Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your preferred way to listen to music?
CD 6 31.58%
MP3/Digital 3 15.79%
Vinyl 10 52.63%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 12:40 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times

Advertisements

What is your preferred way to listen to music?

For me right now, its MP3 for new music but vinyl for anything that was originally produced on the format. Eventually I may start buying current music on vinyl because I believe its a superior way to own and enjoy an album.

CD, when done right, is the best format but the way they are mastered and compressed today gives them little advantage over MP3. If you want quality, you pretty much have to go vinyl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 07:41 PM

10 posts, read 9,670 times
I only chose digital because that's where my main collection is at, and that's how I mostly listen to my music. Vinyls are a neat novelty in my opinion, not really practical but really neat. I'm 50/50 on CDs, because I enjoy the physical aspect but it's underwhelming at times.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:58 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
CD primarily. Sometimes I listen to music online as well.

I honestly don't understand why Vinyl has become so popular again, other than for purposes of nostalgia. I myself grew up in the '80's, and remember Vinyl records very well. I didn't like them (even at the time), because they would scratch/skip, and IMHO never sounded that great.

Conversely, I do really like CD's, and have collected them for many years. I like the fact that CD's are smaller & more compact than Vinyl; plus, you can play them in your car, computer, etc. Sure, they scratch (just like records do), but no format is perfect...

The only advantage I see to Vinyl is purely aesthetic: A Vinyl record cover is larger than a CD cover, and can include things like liner notes, artwork, etc. Other than that, I don't see the attraction....That being said, I will say that Vinyl is superior to cassettes (though you used to be able to play cassettes in your car, and couldn't do that with Vinyl).

Just my .02....

Old 02-16-2016, 08:52 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
CDs here. Not into digital at all.

But I still have my old vinyls, and always will as long as I have a turn-table (and I'll always have a turn-table as long as I can find them). I've thought about buy a few vinyls again.

Actually, I have kept my old cassettes because my cassette player still works beautifully, so I'll keep those until the darn thing finally decides to break. I was playing some cassettes a few nights ago.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:57 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,838 times
Digital is what I listen to 99.99% of the time. The other small percent is CD but thats very rare. I got rid of all albums and tapes long ago. Dont really miss them for sound quality at all, CD is much better and MP3 is better also. All my listening is done in the car and MP3s are exceptional for that use.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:58 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I honestly don't understand why Vinyl has become so popular again, other than for purposes of nostalgia. I myself grew up in the '80's, and remember Vinyl records very well. I didn't like them (even at the time), because they would scratch/skip, and IMHO never sounded that great.
If you have a good turntable/speakers and you have a record that has been taken care of and was mastered analog, then vinyl does sound better. I am not completely sold on it for newer music, but for older stuff that was originally released that way, I think it does sound better. Like when I am listening to classic jazz, it simply sounds like the band is in my living room on vinyl. On digital, it has a harsh, tinny sound, at least to my ears.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:59 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If you have a good turntable/speakers and you have a record that has been taken care of and was mastered analog, then vinyl does sound better. I am not completely sold on it for newer music, but for older stuff that was originally released that way, I think it does sound better. Like when I am listening to classic jazz, it simply sounds like the band is in my living room on vinyl. On digital, it has a harsh, tinny sound, at least to my ears.
I'm not doubting this. However, it sounds like you would have to spend a lot of $ on a good turntable/speakers & then spend even more $ on the vinyl records themselves. Plus, you probably have to spend a lot of time with the care/maintenance of the records.

Personally, I don't have the $ or the room to invest in this type of thing. The record player & the records themselves take up a lot of space.

Plus:

1) I primarily listen to music in my car, on CD's. Obviously, you can't get a record player for your car these days (though I think you could in the past).

2) I don't want to have to re-buy anything I already have on CD on Vinyl - too much money/hassle.

On another note, I had a combo cassette deck/CD player combo that I got back in 2000; it crapped out about a year ago. I didn't have any cassette's left, so I gladly threw this out. I just don't have room for old, broken tech....

Old 02-17-2016, 05:46 PM

251 posts, read 175,446 times
CDs all the way. I can take them in the truck and they store easily in my tower racks at home. I don't own any form of digital iPod, MP3.....none of that.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:25 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
I'm cool with CDs. I also think CDs will stick around longer than cassettes because CDs are digital and can be used in today's digital world.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:15 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
On a great sound system, you can't beat vinyl. However, I think most of us tend to listen to our music on the go, which means we're used to MP3s and other digital formats.

CDs should stick around for quite a long time. Sound quality is tops and they are still portable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music