Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 11:35 AM

384 posts, read 229,230 times

Advertisements

Kraftwerk nominated for the Rock&Roll Hall of Fame? Tangerine Dream was the real pioneer of progressive "new age" music. There is a misconception the Kraftwerk came first. TD started three years sooner.

And was far better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVrbim8aivs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 11:44 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
I agree 100%. I've always been a a big fan of TD. I wouldn't look at the RRHOF to doing the popular/right thing. They are a joke. Edgar Froese passed away a few years ago. He was the driving force behind TD. They are still release albums though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangerine_Dream

Old 10-15-2019, 11:50 AM

384 posts, read 229,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I agree 100%. I've always been a a big fan of TD. I wouldn't look at the RRHOF to doing the popular/right thing. They are a joke. Edgar Froese passed away a few years ago. He was the driving force behind TD. Sadly, I think TD is gone as well. On the bright side is that they have tons of work already out for us to fall back on.
If it wasn't for TD, Patrick O'Hearn might have continued playing pop crappola like Missing Persons instead of being one of the greatest "new age" artists of a generation as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-i0...&start_radio=1

Old 10-15-2019, 05:54 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
I don't think you can really compare the two bands. I like both of them, but Kraftwerk seems more part of the rock music world than TD.

TD is more New Age. In fact that is how their music is classified.

Kraftwerk is classified as rock/pop. (End of discussion)

Old 10-15-2019, 06:04 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,961,779 times
"Kraftwerk?"
yeah, them.
"What about Tangerine Dream??"
did not care or did not pay to play.
payola did not go away.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:53 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I don't think you can really compare the two bands. I like both of them, but Kraftwerk seems more part of the rock music world than TD.

TD is more New Age. In fact that is how their music is classified.

Kraftwerk is classified as rock/pop. (End of discussion)
In the context of the RRHOF, the classification does not seem to matter, does it?

Whitney Houston may be pop but she's not rock, neither are some of the rap artists that have been inducted.

TD does have some songs I would classify as rock and they even use guitars, not just synthesizers. They don't do vocals however, they may have a song or two but the majority are instrumentals.

Overall though, they are relatively obscure, not well known enough. Kraftwerk is NOT rock in my opinion, that doesn't seem to matter to the RRHOF.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:17 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,667,161 times
Sometimes groups that are in the middle of a new music period are selected to be the best representation of that genre. There was Tubular bells, Mannheim Steam roller, and maybe even Trapezoid on the acoustic side. It was an amazing era 67-75. The advancements in electronic music and recording technology drew a type of musician to "rock " music who would never considered it before.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 10-16-2019 at 10:30 AM..

Old 10-17-2019, 08:44 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Consensus View Post
Tangerine Dream is a popular band. Kraftwerk shouldn't be allowed to exist.
That's just crazy!

What about the fact that TD suddenly tried to go pop as soon as Kraftwerk started getting popular?

Old 10-21-2019, 12:02 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,183 times
From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraftwerk

Quote:
According to music journalist Neil McCormick, Kraftwerk might be "the most influential group in pop history".[4] NME wrote: "'The Beatles and Kraftwerk' may not have the ring of 'the Beatles and the Stones', but nonetheless, these are the two most important bands in music history".[19] AllMusic wrote that their music "resonates in virtually every new development to impact the contemporary pop scene of the late 20th century".[5]

Kraftwerk's musical style and image can be heard and seen in 1980s synthpop groups such as Gary Numan, Ultravox, John Foxx, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Human League, Depeche Mode, Visage, and Soft Cell.[61][19][62] Kraftwerk would also go on to influence other forms of music such as hip hop, house, and drum and bass, and they are also regarded as pioneers of the electro genre.

David Bowie's "V-2 Schneider", from the 1977's Heroes album, was a tribute to Florian Schneider.[71] Post-punk bands Joy Division and New Order were heavily influenced by the band. Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis was a fan, and showed his colleagues records that would influence their music.[72] New Order also would sample "Uranium" in its biggest hit "Blue Monday".[73] Siouxsie and the Banshees recorded a cover of "Hall of Mirrors" on their 1987 album Through the Looking Glass which was lauded by Ralf Hütter: "In general, we consider cover versions as an appreciation of our work. The version of "Hall of Mirrors" by Siouxsie and the Banshees is extraordinary, just like the arrangements of Alexander Bălănescu for his Bălănescu Quartet release [of Possessed, 1992]. We also like the album El Baile Alemán of Señor Coconut a lot."[74] Members of Blondie have admitted on several occasions that Kraftwerk were an important reference for their sound by the time they were working on their third album Parallel Lines. The worldwide hit "Heart of Glass" turned radically from an initial reggae-flavoured style to its distinctive electronic sound in order to imitate the technological approach of Kraftwerk's albums and adapt it to a disco concept.[75] U2 recorded a cover version of "Neon Lights" as did Simple Minds
They definitely belong in the Hall of Fame. The bands in the last paragraph undoubtedly fall into the "Rock" category.

(Ever hear the Neil Young album, Trans, that sounds like Kraftwerk?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eblFQppJfyg

Old 10-22-2019, 07:28 PM

2,495 posts, read 866,471 times
Except it's not New Age. That's how historical revisionism starts. File under Electronic Music. Mannheim Steamroller is New Age. Shadowfax is New Age.

Team Zappa did their best work under Missing Persons and UK.

Autobahn still stands up today. Listened to it again mere months ago. Can't listen to any other Kraftwerk.

Did Tangerine Dream do anything other than Stratosfear? It's kind of, okay, does it end or does it just keep going?

Synergy. Sequencer. Cords.

Last edited by eastriver; 10-22-2019 at 07:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music