Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 08:42 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,470,254 times

Advertisements

..I love Tchaikovsky...any other weirdos like myself out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 09:04 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,011,449 times
Well, I do like listening to 'em, at times. But, lol, for some reason I either picture a goofy cartoon scene, or a B&W naval movie! Seriously, I've some Bach, Mozart, T'sky, Chopin, Brahms, Beethoven, Wagner, etc. from various orchestras in my collection - but hate to admit my ears are not that fine tuned to really differentiate one from another too well. Could be that don't listen to it enough as should. But, do enjoy such music. Would be great to get any suggestions, as to favourites, what to listen for, etc. Interesting all the different styles and eras, and such, but to most ears seems that 'classical music' kinda sounds similar - and that ain't fair to represent this rich music style in that way... ok, I'm weird too.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:29 PM

hey weird minds think alike you mentioned Chopin well he definitely sticks out lol i think if you listen to one composer long enough you might get used to their style I can spot a Chopin crescendo from a mile away LOL...you mentioned TV there is ALOT of it in cartoons like you mentioned..Coyote chasing Roadrunner...Bugs Bunny...some of the greatest..and that sappy love music they always play...tchaikovskys "romeo and juliet"

Old 04-15-2008, 09:49 PM

18,134 posts, read 25,664,806 times
Shadowcaver makes some excellent points in his post. I do sometimes listen to a little classical on PBS at times. An impressive list of composers; I might add Handel, Hayden, Rachmaninoff, Franz Liszt, Mendelsson. From composers from the last 50 years my vote goes for Aaron Copeland. I might not have agreed with his politics, but his compositions are inspiring. My favorites are "Fanfare For The Common Man", "Billy The Kid", and "Appalachian Spring".

Old 04-15-2008, 10:05 PM

...Debussy comes to mind as well..."Clouds" is one of my favs. From the last 50 yrs is hard for me but I am rather impressed with Philip Glass...if you have ever seen "Notes on a Scadal"...he wrote the entire score

Old 04-15-2008, 10:07 PM

5,004 posts, read 7,839,110 times
Canon in D is about as close to musical perfection as I've ever heard. Pachelbel's simple progression is simply glorious and genius. I'm just starting to get into classical music because the "music" being put out today for the most part is crap.

The whole nutcracker soundtrack is great. Waltz of the Flowers is amazing. Tchaikovsky is pretty kick ass. Brahams and Mozart are also good.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:18 PM

Tchaikovsky is the most slept on IMO. i nearly died when Oksana Baiul (sp?) killed Kerrigan with her routine to Swan Lake....

Old 04-15-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
Canon in D is about as close to musical perfection as I've ever heard. Pachelbel's simple progression is simply glorious and genius.
No doubt about that. My friends entire wedding processional was Pachelbel the funny thing she had no clue she left the music up to the coordinator.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,128,338 times
I like classical music very much. I also like punk, new wave, and goth...go figure. On the radio the only station I listen to is the classical one.
Some of my favorites are Tchaikowsky, Richard Strauss, Mahler, and Resphigi (the Fountains, Pines of Rome and Roman Festivals) are fabulous. I was introduced to classical music 40 years ago by hearing Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherazade. Made me want to hear more classical. Then I heard Wagner and was overwhelmed by his dramatic works, such as Tristan and Isolde. A good piece for dinner time is La Mere by De Bussey. The Russians also rate well by me, Stravinsky, Prokokieff, Rachmaninov, Shastakovitch.
I probably misspelled most names.
I like piano pieces by Chopin and Liszt. But I have a hard time when the station plays string quartets or concertos for oboes, clarinets, and flutes. I don't like them and find them to be repetitive, simplistic, lacking in excitement and much too long.
My narrow preference is mostly for symphonies. I have never attended a symphonic concert, but keep planning on it.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:41 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,223,314 times
I was brought up on this stuff and it's my degree. Unfortunately, I can't pick up the excellent local PBS station which is classical except in the car. Chopin, Wagner, and Pachelbel are favs.

On my ipod I have a bunch of others some of interest may be Rodrigo, Prokofiev, Sibelius, Smetana, Holst, Elgar, Barber. Sure do miss the Bf with the $40,000 car sized stereo system and the thousands of classical Cd's.

I also listen to jazz, blues, new age, nature, 40's, dowop, zydeco, show tunes, movie soundtracks, opera, and bagpipe. Steer away from rock, country, folk, bluegrass, rap, metal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music