Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 01:20 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,624,660 times

Advertisements

That's because coast rappers are using Southern style beats but still keeping their rather tame lyrics. Kanye's Mercy is another song that comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 03:19 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times

Joe Budden - Pump It Up - YouTube

Fabolous - So NY (Explicit) - YouTube

Fabolous - Breathe Official Music Video (HQ) With Lyrics - YouTube

Joey Bada$$ x Capital STEEZ - Survival Tactics (Official Video) - YouTube

KRS-One - MC's Act Like They Don't Know - YouTube

Redman - Time 4 Sum Aksion (Uncut) - YouTube

99 PROBLEMS - YouTube

Jay Z - Can't Knock The Hustle - YouTube

"Empire State of Mind" Jay Z | Alicia Keys [OFFICIAL VIDEO] - YouTube

Ol' Dirty Bastard - ODB - Brooklyn Zoo (Video) - YouTube

Notorious BIG - Who Shot Ya - YouTube

Craig Mack - Flava In Ya Ear (Remix) Dirty 'HD' ( Ft. Biggie, Rampage, LL Cool J & Busta Rhymes ) - YouTube

Vado- Large On The Streets [Video] - YouTube

Pro Era - PEEP: The aPROcalypse - (Full Mixtape) - YouTube

And there's still countless more!!! But I'm getting tired, I'll post more later. Just a small taste of what the East Coast scene has to offer from both past, present, and future! Btw, I got love for out West too especially my man Kendrick and the whole Black Hippy Movement, Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, E-40, YG, Nipsey Hussle, Hopsin, Snoop Dogg aka Snoop Lion, Game, Earl Sweatshirt, and Hit-Boy. But I Gotta Rep That East! We're Coming Back To Feast!!!!! 'Cause We Gotta Eat! LOL

Old 04-03-2013, 03:33 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times
I think southern rap tends to have the most sexuality in it with the hoes,*******,and other things that turns off some,esp me.
The other thing that totally turned me off to Southern rap is their use of light skinned vs dark skinned in their songs,and they are always talking about a redbone,which turns off a lot too.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 AM

On a quick note, I'm still ROFL at the ridiculous statement claiming East Coast Hip Hop artists "try too hard" or are "so angry" and the rest of that crap LOL But whateva...I guess some people can't handle Hardcore Hip Hop or gritty lyricism or fast-paced yet heavy hitting beats, or can't even appreciate a thought-provoking storytelling message. Btw, the East Coast also has its share of rappers full of wittiness and comedic humor as well as the party-pumping types. But again, I'll leave all that for now. 'Til next time: "If I got to choose a coast I got to choose the East
I live out there, so don't go there"~The Notorious B.I.G. (Going Back To Cali, 1998)

Old 04-03-2013, 10:57 PM

East Coast rap does try too hard and I don't know anyone besides those from the Northeast who even cares about East Coast rap beyond the few songs on the radio they hear.

Nas is terrible, what on Earth are you smoking? Vado? Oh man that beat was so old school it was just repetitive and utterly lacking any creativity. I cannot stand that cliche record scratch and slow hip hop beat.

The "thought provoking" "socially conscious lyrics" is pretentious to the bone. If you want that and a phat beat with even better more creative lyrics, go for Houston's Z-Ro and Trae The Truth. Their beats are far better, the lyrics far more meaningful and they're just pure hustla.

I don't want to hear Nas or Mos Def try to rhyme like they're wannabe spoken word poets.

The only hip hop artists I respect from the East are the Wu Tang, some of Jay-Z's stuff, BIGGIE, Old Dirty and 50. Other than that the music is beyond played out. If I were to play any of that old school electric boogaloo junk at my party, I would get kicked out.

If you haven't noticed most rappers from both coasts are taking Southern beats. Kendrick's Swimming Pools, French Montana's Don't Stop, Kanye's Mercy, and even Drake cannot stop reppin' Houston.

Do you seriously play that junk list at your parties or when your chilling out with some friends? If you do I am surprised your friends do not tell you to update your playlist or tell you to get better taste because that stuff is so whack it's beyond comprehension.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:20 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
A lot of Southern rap is indecipherable to me because people like TI have the weirdest accents in my opinion. It also all sounds the same as far as the beat and lyrics go. I like old Biggie songs and a lot of stuff by Eminem because they have meaning.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
East Coast rap does try too hard and I don't know anyone besides those from the Northeast who even cares about East Coast rap beyond the few songs on the radio they hear.

Nas is terrible, what on Earth are you smoking? Vado? Oh man that beat was so old school it was just repetitive and utterly lacking any creativity. I cannot stand that cliche record scratch and slow hip hop beat.

