Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2022, 11:32 AM

7,258 posts, read 3,785,370 times

Advertisements

Apparently, she was their first choice for a replacement when DLR left the band.

Personally, I think they would have been awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 04:12 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,136,068 times
She probably would have lasted a week. She's a teetotaler, doesn't drink, and the members of Van Halen, well...

Van Halen's musical direction was already changing with 1984, so songs like "Right Now" and "Dreams" would be perfect for her voice. I thought of what VH would have been like in concert with Patty Smyth, and a Eddie Van Halen guitar version of "The Warrior" would have been something to see. However, I cannot begin to fathom what "Ice Cream Man", "Oh Pretty Woman", "Beautiful Girls" and especially "Hot For Teacher" would sound like. (Well, I can, there are a number of all-female VH tribute bands out there on YouTube, but they're not fronted by Patty Smyth. In fact, a couple aren't fronted by what most would call a singer.)

Old 08-16-2022, 04:30 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,349 times
She can sing "Goodbye to You"

but people would still say David Lee Roth swinging from the rafters in red hot pants singing "Panama" + "Running with The Devil" was still a better show.

Old 08-16-2022, 04:43 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,349 times
Having said that, Patty Smyth singing "There Are No Mistakes In Love" (1)
I just feel is one of those timeless songs, with Patty's vocals alternating between sweet and regretful, then trilling and cracking at the perfect moments. But when I consider the memorable body of "Jump" + "I Cant Drive 55" + "Dance the Night Away" + "Why Cant This Be Love"... I cant see Patty bringing the same energy.

(1) footnote: ohh there's Plenty of mistakes in love

Old 08-16-2022, 04:56 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Well, we would have missed out on Van Hagar, which.. I think was still very good. I don't think she could have done as well as Sammy did

Now.. Had they replaced Sammy with her.. Well.. I don't think you could have done worse than Gary Cherone.. And that's not a knock on Cherone.. It just didn't work. Part of that reason, I have heard, is that Cherone just basically considered himself the lead singer. He wasn't very involved in the writing or the music. I do think Smyth would most likely have been.

Old 08-16-2022, 05:45 PM

7,258 posts, read 3,785,370 times
I don't know about Smyth, but Hagar is a great songwriter, singer and guitarist in his own right. It's too bad he didn't get the chance to really shine on guitar, because he is quite good.

Actually, Smyth has some songwriting credits on Scandal's Warrior album, but not the big hits.

So, I think she would bring vocal creds, but maybe not a lot more. Hagar brings the entire package.

It makes me wonder why Smyth was their first choice. Maybe they wanted a more 80s sound or to appeal to a larger audience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music