Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 08:24 PM

2,051 posts, read 9,334,937 times

Advertisements

:adjusts cummerbund as we, as a group, step from the limousine upon the cushioned softness of the red carpet. Festivities continue around the world for Obama's last night before becoming President ... wafting in the moonlight we hear...:

Nat King Cole - Unforgettable

YouTube - Unforgetable - Nat King Cole

Beyonce (Perform Etta James) - At Last

YouTube - Beyonce Perform Etta James At Last

HARRY CONNICK JR, - The Very Thought of You

YouTube - HARRY CONNICK JR, The Very Thought of You

Dinah Washington - Mad About The Boy

YouTube - Dinah Washington - Mad About The Boy

Frank Sinatra - Fly Me to the Moon Lyrics

YouTube - Frank Sinatra - Fly Me to the Moon Lyrics

Nancy Wilson - "I Was Telling Him About You"

YouTube - Nancy Wilson - "I Was Telling Him About You" from "Nancy Wilson at Carnegie Hall" (DVD)

Hoagy Carmichael - Stardust - Instrumental

YouTube - Hoagy Carmichael - Stardust

Johnny Mathis - Misty (full length)(1959)

YouTube - Johnny Mathis - Misty (full length)(1959)

Old 01-19-2009, 08:44 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
Inspired by an earlier MAMc post.

Don Mclean - Crossroads (1971)

Old 01-19-2009, 08:56 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times

YouTube - Donald Fagen-True Companion

YouTube - Steely Dan - Black Cow

YouTube - Billy Joel - Goodnight Saigon

YouTube - "Mainstreet" by Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band

YouTube - Michael Stanley-Spanish Nights - too bad the audio ain't better on this video, such a beautiful tune...

Old 01-19-2009, 09:05 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Pretty solid group there Shadowcaver. Michael Stanley? hmm. Playing his first lp on the Tumbleweed label. Song playing is Rosewood Bitters.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Pretty solid group there Shadowcaver. Michael Stanley? hmm. Playing his first lp on the Tumbleweed label. Song playing is Rosewood Bitters.
Thanks Yea, I've just about every MS/MSB album. Have loved his/their music for years... absolutely great stuff.
Such a kick driving through his town one time, turned the knob, hearing him DJ

Amazon.com: Stage Pass: Michael Stanley: Music is one of my all-time favourites,,, and no, its not just because of the cover art

Old 01-19-2009, 10:25 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
this has been stuck in my head for hours:
YouTube - The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Wild and Untamed Thing

Old 01-19-2009, 11:02 PM

223 posts, read 1,801,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Inspired by an earlier MAMc post.

Don Mclean - Crossroads (1971)
The same song came to my mind too, Square Peg, as I listened to Babylon in MadAtMcCain's earlier post. It was nice to be reminded of McLean's work.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Oh, My God!

YouTube - VAGRANTS 60's US GARAGE ROCK Leslie West Mountain
This song reminds me of the B52s work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
:::laughing so hard it hurts::: My gosh, has it really been that long? I remember this scene in the 70s. They were good memories. That's quite a bee in your bonnet.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:36 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
Welcome to the board, Paul!

Presently listening to The Animals from 1963.

Almost Grown - Live

Old 01-19-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAtMcCain View Post

1. The Fifth Dimension - Aquarius (Live 1969)

YouTube - The Fifth Dimension - Aquarius (1969)

2. The Beatles - "Revolution" (Live 1968)

YouTube - The Beatles - "Revolution" (Version 2)

3. Odetta - We shall Overcome

YouTube - Odetta - A tribute to the Voice of the Civil Rights Movement

4. Voices of Liberty - Songs of the South

YouTube - Songs of the South

5. Tata Vega - "God is trying to tell you something." - (The Color Purple)

YouTube - "God is trying to tell you something." - (The Color Purple)

6. Don McLean - Babylon (Rivers of Babylon)

YouTube - Mad Men - Rivers of Babylon (excellent)

7. Sharon Singers - You Can Always Come Home

YouTube - You Can Always Come Home

8. Amazing Grace in Cherokee

YouTube - Amazing Grace in Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Nice playlist!
Kshe95girl, I share your sentiments.

MadAtMcCain, you leave me speechless again. The vocal arrangement is exquisitely beautiful and cleansing. I am by no means a religious man, yet your musical selections transported me into a timeless dimension in which Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. became alive and powerfully vibrant, a meaningful way to meet the dawn.