The "thought provoking" "socially conscious lyrics" is pretentious to the bone. If you want that and a phat beat with even better more creative lyrics, go for Houston's Z-Ro and Trae The Truth. Their beats are far better, the lyrics far more meaningful and they're just pure hustla.

I don't want to hear Nas or Mos Def try to rhyme like they're wannabe spoken word poets.

The only hip hop artists I respect from the East are the Wu Tang, some of Jay-Z's stuff, BIGGIE, Old Dirty and 50. Other than that the music is beyond played out. If I were to play any of that old school electric boogaloo junk at my party, I would get kicked out.

If you haven't noticed most rappers from both coasts are taking Southern beats. Kendrick's Swimming Pools, French Montana's Don't Stop, Kanye's Mercy, and even Drake cannot stop reppin' Houston.

Do you seriously play that junk list at your parties or when your chilling out with some friends? If you do I am surprised your friends do not tell you to update your playlist or tell you to get better taste because that stuff is so whack it's beyond comprehension.
Nas is terrible? Are you kidding? He's one of the best there is! You like 50 and say Nas is terrible?!?

I agree, Wu Tang and Biggie are incredible.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:59 AM

Yes, Nas is terrible. He can try to come up with as many lyrically poetic rhymes as he wants, his stuff sounds pretentious. When one minute you're rapping about African history and literature, but the next it's money and hoes, it just turns me off and the guy comes off as though he just created a masterful song.

The Southern Rap, especially UGK, Three Six Mafia, Eight Ball and MJG to me sounds incredible for what it is. The ability to rhyme with multiple slang terms, rap about the daily hustle and mix it all in without pretention is amazing.

I am not looking for "meaning" in the sense that it has to be overtly socially conscious. I am very liberal and can appreciate the meaning in some rap songs but like my movies I like them to be less preachy and subtle in their message. Socially conscious rap with an old school repetitive beat that hardly switches tone with some pretentious lyrics trying hard to be meaningful and different reminds of me of extremely pretentious liberal films with no subtly in the message they’re trying to get across.

I prefer the music of Z-Ro, Trae The Truth, UGK, OutKast, Three Six Mafia when they’re rapping about the hustle, the slang terms they use to describe their winnings, the battles they fight with each other. It’s all told in a very witty, creative, lyrical and inspired sense of style that just flows so well to the beat. It’s unmatched.

East Coast and some of West Coast Rap reminds me of that pompous grad student who tries too hard to be relevant and thinks he is so meaningful but comes off looking like a poser. Southern/Texas rap though reminds of that naturally talented individual who spits out masterful storytelling lyrics about daily life and because it doesn’t have overall social relevance he gets laughed at by the arrogant self important East Coast rapper.

Southern/Texas rap retains that lyrical comical and witty tone that has shaped the musical, literary and poetic world of the South. Pimp C can rap about his hustle like no other and literally paint a vivid as hell picture of the daily turmoil of what it is to hustle your way through life. I know it sounds funny, but I find that more interesting in the flamboyant picture he paints than listening to some angry guy thinking he is so hard in his Timbaland boots and North Face jacket. Eminem is a masterful storyteller I will give him that but beyond him everyone else is WHACK. What part of that are you guys not getting? The beats are outdated; the lyrics reek of pretention and lack wit and creativity. Wu Tang is a big exception. Jay-Z captures the spirit I like sometimes. Biggie is a legend but that is it.
I am sorry but there is no contest. I really don’t know who finds East Coast rap that relevant anymore other than people who like to crucify Southern rap for not being “meaningful”.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post

I couldn't care less kid. Plus, most of my friends be listening to a wide mixture of old skool and new skool Hip Hop, R&B, and even Pop music in person or on Facebook, especially during so-called Throwback Thursdays. And besides, the playlist on my phone and iPod is a mixture of old and new Hip Hop but I tune out of the garbage that be playing on the radio. Seems like a carbon copy of generic Top 40 crap, guess that's why some of the crap on urban radio gets labeled Hip Pop lmao

And I already noticed the distinctive sounds to the beats in those rappers' songs. What? You think you're the only person in here who thinks he knows the various kinds of Hip Hop style productions? Don't Stop sounds like some type of Crunk-revivalist record, Mercy sounds bouncy until it hits the electronic mid-section of the song, and of course Swimming Pools sound southern in production style, its produced by T-Minus, one of Drake's close-knit ring of Canadian producers. The same Drake who tries to sound too South in his lyrics and his production (Which I actually like, especially when a track prod. by '40).

You go ahead and listen to your Top 40 Hip Pop, I'm gonna continue with the diversity of my playlist Beast Coast/Best Coast representin'!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music