U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:59 AM

4,312 posts, read 8,559,791 times

Advertisements

Which REM do you prefer? I am a huge fan of the real early stuff but the newer stuff is not as weak as people make it out to be. Especially Reveal. That is a very good album. The same with Up which has a dark Pink Floyd feel to it. I agree Around The Sun is probably their weakest but even so there are some real good songs like Aftermath and I wanted To Be Wrong. Your views?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 09:48 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,131,005 times
80s!!
But I also like Automatic for the People.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:00 AM

5,653 posts, read 18,599,984 times
I really like "fables of the reconstruction".

Old 10-12-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I really like "fables of the reconstruction".
Yes! Fables is a favorite! The band initially did not like it because they kind of rushed through it to get out of cold, rainy England. But, they have warmed up to it. I was fortunate to have a discussion with Peter Buck about this just last year after he was done playing with Robyn Hitchcock. He said, "some of the sings like Kohoutek were kind of murky and sounded almost like other songs but overall it's good and has grown on all of them." My conversation with Buck was pretty cool. I even admitted to being more towards the right politically but I dislike Bush. "He said, "You are not the only fan to tell me that."

Old 10-14-2007, 08:20 AM

133 posts, read 541,174 times
One of my all-time favorite records is REM's "Life's Rich Pageant."

One of my first real concerts was REM at Dallas Fair Park Bandshell, September 20, 1986. I was 15 years old. Dad dropped us off and picked us up... Good ol' Dad.

And here's the set list for that show:
  1. These Days
  2. Harborcoat
  3. Hyena
  4. We Walk
  5. The One I Love
  6. Cuyahoga
  7. Shaking Through
  8. Driver 8
  9. The Flowers Of Guatemala
  10. Harpers
  11. I Believe
  12. Swan Swan H
  13. Superman
  14. Can't Get There From Here
  15. Old Man Kensey
  16. Auctioneer (Another Engine)
  17. Little America
  18. Fall On Me
  19. Strange
  20. Begin The Begin
  21. Talk About The Passion
  22. Funtime
  23. Just A Touch

Old 10-14-2007, 09:17 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,396,441 times
The first two...Murmur and Reckoning represent a very romantic time for me...a romance with their music. I actually had an 8-track in my car back then and bought an adapter so that I could play those two cassettes.

During that same period, I saw REM at the Royal Oak Theater and Michael thanked the old couple who picked him up while hitchhiking; getting him to the gig on time. Those were the days that he had extreme stage fright and sang the entire time with his back to us.

About a decade later I saw them in Cincinnati and had forth row center. A woman in the first row set her purse on the stage and Michael kicked it off. The show was great, but I remember thinking how far is ego had come in 10 years.

I loved Fables and Lifes Rich Pageant, but after those four, I never had the same love for their music.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:00 AM

15,022 posts, read 22,203,682 times
I like their early stuff the best - Murmur, Fables, Reckoning...of course you could never tell what Michael Stipe was singing about, he mumbled his lyrics and the lyrics itself were pretty sublime.

I remember hearing Murmur on the local college radio, back then that's the only place they were getting airtime. I can still listen to that album all day.

They've never put out a week album although losing their drummer hurt a bit. They have a few week songs in their history ("stand", etc) but their albums have always held up.

Monster was a great album, very hard rocking and such a departure from the more sappy moments from the previous album, probably the best second to Murmur.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 24,218,980 times
90's REM to me is the best. Although 80's is a very close second.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:18 AM

I did'nt like Monster all that much. A post grunge, glam, noise rock fiasco.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:30 AM

15,022 posts, read 22,203,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I did'nt like Monster all that much. A post grunge, glam, noise rock fiasco.
No, no...it's one of their best albums. Give it another listen. It was definetly a departure and the best thing was that it was a slap in the face to the new fans who wanted a soft rock similiar to Automatic. It was like a statement to those new fans saying "don't forget, we are a ROCK band".

It's a musicians album, it's a guitar album, none of this Stipe weeping about night swimming, listen to Peter Buck's guitar work and the bass guitar work on it. Some classic chords on it. Glam and Nirvana influences, sure, but..."What's the frequency...", "Crush with Eyeliner..."...that's just classic rock with roots in the blues and the 60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music