. Started out on trumpet in elementary school (wanted to play drums, but so did every other boy in school, so I grabbed a trumpet.) I was okay at it, was 1st chair in the school band most of the time I played. Switched to sax a couple of years later.

Took up guitar when I was 10. (I'm 43 now.) And took up bass the next year.

Along the way I've dabbled in violin, banjo and mandolin, and played ukulele pretty seriously for about three years.

I can also get around on keyboards a little, and I'm a fair drummer.

But, mostly guitar and bass.

I was in gigging bands a lot from about 1981 to 1999, then I gave up playing live when I became a father. It was never a full time thing for me, but there were periods when I played in 2 or 3 bands at once and some weeks I cleared pretty good money playing shows. I recall a few weekends where I made $1000-$1500, but that was rare.

I like something from every genre of music and every era of music, and bands I've been in have run the gamut.

Started out playing hardcore punk, but I've also played more of what I'd guess you'd call alternative rock and pop, and I've been in many cover bands. One of my last bands was an all-acoustic old-time country/blues/jug band act and we always went over well because there was nobody around at that time in that area doing that sort of thing.

Most of my gigging life I was a bass player, but I did play guitar in several bands as well.

Incidentally, my wife is also a musician--mainly keyboards. She played keys and sang backup for a band that toured pretty heavily in the late 80s and early 90s and cut a couple of albums. Played a lot of famous clubs across the US. She still plays, and we record music together from time to time, but she has no interest being on stage or in a studio anymore.

I, on the other hand, miss it terribly, and hope to get back into it someday.

I've tried performing solo and it's just not my thing. I need other players to share the experience with and play off of. I don't like being the sole center of attention during a performance. I get too anxious.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:40 PM

Oh yeah--if anyone posting on this thread is in the Portland, OR area, hit me up. Maybe we could play some music together!

Old 06-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Ah! I used to live in Roanoke. That would have been close enough for us to get together and jam every once in a while, eh?

Like your lesser half, I'm also trying to take up harmonica. Need to get serious about it. I love the compact portability of them.

Also like your hubby, I play a lot of things. Started out on trumpet in elementary school (wanted to play drums, but so did every other boy in school, so I grabbed a trumpet.) I was okay at it, was 1st chair in the school band most of the time I played. Switched to sax a couple of years later.

Took up guitar when I was 10. (I'm 43 now.) And took up bass the next year.

Along the way I've dabbled in violin, banjo and mandolin, and played ukulele pretty seriously for about three years.

I can also get around on keyboards a little, and I'm a fair drummer.

But, mostly guitar and bass.

I was in gigging bands a lot from about 1981 to 1999, then I gave up playing live when I became a father. It was never a full time thing for me, but there were periods when I played in 2 or 3 bands at once and some weeks I cleared pretty good money playing shows. I recall a few weekends where I made $1000-$1500, but that was rare.

I like something from every genre of music and every era of music, and bands I've been in have run the gamut.

Started out playing hardcore punk, but I've also played more of what I'd guess you'd call alternative rock and pop, and I've been in many cover bands. One of my last bands was an all-acoustic old-time country/blues/jug band act and we always went over well because there was nobody around at that time in that area doing that sort of thing.

Most of my gigging life I was a bass player, but I did play guitar in several bands as well.

Incidentally, my wife is also a musician--mainly keyboards. She played keys and sang backup for a band that toured pretty heavily in the late 80s and early 90s and cut a couple of albums. Played a lot of famous clubs across the US. She still plays, and we record music together from time to time, but she has no interest being on stage or in a studio anymore.

I, on the other hand, miss it terribly, and hope to get back into it someday.

I've tried performing solo and it's just not my thing. I need other players to share the experience with and play off of. I don't like being the sole center of attention during a performance. I get too anxious.
Probably the most fun I've had in the last few years was playing with a friends Dad. He's a church member and an acoustic guitar player there.

He's mostly a rhythm guitar player and has trouble "feeling it" for the leads. He asked me if I wanted to sit for a bit and see what I could come up with. I sat there for a bit listening to the chords and getting a feel for it. These chords and the pattern or "rotation" had more of a Blues feel to it than any of the normal church stuff he normally played.

I plugged my Les Paul in and started listening and thinking. I came up with and put a lead on it that he seemed to like. I did too and before long other people over at the house started coming into the room to watch and listen. Hahaha, that kind of puts you on the spot when you are just fooling around. Never the less, what we came up with was something similar to this.

Kingsford Charcoal Ad 2008 - YouTube

Old 06-11-2012, 06:14 PM

Something else Griffis... I have Ernie Ball Power Slinky 11-48s strung on all my electrics. I've always been a big vibrato fan and have the big strong hands to pull it off with heavy gauge strings. It's just something that I started doing early on, and didn't really know I was doing it until my friends picked up on it and told me. Much like what BB King and Angus Young do. I guess I got that from them as well as Hendrix and SRV. It can be really fast and springy like Angus's and BB's. I also do a long slow vibrato a lot, much like Kenny does in the intro of this video. It's a really long and sustained shaking vibrato. The guys who watch me play say it gives me character. I can sort of see it now. It's just something I've always done.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Cincinnati 2011 - YouTube

Old 06-12-2012, 03:08 AM

23,883 posts, read 69,552,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Come on, there's got to be more, right?

Okay BigSwede, let's you and I discuss it.

What instrument(s) do you play and what kind(s) of music?

How long you been playing?

You do any gigging or recording?
I am a drummer since the mid 80s and an occasional bass player since the 90s. I have had my own punk band for many years and have also been jamming the blues many times, but nothing that became regular bands.
My own band is not so active nowadays, but we have released a whole bunch of demo tapes and CD-Rs that we sell, but no real records.
We used to gig quite regularly, but not so much now, since I don´t live in the same city as the rest of the band.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music