Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 05:52 PM

18,235 posts, read 25,894,159 times

Advertisements

Of all the groups that came out of San Francisco from the mid to late 1960's, without a doubt that the most popular band would be the Jefferson Airplane. There are people who sing, then there are people who put passion into their style of music. That would be IMHO Marty Balin, who founded the band along with Paul Kantner in 1965. He died yesterday at the age of 76. I had read reports recently about his heart surgery and some of the problems he had dealt with since that operation.

Growing up in Denver I loved going to the local mom and pop record stores and at one of them I was introduced to their music via a promo single that was given to me by the store owner--"It's No Secret" I was blown away with this song and the emotion from this singer, thinking surely I'd be hearing this tune on the radio soon. Never happened. It did get me to purchase their first lp entitled "Takes Off." This was November of 1966.

Six months later here comes "Somebody To Love" and then "White Rabbit." Surrealistic Pillow was the lp that was released around the next June. I remember buying that 8 track at my local Woolworth's and loved everything about it. That passion, that emotion was coming in loud and clear with two songs--"Today" and "Coming Back To me." Again, that would be Marty Balin. By the time their sixth lp called "Volunteers" was released, RCA finally had a top drawer rock band who were cranking out some of the best product of the late 1960's.

The band had their ups and downs. Marty left in 1971 and his absence was really felt with their next two lp's--Bark and Long John Silver. But when Jorma Kaukonen and bass man Jack Casady formed their alter ego Hot Tuna, Marty was brought back by Paul. By that time the band took a new name-Jefferson Starship. One listen to their "Blows Against The Empire" lp on side 2--well, Paul took the band to a new planet all right. But with their next few lp's Dragonfly, Red Octopus, and Earth, Marty brought the band back to some great, great music. In between those lp's was one of Marty's own, called Bodacious D.F.

Those years saw so much great music. I play the Airplane's catalog frequently. And the Slick/Kantner lp's. And the Hot Tuna lp's. And the Slick solo lp's. And the Papa John Creach lp's. And of course the Marty Balin lp's. Some are classics, some are a little lacking, and there's a clunker or two in there. No matter. It was and always will be a special decade for rock and roll.

RIP, Marty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 07:19 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,520,140 times
So very sad. I loved his voice and songwriting. One of my favorites was from their SF psychedelic era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCTkBGrai_w

Old 09-28-2018, 07:23 PM

20,885 posts, read 9,579,210 times
^ I was just going to post that song. One of my JA faves.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:23 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,488,938 times
In memoriam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m8izf-oXY4

Old 09-28-2018, 07:28 PM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Aw, sad.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:54 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,345,694 times
Sad news. RIP. The name Jefferson Airplane, “is a whole new idea. The mammal field has been exhausted.” - Marty Balin, Datebook August 29, 1965.
https://t.umblr.com/redirect?z=https...d-rock-how&m=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j1Wz-2dP-M

Old 09-28-2018, 09:00 PM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
^Love it. Never heard that quote. Ha.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:50 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,313,851 times
RIP Marty. Never a fan of the band, but I knew who he was and liked the song "Hearts" which you used to hear on the radio occasionally.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:57 PM

68,349 posts, read 54,477,544 times
Sad news, the Airplane was and remains one of my all time favorite bands. Only had the opportunity to see them once in Port Chester NY, a concert that's still a fond memory. The vinyl's gonna have to come out tonight! I need to get an alarm clock that has Gracie saying "It's the new dawn" in the morning.

R.I.P

Old 09-30-2018, 05:26 PM

1,584 posts, read 984,320 times
Fascinating and historically important band, in particular a major exponent of psychedelic rock. For me, their best album by far is “Surrealistic Pillow,” which is wonderful from start to finish, though most of their first album “Takes Off” is also excellent. “Volunteers” has a couple good songs on it as well, especially the title track.

They unfortunately released a lot of pretty tough stuff to listen to (“Crown of Creation,” “Bark,” and “Long John Silver” for three), though for better or worse they never felt the need to compromise their message. In fact, I remember reading somewhere that they considered “Surrealistic Pillow” to be a bit of a sellout and not a release they valued heavily.

Balin was a crucial part of the band, especially the first two albums, which I consider their best. Important member of an important band.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music