U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was the greater rock band?
Led Zeppelin 51 58.62%
The Who 36 41.38%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 12:51 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,632,327 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, who is the greater rock band? I really believe that one of these two bands is probably the greatest true rock and roll band of all time (I consider the Beatles more pop, and the Stones kind went off and did a country thing for a long while). Led Zeppelin usually wins these polls, but I've seen The Who win on more than one occasion. I grew up listening to both bands, and I have to say I definitely prefer The Who.

Matchups:
Vocals: Roger Daltrey vs. Robert Plant
Guitar: Pete Townshend vs. Jimmy Page
Bass: John Entwistle vs. John Paul Jones
Drums: Keith Moon vs. John Bonham

I really do like both bands, but The Who are just more exciting to me. Everything about The Who seems spontaneous and exciting, whereas Zep always felt a little more contrived. The guys in Zeppelin were fantastic musicians, but I think The Who put it together better. They fed off each other and created a sound that was bigger and more intricate than any one musician in the group, plus The Who was the better live band. The Who also did punk rock before punk rock existed, where I can't think of anything in Zep's catalog that was very punk. Page was definitely a better lead guitar player than Townshend, but Pete is quite possibly the best rhythm guitar player of all time, and Pete was the better songwriter. Anyways, what do you think?

Also, sorry if this has been done before. I did a search and didn't find anything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,750,359 times
I voted LZ because there is very little they have done that I don't like. Can't say the same for the Who. Partly this is because of my problem with Daltrey. I will say that I think the Who covers a broader range of styles and approaches and had (has) better skilled musicians overall. Tough choice.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:05 PM

26,342 posts, read 88,959,515 times
The area under the curve is about the same but Zep did it in a smaller amount of time so the intensity of their "greatness" is probably higher.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:31 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,277,913 times
As good as Bonham was Keith Moon was PROLIFIC!

And as far as bass goes, The Ox (Entwistle) had no peers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NYQxDwCnmA

Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,277,913 times
Don't know why that video didn't post???

The Who - Amazing Journey / Sparks - Tanglewood 1970 (HIFI STEREO AUDIO) - YouTube

Old 12-05-2012, 02:34 PM

5,653 posts, read 6,375,928 times
I'm going with the Who even, although Zep was the more even and consistent of the two. Zep never tried anything as ambitious as Tommy or Quadrophenia. Even Who's Next outshines the best Zep album for writing and musicality. That said, the Who released more dreck than Zep did. Most everything after Quadrophenia was pedestrian.

1960s Zep was basically just an extension of Page's earlier blues work and didn't stray too far from blues throughout their career, although they did touch on reggae later on. Personally I thought their best work was on Physical Graffiti, where they best showed what they could've been without staying within a straight blues constraint.

And neither of them was the Kinks :-)

Old 12-05-2012, 03:04 PM

7,555 posts, read 6,608,956 times
I loved Early Zep as much as anyone, but they were no Who (my all time favorite band, btw)

Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 PM

371 posts, read 1,015,737 times
Probably my personal two favorite bands. Picking one over the other is like picking one of my children over the other.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:31 PM

26,342 posts, read 88,959,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Personally I thought their best work was on Physical Graffiti,

I thought PG was their most overrated album and Presence one of their best. PG was diluted and colorless compared to their earlier work and not as raw and hard hitting as Presence.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:31 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,840,759 times
Zeppelin. Stairway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music