U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 11:48 PM

840 posts, read 474,770 times

Advertisements

As much as we (myself included) enjoy Elvis Presley's music, I marvel at those obsessive fans who go to the extreme. Those fans whose entire houses are jam-packed with Elvis memorabilia, to the point where their houses are bursting at the seams.

Then there are also those who impersonate Elvis, and I'm not talking about professional performers either but just fans who impersonate. There used to be a local middle-aged man here locally who always used to hang around at the mall and always had on Elvis make-up. That is, he even had on Eyeliner make-up to impersonate. As I said, not a professional entertainer at all but just a fan who impersonated.
So do you know of any obsessive extreme fans in your town that you can tell about? For that matter, are you one yourself? And extreme in what way?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 01:17 PM

15,149 posts, read 11,855,327 times
If there was justice in this world all the ETAs would be dead and Elvis would still be alive. Kaufman's impersonation was a celebration of Elvis,plus this is the man that invented the form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r59AWfhwpPg

I think Elvis was incredible but I'm not obsessive about it. I don't personally know anyone who is. About the only Elvis memorabilia I have is a bottle of Elvis wine purchased at an Elvis performance I went to in the 70's at the Houston fat stock and Rodeo. I think alot of people deal with his loss by keeping him alive with his music and impersonations.
Also Kurt Russell plays a mean Elvis.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:41 PM

17,064 posts, read 22,390,578 times
I'm not as active in the music trade shows as I used to but Elvis stuff still does ok. When you're talking about the Gen Y's and Millennials vinyl collectors, I've seen them buy re-issue lp's of compilations. They understand the collectibility-they understand why certain soundtrack Elvis lp's such as "Speedway", "Kid Galahad" and a few dozen others go for anywhere from 5 to 50 dollars. They understand why the very last lp released in monaural in RCA's catalog ("Speedway") sells for 4 grand in pristine shape. But they just want a representation of that era. They understand his importance, his relevance. So what sells the best is the 3 lp set of Presley's #1 chart hits, released in 1970.

But the older collectors still keep his interest up. There is a point though, when those collectors start dying off. That's where the foreign interest comes in. Collectors from Europe, Australia, Japan and other foreign countries have been buying American vinyl for decades and Elvis releases are in that group as well.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:05 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,919,153 times
There's really nothing particularly interesting about Elvis. He was just a guy with a good voice. The only thing interesting about him is that he put his career on hold to join the military. Most stars would not do that.

If you're interested in other Elvis stuff, look up Graceland Too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graceland_Too

Old 07-15-2018, 07:23 PM

1,408 posts, read 691,272 times
A long time ago, for some unknown reason, I was watching an episode of Divorce Court. The guy was an Elvis impersonator, and the wife was divorcing him claiming he was mentally unstable and really believed he was Elvis.

He denied all this on the stand, claiming it was just an act and he was as sane as the next guy.

The wife get to testify, and while on the stand, says something like, "He's not even a very good impersonator", and the guy loses his ****, jumps up and starts yelling, "I'm the King! You can't say that about me!"

He lost.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:49 AM

4,693 posts, read 778,088 times
Happy Birthday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU5x...yqw84CmcYZGCIt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music