Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vampire Weekend
Great to see them at #1! 8 47.06%
I don't care. 5 29.41%
Hipster garbage. 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:30 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,216 times

Advertisements

Wow...never saw this coming. I guess they have a bigger following (especially on college campuses) than I thought. Great to see an "indie" band #1 on the billboard albums chart (for once). Thoughts....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e0u11rgd9Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 09:46 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
That is #1?

You know I am giving all your so called Indi material an honest look. You know....trying to open the mind a bit. I have said some good things when deserved, you know that. But if this is what college kids are listening to I feel so very blessed to #1....have no kids......and #2.....have been born early enough to experience the great music.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
That is #1?

You know I am giving all your so called Indi material an honest look. You know....trying to open the mind a bit. I have said some good things when deserved, you know that. But if this is what college kids are listening to I feel so very blessed to #1....have no kids......and #2.....have been born early enough to experience the great music.
Haha...its cool. It definitely isn't for everyone (my friends give me hell all the time for listening to it). I guess thats why I find it strange that a band like this is at number 1.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:43 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,927 times
Reminds me of a couple of old Walt Mink songs. Well, they're not old like desertsun41 is old, but early t mid 90s-ish.

There has certainly been a load of hype for this one. And marketing, really. XL is not your average indie label. Still, I'm surprised. Is that #1 for all albums sold for the week in any genre in the whole world? Man, maybe there's hope. I may pick this one up and see if it's a grower although I'm not feeling it yet. Better this than... well, virtually anything else I would have expected to be on the list. I wonder if the new Yeasayer will repeat the feat -- it's also had a ton of hype.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:57 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,683 times
I listen to a lot of newer stuff...but I've never seen the appeal of this particular band.
Not sure if the 'AfroPop Angle' hooks many of their listeners or what the draw is...?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:30 AM

319 posts, read 634,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
I listen to a lot of newer stuff...but I've never seen the appeal of this particular band.
Not sure if the 'AfroPop Angle' hooks many of their listeners or what the draw is...?
These guys just rub me the wrong way for some reason. I don't know if it's the whole "We're from the Ivy League and flaunt it" thing or what, but they just **** me off. On the flip side, I guess if they pretended they weren't rich kids (I'm looking at you The Strokes), I'd be pissed off too. I guess it just seems a little too...I don't know...country club safe for me. Having said that, people tend to love 'em, so god bless boys, go make some cash.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeproud View Post
These guys just rub me the wrong way for some reason. I don't know if it's the whole "We're from the Ivy League and flaunt it" thing or what, but they just **** me off. On the flip side, I guess if they pretended they weren't rich kids (I'm looking at you The Strokes), I'd be pissed off too. I guess it just seems a little too...I don't know...country club safe for me. Having said that, people tend to love 'em, so god bless boys, go make some cash.
hah
You just articulated how I feel about those guys; something bothered me but I couldn't quite pinpoint it until reading your post.
Seeing Pitchfork worship at their feet does not improve my attitude.
IMHO it's an unfair prejudice and I must overcome it, I do like their stuff if I don't adore it; I certainly do not dislike them for incorporating that poppy African sound.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:52 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,099,790 times
these guys are OK, my biggest problem with them is with most of there songs I can't understand the lyrics. The music's OK though

Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeproud View Post
How did The Strokes pretend not to be rich?
...by not playing 'rich kid' songs??

I like 'em and I've never gotten the impression they pretended to be anything other than musicians.
Hmm...

Old 01-21-2010, 07:37 AM

319 posts, read 634,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
How did The Strokes pretend not to be rich?
...by not playing 'rich kid' songs??

I like 'em and I've never gotten the impression they pretended to be anything other than musicians.
Hmm...
Let me rephrase. The Strokes always struck me as a mixture of style and substance (which is pretty common throughout R&R history) and the fact that the trashy, glammy, dirty NYC style that they showed was in pretty stark contrast to the overseas boarding school/elite prep school reality. Vampire Weekend on the other hand has an image that embraces that elite prep school reality. Different sides of the same coin perhaps.

I wasn't trying to take away from The Strokes. Maybe a better example would've been Kid Rock, who grew up in a pretty wealthy suburb of Detroit but cultivates an image that is used to make people think he was born in a trailer someplace.

Having said that, life experiences shape your music and I don't know enough about the lives of the members of the guys in The Strokes to know how life post silver spoon has influenced their sound. I do feel sort of bad for them though, as they seem to be maligned as the start of the new NYC hipsterism and they got turned on, I think, to a degree by the same crowd that loved them (but, that is life in music, isn't it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music