U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 09:16 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,714,358 times

Advertisements

I own Neutral Milk Hotel's big album, and I literally don't think I've heard them outside of listening to my own album. It's possible they were featured in a movie soundtrack, though those vocals are a little abrasive for that purpose, so maybe not.

I never knowingly heard a Nirvana song when Kurt died. I got into listening to the radio around '95, just after Nirvana would have been played all the time.

Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti have proved to have more longevity in my collection than Nevermind or Aeroplane could ever hope to.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 07:25 AM

4,241 posts, read 8,371,813 times
To further stir the pot I am of the opinion that Robert Plant's solo material rivasl Led Zeppelin. His work with Allison Krause and Buddy Miller along with his 80's material. I'm In The Mood, Big Log, and of course Lighten Up Baby. Brilliant pieces of work!

Old 08-10-2013, 08:35 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,026,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
To further stir the pot I am of the opinion that Robert Plant's solo material rivasl Led Zeppelin. His work with Allison Krause and Buddy Miller along with his 80's material. I'm In The Mood, Big Log, and of course Lighten Up Baby. Brilliant pieces of work!

I definitely would not agree his solo work rivals zeppelin BUT he's in only of handful of front men who really made it after the band. Others Peter Gabriel, Natalie Merchant, Morrissey.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:33 AM

11,479 posts, read 7,892,781 times
iirc, Black Dog was the first Led Zeppelin song I heard when my brother spinned their fourth album LP when it came out (1971) on the turntable. Very distinctive opening notes and lyrics. I was hooked.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:53 PM

10,402 posts, read 7,845,407 times
When the first LP came out. I was over a friends house and he had it.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:48 PM

337 posts, read 532,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
iirc, Black Dog was the first Led Zeppelin song I heard when my brother spinned their fourth album LP when it came out (1971) on the turntable. Very distinctive opening notes and lyrics. I was hooked.
Ah yes, Black Dog, I think it's in a weird time signature 6/8 or something like that, the riff is tricky to play.

For me it was 1975.
While discussing songs we liked while waiting for class to begin, Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven was mentioned as being the best rock song ever written.
Up to that point I had only been listening to TOP 40 AM radio, which mainly played bubble gum music.
Embarrassingly, I had never heard of Zeppelin
At school, if we behaved ourselves in art class (which was rare), the teacher would let us listen to music. Just a few days after hearing about Led Zep was one of those rare behaving good days.
The radio was tuned to a FM rock radio station and Stairway to Heaven came on.
I was impressed but I actually prefered the song that was on before it (Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man).
It did however help make me switch over from listening to TOP 40 AM to the FM rock station.
FM rock radio was very good in the mid-70s, the DJ's were super cool and it seemed like they just
played whatever music they wanted to play.
Older Zep songs like Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and Ramble On were played almost as much as
brand new stuff like Kashmir and The Rover.
I did ask for a Led Zep album that christmas...their debut album.
My best friend's older brother told me to try and get the old Atlantic Records "red label" version of
the album as it sounds significantly better. A few years later I managed to obtain one at a used record store, I still have it, and yes it does sound much better, clearer, not as muffled.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:27 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,433,352 times
I actually first heard of them in the news rather than any song of theirs. I was about 9 years old in 75 and living in the Tampa Bay area when they came to Tampa Stadium and the crowd got out of control when a thunderstorm cut their show short. It was front page news and I don't think the stadium hosted concerts for several years after that. It wasn't till a few years later that I started picking up used albums and cassettes at flea markets and listened to them over and over. I was particularly fond of "When the Levee Breaks".

Old 08-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 908,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I definitely would not agree his solo work rivals zeppelin BUT he's in only of handful of front men who really made it after the band. Others Peter Gabriel, Natalie Merchant, Morrissey.

100% agree that solo Plant was not the same as Zep. As for Gabriel, Merchant and Morrissey I'd go even further and say solo they were better than they were when with Genesis, 10k Maniacs and the Smiths.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:18 AM

38,180 posts, read 67,999,789 times
No doubt I was listening to the radio long about 1969 ...

Old 08-12-2013, 02:58 PM

337 posts, read 532,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No doubt I was listening to the radio long about 1969 ...
Tell me more Ohiogirl, I'm intrigued

All I remember about 1969, you couldn't turn on the radio without hearing "Sugar Sugar"
Monster hit of that summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music