Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 10:01 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbz View Post
Cream; better musicians and more original. Led Zeppelin had a great sound, but I think even the Yardbirds were more influential for recording a couple of good tracks.
Agree.

Another vote for Cream from me.

Cream was only a band for 2 years....june 1966 to November 1968
Led Zeppelin ...much longer ...august 1968 to September 1980....12 years

But Cream had a huge impact back in late 66-early 67....spear heading a blues boom in Britain...bands like...Fleet Mac...Savoy Brown...Jethro Tull…
all formed after Cream in 1967.

Power trios too...Blue Cheer in 1967....Budgie and Rush formed in 1968.

I read many books on Black Sabbath...and Geezer and Tony both cite Cream as being
a big influence in them.

And the "kids" growing up at that time ...Angus Young...Eddie Van Halen....Stevie Ray Vaughan
all were 13 years old in 1968 ...all big Cream fans.

Even Jimmy Page himself...he was in the Yardbirds (1966-1968)...and he witnessed Cream's
rise to superstardom ...he wanted that....which he would attain with Led Zeppelin.

Jimi Hendrix himself was a fan...he loved playing "Sunshine of Your Love", for example,
on Lulu's TV show in January 1969 ...The Jimi Hendrix Experience was playing "Hey Joe"...
in the middle of it Jimi stopped playing and said "enough of this rubbish" and started
playing "Sunshine of Your Love" instead!

Led Zeppelin...around much longer...many more albums ...lots of really good music..
both original and some "ripped off"...but I can't think of too many groups that were
directly influenced by Zeppelin.

Possibly, Deep Purple, they predate Led Zep but Ritchie Blackmore
saw Zep's quickly growing popularity and persuaded the group to start playing much
heavier music with new members Ian Gillan and Roger Glover (july 1969).

Or ...Rush, they were initially influenced by Cream but also Led Zeppelin...just listen to Rush's debut
album (1974) ...it sounds very Zeppelin-like.

Also....happy 77th birthday today... Mick Jagger !!!

And...RIP Peter Green..who died today at 73...founder of Fleetwood Mac.

Last edited by BMI; 07-26-2020 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 12:43 AM

110 posts, read 3,583 times
I'm going with Led Zeppelin, but both will live on!

Old 07-30-2020, 07:57 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Agree.

Another vote for Cream from me.

Cream was only a band for 2 years....june 1966 to November 1968
Led Zeppelin ...much longer ...august 1968 to September 1980....12 years
Longevity and rate of impact isn't the question, Zepp had 12 years to make a bigger impact and influence than Cream. That's like saying Randy Rhoads had a bigger influence than Clapton since he died at 25 and Clapton is still rocking.

Quote:
But Cream had a huge impact back in late 66-early 67....spear heading a blues boom in Britain...bands like...Fleet Mac...Savoy Brown...Jethro Tull…
all formed after Cream in 1967.
That blues boom was John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, who boasted, Clapton, Green, Fleetwood, Dunbar (Aynsley, check him out) Bruce, McVie.

Quote:
Power trios too...Blue Cheer in 1967....Budgie and Rush formed in 1968.
And...? Rush was progressive rock, more like Jethro Tull than Cream, is this just coincidence? Its slim evidence. Then what about Mötorhead, ZZ Top, Nirvana, ELP, Grand Funk Railroad, Jimi Hendrix Experience? All Cream inspired?

What about the darkest power trio, Venom? They were not inspired by Cream thats for sure.

Quote:
I read many books on Black Sabbath...and Geezer and Tony both cite Cream as being
a big influence in them.
And the both cite Zeppelin as a huge influence too, and... John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers.

Quote:
And the "kids" growing up at that time ...Angus Young...Eddie Van Halen....Stevie Ray Vaughan
all were 13 years old in 1968 ...all big Cream fans.
And big Zeppelin, Hendrix and Sabbath fans.

Quote:
Even Jimmy Page himself...he was in the Yardbirds (1966-1968)...and he witnessed Cream's
rise to superstardom ...he wanted that....which he would attain with Led Zeppelin.
He also saw it with Hendrix, and earlier the Beatles and Stones.

Quote:
Jimi Hendrix himself was a fan...he loved playing "Sunshine of Your Love", for example,
on Lulu's TV show in January 1969 ...The Jimi Hendrix Experience was playing "Hey Joe"...
in the middle of it Jimi stopped playing and said "enough of this rubbish" and started
playing "Sunshine of Your Love" instead!
Did he love it because he inspired it? Sunshine bass intro was written by Bruce after he saw Hendrix for the first time. It was played by the JHX one the same day Cream announced their split. There's no evidence that he did love it other than that once incident.

