U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 03:05 AM

255 posts, read 347,887 times

Advertisements

Throughout the 90's I was a massive Nirvana fan. There's no question what there place in American rock history is. It's significant. I think Cobain's death made them more popular than they ever would have been. This is true with all early deaths of rock musicians. But, nonetheless, they are ensconced in our psyche.

My question now is this: Is Nirvana's music dated? I just listened to their "Unplugged" album and it left me wanting. I used to listen to this album and feel mesmerized. The same goes for "Nevermind". A recent listen left me feeling nostalgic, but not much else.

And it's not the age of the music. There are albums from the 80's and even 70's I can listen to that sound fresh and unvarnished by time. Could it be that Nirvana was so horribly copied by so many other bands that their own legacy suffers from it? And what of the fashion? Those musty looking sweaters and long-ish hair pushed behind the ears. I admit it, I wore them, and I wore my hair the same way too. Is my rejection of Nirvana a rejection of my old self?

Possibly. But I wore eyeliner in the late 80's and I can still put on "Disintegration" and be wow'd by it.

I guess at some point we all reject the old self. Is it that simple?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 03:53 AM

12,445 posts, read 12,332,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
...Is Nirvana's music dated?...
Yep - they're relegated to historical obscurity just like The Beatles.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:52 PM

19,170 posts, read 22,856,153 times
What do you mean by "dated?"

If you mean obviously representative of its era, then yeah, absolutely. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry are dated, but they are still undisputed classics.

Nirvana was a huge influence on popular music. They single-handedly killed the hairbands, and for that deed alone they should be given the Nobel Peace Prize and a 200 foot statue in Puget Sound. That said ... they aren't as great as people remember them. Like other good bands, they had quite a few truly great songs, several really good songs, and a whole bunch of filler material.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:07 PM

4,124 posts, read 8,072,059 times
They are not dated. They are iconic! I liked them when they were first out, but I did not realize the brilliance until years later. Especially today. Kurt is speaking to me. I am a Pisces and so was Kurt.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:58 AM

13,826 posts, read 23,339,965 times
I'm not only a Pisces, but I'm also left handed like Kurt was. And I think they are indeed dated. They were not, as far as I'm concerned, iconic on the level of The Beatles or The Rolling Stones. None of the grunge era was that phenomenal, if you really think about it.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:29 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,268,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I'm not only a Pisces, but I'm also left handed like Kurt was. And I think they are indeed dated. They were not, as far as I'm concerned, iconic on the level of The Beatles or The Rolling Stones. None of the grunge era was that phenomenal, if you really think about it.
Strangely I agree.
I thought Nevermind was amazing when it came out back in 91.
I listened to it a lot.
I rarely listen to it these days but when I'm knida blah to it.
IMO it hasn't aged well.

Not so with the Beatles, their stuff continuous to amaze me.
Currently I'm into their song Hey Bulldog, Lennon wrote it as a throw away,
he never thought much of it and always slagged it off in every interview.
For me it's so cool, the riff, Harrison's solo,
and McCartney's jaw dropping bass work, the overall sound and even Ringo's drumming.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:41 AM

5,655 posts, read 6,090,596 times
Yes. I feel Nirvana is dated. However, an earlier band that's often credited as a main influence on grunge - the Replacements - does not feel dated to me, except for some of the throwaway songs on the first couple of punk/thrash albums.

I think it has something to do with the depressing nature of lyrics/beat.

In my car I've been listening to Zappa lately. Other than the occasional Moog sounds, doesn't sound dated at all.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:16 PM

1,620 posts, read 1,567,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Interestingly, my girlfriend has always preferred post-1990 music for a specific reason - the lyrics. She finds them much more personal and heartfelt than most of the 60's and 70's groups (with a few clear exceptions like Joni Mitchell). She especially dislikes the Beatles for this reason.

I don't agree with her, but I do think it's a valid point of view.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:24 PM

366 posts, read 606,978 times
I have been listening to Nirvana for 20 years . Most of the music I listen to is from the 90's.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:43 PM

607 posts, read 1,185,068 times
Nah. I'm still a teenager and I listen to them regularly. Were a huge influence on most of my favorite bands (mostly nu-metal).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music