U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 07:25 PM

31,367 posts, read 35,169,342 times

Advertisements

Oh, Freedom, Freedom, freedom
Freedom...

Sometimes I feel like a motherless child, A long way from my home

Clap your hands, clap your hands

Hey, yeah
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 07:45 PM

7,128 posts, read 4,828,875 times

RICHIE HAVENS Tupelo Honey_Just Like A Woman - YouTube

From Wikipedia;
Quote:
Havens' reputation as a live performer earned him widespread notice. His Woodstock appearance proved to be a major turning point in his career. As the festival's first performer, he held the crowd for nearly three hours (in part because he was told to perform a lengthy set because many artists were delayed in reaching the festival location), and was called back for several encores. Having run out of tunes, he improvised a song based on the old spiritual "Motherless Child" that became "Freedom". The subsequent Woodstock movie release helped Havens reach a worldwide audience.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:20 AM

16,581 posts, read 14,853,593 times
Man, I loved Richie Havens....

Old 04-23-2013, 03:33 AM
Status: "Ultra-MAGA is getting even stronger." (set 1 day ago)

51,081 posts, read 44,126,437 times
This thread. //www.city-data.com/forum/music...gone-72-a.html

Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 AM

902 posts, read 1,823,430 times
He opened Woodstock and got stuck playing for 3 hours because other performers were late getting there.

The tune Freedom was derived from a song Motherless Child which was about a common practice during slavery in which slave owners would sell slaves children to other slave owners . RIP Richie

Richie Havens Sings "Freedom" - YouTube

Old 04-23-2013, 08:05 AM

17,426 posts, read 23,663,148 times
Mr. Havens had an illustrious career indeed. He recorded on a variety of labels, from Verve Forecast to MGM to Stormy Forest to Douglas to A&M and others. He's another one of those folk artists that started from humble beginnings when playing the Greenwhich Village coffee shop tours, as Havens once remarked. I remember picking up his early lp's at Woolworth's (Mixed Bag and Electric Havens.) when I finally gained summer employment during my high school years. My favorite album of his is probably Alarm Clock, released in the summer of '71.

It's somewhat ironic that his passing comes the day after Earth Day as he was one of the founders of National Guard, a nationwide organization that helps children learn about all things environment, and IIRC he co-founded that cause on Earth Days 20 year anniversary.

I never got to see him in concert but talked to other music collector friends of mine who did. They told me he was as personable a performer as one could meet.

And he will be missed. RIP, Mr. Havens.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 AM

7,128 posts, read 4,828,875 times

Follow-Richie Havens - YouTube

Richie Havens Here Comes the Sun - YouTube

Old 04-23-2013, 10:17 AM

31,367 posts, read 35,169,342 times
We played Havens' cover of "In My Life" for our wedding...

We thought... rephrase that, I thought that his voice evoked such heart felt emotion and despite the philistines on Amazon.com might think the synth strings made it most appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music