Quote:
Led Zeppelin...around much longer...many more albums ...lots of really good music..
both original and some "ripped off"...but I can't think of too many groups that were
directly influenced by Zeppelin.
You're kidding right? Kiss, Van Halen, Dio, Motorhead, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest Whitesnake and the entire NWOBHM, Accept, Scorpions, and UFO, which then led to Mötley Crüe, and 80s Hair Metal, do you think its an accident 80s hair metal was either small venue on Sunset, or 50,000 seat stadiums?

Quote:
Possibly, Deep Purple, they predate Led Zep but Ritchie Blackmore
saw Zep's quickly growing popularity and persuaded the group to start playing much
heavier music with new members Ian Gillan and Roger Glover (july 1969).

Or ...Rush, they were initially influenced by Cream but also Led Zeppelin...just listen to Rush's debut
album (1974) ...it sounds very Zeppelin-like.
Or the Deep Purple/Led Zeppelin was just two bands at the same time in the same environment doing similar things. Lord, Blackmore and Paice wanted to change into a heavier direction after an incredibly lackluster showing in their US Tour and album sales, I've got original source on that from Ian Paice (his daughter was a friend of my girlfriend of the time, and we spent a weekend with him and his daughter, nice guy), Paice also convinced the band to take Glover as bassist.

Ultimately I think the issue is a lot of Creams influence isn't Cream, but John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers, they came from there, so that influence can't be discounted. Which both diminishes the Bluesbreakers influence and raises questions about Creams.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:25 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,764,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
And...? Rush was progressive rock, more like Jethro Tull than Cream
There has been much writing about Rush being influenced by Cream AND Zep. even if they did not sound similar.

Quote:

Did he love it because he inspired it? Sunshine bass intro was written by Bruce after he saw Hendrix for the first time. It was played by the JHX one the same day Cream announced their split. There's no evidence that he did love it other than that once incident.
In a 1967 New Musical Express Pop Think-In interview, Hendrix claimed he liked Clapton the most when he first saw Cream perform and considered his guitar playing as quite similar in style and technique. The two at least respected each other.

Quote:

Ultimately I think the issue is a lot of Creams influence isn't Cream, but John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers, they came from there, so that influence can't be discounted. Which both diminishes the Bluesbreakers influence and raises questions about Creams.
Cream had the bigger hits and bigger persona than Bluesbreakers. For sure in a 1990's Cream documentary, Alex Van Halen credited Ginger Baker for influencing his drumming. In another documentary, Deep Purple keyboardist Jon Lord credited Cream with having an often overlooked nascent influence on hard rock and what would later become known as heavy metal. So this power trio did have influence on others, just not sure if they had as much influence as Led Zeppelin. Yeah, I know, I have met people who claim that Cream is overrated, Clapton is overrated as a guitarist, etc. but I heard equally as much that Zep. were complete ripoffs of others yada yada, all of which I do not agree with.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:56 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,525,695 times
Your question needs clarification. You stated “was more influential”, and I understand it as, when they first came out, who was more influential. Because if we talk about who has been more influential to this day, it is Led Zeppelin by far, not even close. However it was Cream (or one can argue, John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton, but Cream was more popular) that led the foundation for the heavy blues oriented rock that bands like Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Sabbath, and even The Who at the time of Tommy, based their sound on.

But Zeppelin took what what Cream did, added folk into their music, and mythology into their lyrics, and made the sound more accessible.

So if we compare 1966 which is the year Cream released its first record against 1969 when Zeppelin release theirs, one can argue that Cream was more influential as they were the first; Zeppelin wouldn’t have existed without Cream.

But in the big scheme of things, Zeppelin is without a doubt the most influential of the 2.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:17 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,676,348 times
Music snobs will say Cream. Luckily, I'm just common folk, so Zeppelin.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:15 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,525,695 times
Led Zeppelin. But Cream was better.

Old 10-30-2020, 02:08 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times
I was a Cream fan, but the Animals were my favorite (Eric Burdon).

Old 10-30-2020, 12:36 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,389,844 times
Zep all the way.

To me, their songs had greater variety.

Cream is great too, but... They were like Eric Claptons backup band. While Zep was a real band, the sum of their parts.

Alex Lifeson cites both Jimmy page and Clapton. He even painted what was it a palm tree? on his guitar when a teen.
Geddy Lee also cites Zeplin. However he refers more to Jack Casady of Jef. Airplane and Jack Bruce of Cream as bass influences. As well as Chris Squier.

Old 10-30-2020, 07:48 PM

2,354 posts, read 1,150,157 times
I'd say Led Zeppelin was more re-influential:
https://www.rollingstone.com/feature...p-offs-223419/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music