Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:06 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times

Advertisements

I've seen a few of the "favorite guitarist" threads on this forum over the past several months. I thought I'd mix things up a little bit by asking the same basic question about other instruments as well. Some unusual instruments would make this thread more interesting. What are some of your favorite instruments, and who are the famous musicians that play them?

Some of my favorites are:

Fiddle- Charlie Daniels, Allison Krauss, Mark O'Connor, Rob Hajacos
Mandolin- Ricky Skaggs, Rhonda Vincent
Piano- Elton John, Billy Joel
Guitar- Brad Paisley, Vince Gill, Steve Wariner
Accordion- Flaco Jimenez
Trumpet- Herb Alpert
Flute- Ian Anderson

Other instruments I enjoy, though I can't name any musicians off the top of my head, are:

Banjo
Dobro
Steel Guitar

Can anyone name any famous musicians that play these instruments? I'm sure when I hear of some of them, I'll be thinking "I should have thought of them!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 03:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Fiddle: Ashley MacIsaac. End of story. It's just too bad he's such an asstool.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:49 PM

550 posts, read 1,234,754 times
Allison Krauss told her stage name from a woman who was shot dead at Kent state.

If you like Ian Anderson, upload the song "All Along You Knew" by Honeymoon Suite. He plays flute on it. It's from 1986 and you probably never heard this song before if you're in the US because it's a Canadian band.

Ashley MacIsaac recently got married ... to a guy.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:49 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Good thread JDavid! I'll go with banjo on this post. How about Earl Scruggs, his son Randy, Bill Monroe(usually on fiddle, a little on banjo), Doc Watson, Tim O'Brian(of the group Hot Rize), Mason Williams, but my favorite banjo guy was John Hartford. I was very lucky to see him AND meet him at a few Telluride shows. He passed away in 2003 after battling Non-Hodgkins lymphoma for the better half of two decades. Another favorite of mine who did a little banjo on his 1985 effort High Country Snows was Dan Fogelberg. I miss Fogelberg and Hartford; both were gifted musicians.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:00 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,935,813 times
Harmonica: That's the instrument that truly defined the J. Geils band. Richard Salwitz, known as Magic Dick, could not have been in a more perfect band to ply his craft.

Whammer Jammer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WwB4bLwbWE

Old 01-02-2008, 11:42 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Harmonica: That's the instrument that truly defined the J. Geils band. Richard Salwitz, known as Magic Dick, could not have been in a more perfect band to ply his craft.

Whammer Jammer

YouTube - Magic Dick - Whammer Jammer
Harmonica! Excellent! How could I forget that? I knew there was something that I liked that I wasn't thinking of. Thanks for the post, Square Peg! I like Clint Black on harmonica, and I'm sure if I think about it long enough, I'll think of several others as well.

Double H: Lots of great Banjo Players there!

Thanks to all the others who posted. There are a lot of interesting ideas floating around here!

Old 01-03-2008, 02:21 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Well when it comes to Harmonica, how's about John Popper?

Old 01-03-2008, 01:17 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
On the subject of dobro, there are some pretty good ones out there that are worth a mention; Jerry Douglas, Tut Taylor, and one of the early ones from Lester Flatt/Earl Scruggs heyday is Josh Graves. One of my personal favorites is Mike Auldridge. He has put out a lot of stuff over 3 decades. If you listen closely to the Buffalo Springfields "A Childs Claim to Fame" you'll hear the dobro played by James Burton! That song is from their second album, from the summer of '67. Agreat dobro sampler CD for the uninitiated is The Great Dobro sessions, which came out in the early 90's on the Sugarhill label. These names might not be that familiar but here's one that is. the artist that wrote some of the liner notes for the CD itself is a dobro guy himself- Jon Fogerty!

Old 01-03-2008, 03:07 PM

139 posts, read 375,472 times
For violin, I really like Miri-Ben Ari - she's known as "The Hip-Hop Violinist" I'm not a huge fan of hip-hop music, but Miri-Ben Ari's music has a cool edge to it

Old 01-03-2008, 07:43 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Gene Frenkle played a killer cowbell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music