U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:51 AM

133 posts, read 505,439 times

Advertisements

I just bought an accordion off eBay on a whim. It should be arriving in about a week or so. Are there any accordion players here? If so, can you give me any tips or pointers to start me off? I've been looking all over my area for accordion lessons, and I can't find them (shocker, eh?), so I think I'll be teaching myself. Haha.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 01:19 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,256,423 times
Best of luck!! Probably the most frustrating, annoying, and difficult piece of kit the human race has been subjected to..I know a couple of concertina players that run away from the things like the plague was chasing them...

Old 04-28-2008, 02:00 PM

13,774 posts, read 23,097,543 times
The only accordion player I know of would be Weird Al Yankovic from Lynwood, CA. Maybe you can get some sheet music of his at the very least. He's great!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:23 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,413,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
Best of luck!! Probably the most frustrating, annoying, and difficult piece of kit the human race has been subjected to...
Not to mention you have to tap dance while playing "Lady Of Spain" at the same time

I'm sorry, I'm sorry - I couldn't resist

Seriously have fun and best wishes to your musical adventure

Old 04-29-2008, 04:51 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,019,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The only accordion player I know of would be Weird Al Yankovic from Lynwood, CA. Maybe you can get some sheet music of his at the very least. He's great!
That's true - he's very funny. They play a lot of his covers on the radio here.

I saw a band called A Hawk and a Hacksaw support Portishead a few weeks ago and they had a brilliant accordion player.

My mum had an ancient one when I was younger, but it was so heavy I could barely lift it, and the leather straps were deteriorating so they used to malt all over the carpet. I used to leave it on the floor and just squeeze/ stretch one end of it while randomly pressing keys and buttons. They're so complicated with all the little buttons!

Old 05-08-2008, 04:17 PM

61 posts, read 120,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by part_iv View Post
I just bought an accordion off eBay on a whim. It should be arriving in about a week or so. Are there any accordion players here? If so, can you give me any tips or pointers to start me off? I've been looking all over my area for accordion lessons, and I can't find them (shocker, eh?), so I think I'll be teaching myself. Haha.
Iplayed a Acorrdian .but couldnt read the music i could only play by ear ........it was in a orange band .in scotland

YouTube - How to Play the Accordion: Free Online Music Lessons for Beginners : Part 1: How to Play "Jambalaya" on the Accordion

Old 05-08-2008, 11:03 PM

38,704 posts, read 92,661,763 times
In almost every major city, there's no shortage of Celtic musicians. I would imagine this is even the case in Dallas. Try to make contact with one of those circles and hopefully someone can point you in the right direction for lessons or at least toward a fellow player who can give you some tips.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:11 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,749,666 times
I can't give any tips about getting lessons, but love to see Flaco Jimenez play the accordion (he was part of the Texas Tornadoes, and has also played in several Dwight Yoakam songs). There are a couple other musicians that can make the accordion sing, but they are rare, from what I've seen.

Here are a few clips that feature Flaco Jimenez on the squeezebox:

YouTube - The Mavericks - All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down (Video)

YouTube - Los Lobos (w/ Flaco Jimenez) 'Ay Te Dejo En San Antonio' '88

YouTube - texas tornados_who where you thinking of

YouTube - Texas Tornados - Dinero

YouTube - Dwight Yoakam & Buck Owens' Streets Of Bakersfield

Last edited by jdavid93225; 05-08-2008 at 11:28 PM..

Old 05-08-2008, 11:22 PM

38,704 posts, read 92,661,763 times
Hmm, I think I'm gonna start a new thread: "Most rockin' use of accordion in a rock/pop song"

Old 05-08-2008, 11:34 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,749,666 times
For a different flavor, Jo-el Sonnier is another amazing accordion player that I forgot about in my earlier post:

YouTube - Jo-el Sonnier- Tear Stained Letter

YouTube - Eddy Raven & Jo-El Sonnier- Fais Do-Do

YouTube - Jo-el Sonnier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music