Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 11:53 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times

Advertisements

I've been chuckling to myself over the past (close to) 50 years as I hear the same ol' tired lament at the dissing of the "new music". Started with the old high school gang that couldn't see past Jethro Tull and Led Zeppelin, but probably occurred back at the beginning of music when Thog and Moo-ac first banged a couple of sticks rhythmically on stretched hide instead of a rock.

Music being produced now is as good as it ever has been but people tend to be firmly entrenched in the nostalgia of their teens and early years, and the music that played as a soundtrack to that time.

7 years ago...

6 years ago...

5 years ago...

4 years ago...

3 years ago...

2 years ago...

1 year ago...

4 mos. ago...

lots to ***** about these days, but the new music seems to be alive and well, thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 05:26 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,530,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I've been chuckling to myself over the past (close to) 50 years as I hear the same ol' tired lament at the dissing of the "new music". Started with the old high school gang that couldn't see past Jethro Tull and Led Zeppelin, but probably occurred back at the beginning of music when Thog and Moo-ac first banged a couple of sticks rhythmically on stretched hide instead of a rock.

Music being produced now is as good as it ever has been but people tend to be firmly entrenched in the nostalgia of their teens and early years, and the music that played as a soundtrack to that time.

7 years ago...
6 years ago...
5 years ago...
4 years ago...
3 years ago...
2 years ago...
1 year ago...
4 mos. ago...

lots to ***** about these days, but the new music seems to be alive and well, thank you very much

Sorry, none of those songs appeal to me, most I have already heard, or heard of the band.

As I posted above these groups are in the alternative/hipster overall genre. If you like this music theres a lot of it out there. A local FM station focuses on this music, they play a huge mix.

https://cd1025.com/about/playlists/now-playing

To me, the new stuff ranges from meh, to annoying, to unlistenable. Maybe a few songs a year, I like. But the throwback music they play from 2000s 90s and 80s, is just much better.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:57 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Good that you have found recent music that you like Ghengis.

I sampled those 8 songs and none really jumped out for me. I might give one or two a second, fuller listen at another time.

I'll liked 2 of Igor's 11 suggestions, especially the Zero 7 track that I already knew.

Good that there are tens or hundreds of thousands of choices out there for everyone to pick from. Does take exploration though.

I thought about rock bands that I do like from the timeperiod of 1995-2010 on Monday. I am talking mainstream rock mostly. There is less known stuff I like that I sometimes post in other threads.

They include some from:

Alice in Chains
Bush
Rage Against the Machine
Godsmack
Zakk Wlyde's Black Label Society
Monster Magnet
Van Halen
Queens of the Stone Age
Rob Zombie
Evanessence
Ozzy Osbourne

If you like any of these bands, perhaps post what you think are their best songs / videos from the time period. It could be outside the time period if you really want.

Some people are likely to have little to no interest in these names. Ok. Just the way it is.

I like some other mainstream rock songs from this time, but not that many. These are some of the bigger ones I do like, fwiw.

I'll probably post some of my favorite songs / videos from these groups at a later time.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-17-2020 at 06:13 PM..

Old 06-19-2020, 12:35 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times

Old? New?

Old 06-19-2020, 03:50 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

I'm somewhat guilty to be stuck in the late 1960's/early 1970's regarding Tull and Zep. Saw them both in concert 3 times. But I wouldn't compare Tull to Zep musically somewhat.

I was lucky to have parents who might not have been interested in everything I collected back then, but there were several things that they enjoyed, certain songs. Here's a few---

Distant Shores-Chad and Jeremy
Lady Godiva-Peter and Gordon
Reasons For Waiting-Jethro Tull (from the LP Stand Up)
Love Remembered-Focus (from the lp Focus III)

One of here favorite songs from my collection is "Give A Damn" by Spanky and Our Gang. I remember taking my mom to a doctors appointment in my '56 Ford and popped in Spanky and Our Gang's 8 track "Without Rhyme Or Reason". I told her I have the 45 at home where she could hear the lyrics a tad closer.---"If you take the train with me, uptown to the misery of ghetto streets in morning light--" She played that song a couple times to digest all the lyrics, and later said "that's one of the best songs I have ever heard."

Take a couple minutes of your time and youtube that song. It came out around August of 1968. It carries a message!

The Dutch band Focus doesn't get much on the music forum but the idea of Tijs van Leer yodeling between some killer guitar riffs by guitarist Jan Akkerman was certainly different, even for prog fans. You get away from Focus III and their lp that came out six months earlier (Moving Waves) and even around that time both of these guys were cranking out some interesting solo lp's, my favorites from Akkerman would be "Tabernakkel" and from Van Leer "Introspection".
I love progressive-from Bo Hansson to Van der Graaf Generator to King Crimson to Barclay James Harvest to the Strawbs.--which reminds me---my dad drove a truck for a living for almost a half century, was a union man, paid his dues religiously. One night I played for him my 8 track of "Part Of The Union" by the Strawbs from their 1973 lp "Bursting At The Seams.' goes like this--"as a union man I'm wise, to the lies of the company spies, and I don't get fooled by the factory rules 'cause I always read between the lines."He loved it! He still liked old country tunes the best, I remember saying to him a few months before he passed--I've got a tune for YOU! And I played him Duane Eddy's version of "Paladin." (from the tv show Have Gun Will Travel." I remember him lighting up a huge smile, saying, man, the guy who's playing saxophone in the middle of that song, it makes the song right there!"

It depends on the genre. I find good in a lot of different types of music. As I'm pushing 70, I don't buy as much as I used to, but still get around to buying a combo of 35-40 cd's and lp's a year.

Ok, I'll shut up now. One more word-Listen to more music and lass talk radio, you'll live longer."

Old 06-19-2020, 03:52 PM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
Sorry, none of those songs appeal to me, most I have already heard, or heard of the band.

As I posted above these groups are in the alternative/hipster overall genre. If you like this music theres a lot of it out there. A local FM station focuses on this music, they play a huge mix.

https://cd1025.com/about/playlists/now-playing

To me, the new stuff ranges from meh, to annoying, to unlistenable. Maybe a few songs a year, I like. But the throwback music they play from 2000s 90s and 80s, is just much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjxX...JWSS3c&index=3

where do you classify Johnny Marr?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_P5iSG_APE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music