Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2022, 06:58 PM

18,259 posts, read 25,949,010 times

Advertisements

And I mean forgotten. Nearly all FM oldies stations have cut way back on 60's with the exception of the Beatles and the noted British Invasion groups. And Gene Pitney started in '61, ended in '69--but the years in between he rolled out some impressive songs in that decade, to name a few--"Only Love Can break A Heart," "Town Without Pity", 'Mecca", "It hurts To be In Love" and many others. One thing that pushed his career a good ways was Burt Bacharach and Hal David"s songs Gene did several of them. Probably my favorite one there would "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance."

Music wise Pitney had talent other than just singing. He wrote some classic tunes for other people, two that come to mind is Rick Nelson's 'Hello Mary Lou" and the Crystal's "He's A Rebel." on several of his hits he played all the instruments and overdubbed his voice several times. Even Mick Jagger and Keith Richard wrote a song for him--"That Girl Belongs To Yesterday." He was under contract for a label that was nowhere near the name of the big labels such as Atco Atlantic, Capitol, Epic, Colombia, and the other big labels. He recorded under Musicor and I can count the artists on one hand who were under contract with them-the Platters and George Jones.

Despite the British Invasion groups basically rewriting history around January 1964 regarding the future of Rock and Roll, Pitney soldiered on. In fact, Pitney did a number of 1970's tours in the UK. He was very popular in Europe.

I hope there are some Pitney fans out there, would love to hear from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 07:06 PM

3,094 posts, read 2,438,298 times
I like Gene Pitney. The Beatles have been played to death and it's time to put them on the shelf for a good long while.

Old 08-21-2022, 07:25 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,807,165 times
"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" is one of my all-time favorites. In fact, I liked every song that I ever heard of his. Thanks for reminding me. Now I'll have an earworm for a day or two but it's worth it!

Old 08-21-2022, 08:21 PM

3,013 posts, read 1,588,490 times
He also had this song in 1968 that didn't sound like his other ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AULvmliobq4

Old 08-23-2022, 06:52 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,328,029 times
I actually have an album of his!

I have all of my mothers record collection and Gene Pitney's "Only Love Can Break a Heart" album is in there. It has a picture of him in a love heart on the cover. I remember her playing it when I was a kid, she must have had it from her teenage years. It's not one that I pull out and play for myself though. Maybe I will one day just to see if I like any of the songs as an adult.

Another reason I remember this so well (that is not related to music) is because, as a child, I was fascinated by his face on the cover and it was the first face I actually did a drawing of when I was around 8 or 9 years old. The first face I did an oil painting of was Simon Le Bon when I was 14. I guess I had a thing for singers growing up . Well I never really stopped having that fascination, I have a big portrait that I painted of David Bowie on my Living Room wall. I paint portraits now as a sideline/hobby.

Thanks for reminding me of that memory. It's something that I had forgotten until I saw his name.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:16 PM

84 posts, read 54,421 times
Marc Almond and Gene Pitney released a 1989 version of "Something's Gotten Hold of My Heart". That was a big hit (at least in the United Kingdom). We could therefore say that at least one of his songs has managed to survive the test of time. In fact, after I finish this comment, I will go and listen to it.

Old 09-05-2022, 03:33 PM

14,526 posts, read 20,779,741 times
I'm a big fan of Gene's. The stations around here do still play the 60's and Pitney is heard often.

I am not sure if any singer could have finished this song the way Gene did.
Even he could not finish it in later years and had to cut the four tones in one breath of air down to two breaths. His final live performance of this song was recorded on VHS tape and his manager sent me a copy. Never forget the generous deed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrcsA3UdZD4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0La9fPYWi2Y

Old 09-10-2022, 01:26 AM

122 posts, read 26,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple674 View Post
Marc Almond and Gene Pitney released a 1989 version of "Something's Gotten Hold of My Heart". That was a big hit (at least in the United Kingdom). We could therefore say that at least one of his songs has managed to survive the test of time. In fact, after I finish this comment, I will go and listen to it.
It's one of my favourite songs.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music