U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:27 PM

7 posts, read 20,700 times

Advertisements

They are coming out with a new DVD! O man, its live performances of some of their greatest songs like Break on Through and Light My Fire, as well as footage and rare interviews form the late great Jim Morrison. The clip below gave me a taste of what was on the DVD and it comes out april 22nd!!! Enjoy!

http://fontana.edgeboss.net/wmedia/fontana/thedoors/thedoorsclassicclip.wvx

----------
Matt J
We chased our pleasures here
Dug our treasures there
But can you still recall
The time we cried- The Doors umgd
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 02:03 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,686,207 times
This is great. I love The Doors.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:45 PM

13,395 posts, read 42,695,012 times
Saw them perform back in 1970. Morrison was on the tipsy side, but his voice was unforgettable.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:52 PM

5,786 posts, read 13,028,007 times
Some folks love them and some folks hate them. Either way, blame it on Jim. The Doors wouldn't have been the same without him, though. The proof being that their two studio albums after his death weren't as interesting for the simple reason that he just wasn't there. In my book, they were one of the all-time great live bands when Morrison could keep it together. I wished I'd seen them (envious, there, BWP) is all I can say.

Here's one of my favorites:

YouTube - The Doors ~ The Crystal Ship

Old 04-08-2008, 07:03 AM

34,990 posts, read 36,816,998 times
Good old Jim. Thanks square peg!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:47 AM

17,203 posts, read 23,017,431 times
Square Peg is right. The Doors (with Morrison) started off with a bang and ended with a bang. Other voices and Full Circle came out in '71 and '72 but that big, booming lead vocal wasn't there and sadly the LP's did poorly on sales. In the early '80s their career really boomed with the biography that came out on Jim called No One Here Gets Out Alive. Then in '91 Val Kilmer portrayed Morrison in Oliver Stone's biography of Morrison and the group. Blue Willow Plate, if memory serves, wasn't that Denver show at the University of Denver arena?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Blue Willow Plate, if memory serves, wasn't that Denver show at the University of Denver arena?
It was indeed. I lived about a mile south of DU.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:19 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,345,401 times
Mojo rising ....I agree with HH ...their debut album was very good and their last one with Morrison ...LA Woman was also good ....the ones inbetween were OK ....I think "The Soft Parade" was the weakest ....my fav song of all time is "The End" .....over 11 minutes long and it never drags ...drop D tuning ...both E strings tuned to D (just like Neil Young's Cinamon Girl) ....the percusion ...guitar ...and organ playing are amazing ... fantastic reverb ....love the organ "feedback" section they could never quite get sound as good live ....I have video of a live version from the Hollywood Bowl (July 5 1968 ...Mick Jagger was in the audience... he was in LA mixing "Beggars Banquet) ...Jim ad-lib's like crazy ...about an accident ...grasshoppers ..etc ...The Doors were unique .... they were dark when everything was flower power .... strangely Robbie Krieger (not Jim Morrison) wrote their big hits ...."Light My Fire" ..."Love Me Two Times" ...."Touch Me" .... some of the ones I really like are ..."Roadhouse Blues" (especially live with those Morrison ad-libs) ...."Riders On the Storm" (spooky) .....and "Back Door Man" (again live ...I have "The Doors Are Open" video live at London's Roundhouse Aug '68 ...eyes closed Jim starts rapping " ...we don't have along time to go...no" ...as if he knew his days were numbered

Old 04-09-2008, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
.The Doors were unique .... they were dark when everything was flower power .... strangely Robbie Krieger (not Jim Morrison) wrote their big hits ...."Light My Fire" ..."Love Me Two Times" ...."Touch Me" .... some of the ones I really like are ..."Roadhouse Blues" (especially live with those Morrison ad-libs) ...."Riders On the Storm" (spooky) .....and "Back Door Man"
Good point about being dark when everything else was flower power.

But about Robbie Krieger writing their biggest hits: Yes, it turns out that Krieger's songs were the biggest commercially, but IMHO their music was pretty much a collective effort, each band member brought something to a song. (Of course, they did not write every last song they recorded: Back Door Man was an old blues number written by Willie Dixon.) Nor should we forget Paul Rothchild as producer nor Bruce Botnick as producer/sound engineer.

I agree about Soft Parade being the weakest, but for those who are old enough to remember: it cracked me up that at the very end of Touch Me, the band recited the phrase from the Ajax commercial: "stronger than dirt."

I wonder if any one single member wrote the lyrics for Riders on the Storm?
The LA Woman album just says "all songs written by the Doors."
Ditto for the Strange Days album.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:56 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,338,836 times
Videos | Rhino TV, the home of great music videos | Artists | Videos (http://www.rhino.tv/page/search/0,,12532,00.html?clipId=268739 - broken link)

The Doors Video Interview 2007: Classic Rock Archives from ClassicRockCentral.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music