Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 02:19 PM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,976 times

Advertisements

by late 80's I was tired of c*** rock...every song, about getting laid, same tired wanky guitar acrobat solos
I loved the crue, dokken, ratt, ozzy, def leppard...even loved me some poison
but I was sick of it

U2 Joshua tree changed my world...got into alternative college radio...
then grunge hit and I loved that era...nirvana not so much...loved AIC

and now...decades later...I again love me some hair metal...even winger and warrant...love me some alternative and older U2...but other than alice in chains, grunge labeled music (pearl jam, nirvana, soundgarden) not so much

Old 04-03-2018, 03:04 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
Six'x's songwriting? Deep stuff. Ha, ha!

Old 04-03-2018, 03:13 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Bon Jovi? Metal? And........Winger? Really?

Hey Stuart, say "Hi" to Beavis and Butthead for me.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:37 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
A few more comments before I move on...

Mudhoney was one of the first grunge bands and their song"Touch me, I'm sick" was heavily punk flavored.

Many people who hate grunge never heard Mudhoney, the Melvins or Green River.

Was Hammerbox grunge? I don't know for sure but it came out the same time and was pretty good. Riot girl was its own thing but shared elements with grunge. Kathleen Hanna of Bikini Kill and later groups was responsible for the "Smells like Teen Spirit lyric, rocked hard with angst and good humor. The women singers in Seattle at that time had the angst AND something positive. The Nymphs were barely a blip on the radar but they had a few good songs.

Grunge musicianship? I am not a musician but if you go for a certain sound and you deliver what you intended, you are probably good. Grunge went for mostly dark, simple and distorted and got there. It fits with the northwest environment (or at least pre peak level Microsoft / Amazon northwest. It has native culture links / undertones. Dark ones. It wasn't about riding around urban areas, going to house parties or clubs. It was about living under dark skies, marathon rains and with an uncertain future post the logging heyday. The angst of many of the original grunge musicians was real, not a pose.) They didn't do flamboyant solos mainly cuz they didn't want to and that didn't fit.

Was Bush grunge? Probably. They were pretty good. Garbage was good. Queens of the Stone Age has some grunge heritage as Josh was briefly in Mudhoney I think. Veruca Salt, part grunge, part more upbeat / fun. Foo Fighters are probably the best grunge descendants. They brought more positive energy and pop rock. They might be considered a grunge / hair metal hybrid perhaps.

Courtney Love is many things but as unpopular as she is, and mostly rightly so, she actually put out some good rock / punk songs.

There is a class or neighborhood clash with the hair metal and grunge AUDIENCES. Less so amongst the musicians themselves. Clash isn't necessary bad. It probably needs to happen. But everyone can decide how much to talk / listen or if to talk / listen at all.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-03-2018 at 08:18 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 07:58 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Bon Jovi? Metal? And........Winger? Really?

Hey Stuart, say "Hi" to Beavis and Butthead for me.
Like many drummers, when I found out that session super-drummer Rod Morgenstein was in a new band, I sat up and took notice. Winger is a far more technically proficient band than Nirvana or any of the complaint-rock bands of the early nineties. Even Winger's cover of Purple Haze has some great chops applied in just the right proportions and the right times to give it a brilliantly syncopated funk-rock fusion feel to which Nirvana and the other grungies could never hold a candle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO7syibmPnk

Old 04-03-2018, 08:34 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
I'll call it a good cover. Jimi Hendrix and his piece of classic rock comes out the winner though.

I don't know if Dave Grohl does covers but he is probably plenty capable. Alice in Chains and Gretchen Wilson absolutely nailed Barracuda on some MTV award show. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BqQkECIn738

Old 04-03-2018, 09:08 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Like many drummers, when I found out that session super-drummer Rod Morgenstein was in a new band, I sat up and took notice. Winger is a far more technically proficient band than Nirvana or any of the complaint-rock bands of the early nineties. Even Winger's cover of Purple Haze has some great chops applied in just the right proportions and the right times to give it a brilliantly syncopated funk-rock fusion feel to which Nirvana and the other grungies could never hold a candle.
Thanks for sharing, Kip.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:48 PM

95 posts, read 53,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO7syibmPnk
Winger made 3 albums for Atlantic and have a best of comp through Rhino/Atlantic. I feel bad for Kip. Their 3rd album came out during the grunge era and MTV was actually playing the first single from it and sales were OK but then Beavis & Butthead came along and helped kill the album for them by having their nerd friend in a Winger shirt and making fun of their videos. Winger was all studio musicians that producer Beau Hill used to use as ringers when actual bands couldn't or wouldn't play. Love these guys and never understood the bashing they received back in the day. It was Beavis and Butthead that created the big hate for them. Never understood why people made fun of them so much. Kip and Rob are extremely talented. I saw them live back in the day--it was amazing to me that Kip could actually play and sing...I mean, play like THAT and sing like THAT. Shame Winger became the epitome of everything wrong with hair metal because of Metallica and beavis and butthead. They are all really very talented. The whole Beavis/Butthead thing or war with words with Metallica I could care less about but it made Winger a joke with most rock fans I know. Ya know, Winger catches a lot of heat and are the butt of a lot of jokes but one thing is for sure, Reb Beach can play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMKPQKU61QI

Old 04-04-2018, 06:11 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,201 times
The only Winger song I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCbJSGWim9E

Reb Beach has also played with Whitesnake and Alice Cooper. He's got chops *and* pedigree.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:25 PM

95 posts, read 53,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
The only Winger song I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCbJSGWim9E

Reb Beach has also played with Whitesnake and Alice Cooper. He's got chops *and* pedigree.
Most underrated hard rock band ever. Kip, Reb and Rod were all killer musicians. They are a criminally under appreciated band . Musically I think they were among the most talented. Seventeen was a piece of **** though. I think they would have been much more popular without that track in their arsenal.

I remember Pull getting huge reviews and many rated it among the best releases of the year. Much different sound without the keyboards. Lyrics were awesome. They really were a great group of musicians. Anyone remember when Kip Winger and Lars Ulrich had their feud when Kip said that their music was so more technical that Metallica wouldn't be able to play it and challenged him to a jam off? All bull**** aside, 1992 I would show up to school wearing a Metallica or Megadeth shirt one day and a Winger or Warrant shirt the next. Didn't give a ****. I've never understood why so many hate this band, there were many bands much worse than Winger; Reb Beach is an amazing guitarist and Kip Winger delivered good vocal performances.

"Pull" and "IV" are great albums. Kip's voice is natural and a great mix of 80s metal style, a slight rasp, and it's sultry as well in the "Headed For A Heartbreak" single, something only a handful of 80s glam metal bands had.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSFvK4Pzasg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music