Whether it was hearing Odetta again, the simple, passionate love of a people for Zion; whites singing southern slave songs; idealists defining what revolution is and is not; or Mennonites speaking to wayward sons, it was the past making itself felt in the present to those who remembered and participated in the civil rights movement... perhaps I'm not making much sense ...

I like to express my gratitude for your reviving something that I thought life had extinguished through pain and cynicism, the result of living through times of destroyed hope. The power that singing and song possessed I had long ago forgotten... maybe God is trying to tell me something. After spending this day listening to each one of your songs, I am now keenly aware that I feel fundamentally different.

As I systematically moved from one song to another, I began to feel the strength and inspiration of younger days. Memories long forgotten surfaced, to my surprise, and it was like meeting an old friend. I laughed as I recalled the joy of being a foreigner among Bedouins as well as once being that "crazy" tourist dancing with them. LOL

Potent memories of Kenya in the 70s flooded my mind and heart as I recalled participating in Massain dancing. (With the first leap or two there is a feeling of childish self-consciousness, however, if you focus on using the strength of your toes and balls of your feet to propel you, as well as a minimum bend of knees, you enter into an altered consciousness.) The tribal dance in Israel transported me back to when I was in Israel, as well as listening to Shatadoo. I recall being in the Outback living among Australian Aborigines for a season. The yodeling brought happy memories as well.

Quote:

Maasai (male) traditional Dance

YouTube - Massai Dance

:all that jumping has created an enthusiatic dancer that wants to get in the circle of dancing fun with Bedouins:

A crazy tourist - Traditional Arab Dance - Live - 28 secs

YouTube - Foreigner in the middle of traditional Arab dance

:we go to Isreal and dance under star-light at the sound of the Didjeridoo... who will enter a trance first? Let's see!:

Tribal Dance - The Mesmerizing Organic Sound (Live)

YouTube - Tribal Dance- The Mesmerizing Organic Sound

:Next an Italian Group - specializes in improvisation - African Drum, India Blow Shells, Australian Aborigines Didjeridoo:

Shatadoo & Diego Sapignoli in Cesena (Live)

YouTube - Shatadoo+Diego Sapignoli - in Cesena for Benetton

Shatadoo - N'deissan - Live 2005 (African Drums, Shells, Yidaki Didjeridoo)

YouTube - Shatadoo ( African percussions - shells - yidaki didjeridoo

:ready for a nice cold drink? Lets go to the Swiss Alps and try to yodel!: - Ends with the host's heritage - :

Franzl Lang - Einen Jodler hör i gern (?Live 1994?)

YouTube - Franzl Lang - Einen Jodler hör i gern

Hope you're having fun...
MAM, I deeply appreciate the gift of service that you extended not only to me but also to others like myself, feeling old, cranky, confined by the flu, and isolated. Then I became inspired to see what the young people were up to and logged in. Suddenly night had arrived and I was astonished that a day had passed. I hadn't experienced what the Aborigines call "dream time" in over 40 years.

Now I'm going to tease you and tell you to be careful with the sounds of the Didjeridoo and blow shells. LOL

This is simply to say thank you to everyone for their musical contributions. It is very unselfish and brings much joy to others.

Quote:
:adjusts cummerbund as we, as a group, step from the limousine upon the cushioned softness of the red carpet. Festivities continue around the world for Obama's last night before becoming President ... wafting in the moonlight we hear...:

Nat King Cole - Unforgettable

YouTube - Unforgetable - Nat King Cole

Hoagy Carmichael - Stardust - Instrumental

YouTube - Hoagy Carmichael - Stardust

Johnny Mathis - Misty (full length)(1959)

YouTube - Johnny Mathis - Misty (full length)(1959)
Wonderful selection MAM! I loved each one but knew the post would be impossibly long, so I just left my three favorites. Thank you, Son, for the incredible experience of the day. It started with a variety of songs from different cultural experiences at dawn, only ending (in the imagination) after a group ballroom experience. I've now done all my dancing without breaking a hip or throwing out my back and have had many a good laugh along the way.

This Martin Luther King Jr. Day has been my most memorable--I feel re-connected to the noble ideals of my early adult life. CNN has been in the background, while City-Data has been before me. For those of you who have served today, I admire you for transforming this holiday's meaning into one of service; for others, I wish for you a day as meaningful as mine has been.

I leave all with joy and warm wishes.

Last edited by PaulG_1; 01-20-2009 at 12:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music