Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2022, 05:38 PM

602 posts, read 318,106 times

Advertisements

This is a really cool video from a long time ago...Neil finds bootleg albums of his music and confronts the young clerk on duty...and this young clerk was cool himself....and Neil ends up on the phone with either the store owner or store manager...

A couple of readers comments :

"This could possibly be December 1971 or Early ‘72 based on the December 9th issue of Rolling Stone magazine with Pete Townshend on the cover at 10:28. The location of this record store was located at 6734 W Sunset Blvd in Los Angeles, CA. The original building has been demolished since then. One clue that gave it away was the “Sunset Center Parking” on the sign in the record shop."

"This video made me feel like I was actually standing in that record store in 1972 watching everything take place. What a great piece of historical footage."

"One of the the best rock history moments captured on film, absolutely incredible, and almost 15 mins to boot. Green eyed lady playing, looking at the "new" Dylan record, seeing how popular 8-tracks were getting, how calm and chill everyone was even when someone was trying to "steal" a record, or seeing how artists used to fight back against pirates, to the god damn Craig display in the background, truly amazing piece of footage."

"Kudos to the shop assistant for handling a difficult situation with professionalism, respect , manors and decency"

The vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-3rFhXVrvI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 05:55 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,952,704 times
Mr. Big Pharma.

Old 12-29-2022, 07:07 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,098,968 times
I think it was late 1971 ...because of stack of Rolling Stone magazines with the december 9th 1971 Pete Townshend cover ...and the clerk shows Neil "Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits 2" and says it's new....
that album was released on november 17th 1971....Neil Young looks like he does on his "Harvest" album back cover...unkept long hair and beard look...that album was released a couple of months after this was shot, in february 1972...it was his biggest album with his huge hit "Heart of Gold" and my fave "Old Man"...
(James Taylor played banjo on it)...I love playing that song on guitar, it has a cool D shape chord played in E with open high E string.

It is definitely a fascinating video or should I say film...I think shot on 16 mm ...looks too good for Super 8) not sure ...but might have been "preplanned" ....Sugarloaf's "Green Eyed Lady" (long version) playing in the background...then the clerk switches it to The Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour" album...and if you listen closely, "Strawberry Fields Forever" suddenly becomes "I am the Walrus" ending section...weird..

Last edited by GTB365; 12-29-2022 at 08:19 AM..

Old 12-29-2022, 02:47 PM

7,493 posts, read 4,742,283 times
How is the guy with video just went behind the counter as well like it's normal. Neil probably set this up with a buddy of his to record just in case it goes out of control as he plans to take it.

Old 12-29-2022, 04:05 PM

602 posts, read 318,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
Neil Young looks like he does on his "Harvest" album back cover...unkept long hair and beard look...that album was released a couple of months after this was shot, in february 1972...it was his biggest album with his huge hit "Heart of Gold" and my fave "Old Man"...
(James Taylor played banjo on it)...I love playing that song on guitar, it has a cool D shape chord played in E with open high E string.
Yes !...Neil's 4th album, which was Harvest, became a #1 album in both the US and the UK...and it went on to become the best selling album in 1972 in the states...

For you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuVIJlSDOs0

Old 12-30-2022, 09:00 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,098,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B Kind View Post
Yes !...Neil's 4th album, which was Harvest, became a #1 album in both the US and the UK...and it went on to become the best selling album in 1972 in the states...

For you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuVIJlSDOs0
Great video from Live at BBC Radio Theatre, february 23rd 1971...
notice that Neil is clean shaven back in early 1971, hair slightly shorter too...
8 songs were performed before BBC TV cameras that day....

Four of them that would be released a year later on Harvest...

Heart of Gold
Old Man
Out for the Weekend
A Man Needs a Maid

And another four songs...

Journey Through the Past
Don't Let it Bring You Down
Love In Mind
Dance Dance Dance

Recently a Harvest 50th Anniversary Box Set was released
Which includes the Neil Young in concert BBC TV special from 1971
And songs recorded during the Harvest sessions but left off the album.
Very tempted to buy it ....but I think I'll buy his 1973 live album, "Time Fades Away",
first...it was long out of print for decades (rumor has it Neil didn't like his vocals),
sure his vocals and playing are a bit rough (he and the band were drinking heavily)
but the songs are magic ...including some of my faves "The Bridge" ..."Love In Mind" and "Don't Be Denied", with lyrics like a mini biography of his life.

A bit of trivia, Neil Young bought a ranch in northern California in 1970 (and still has), it came with a caretaker living on the property...an old man (I think he was 74 back then,
time flies, now Neil is an "old man", he turned 77 on november 12th this year).
Back in 1970 when he wrote the song he was only 24 ...that's why the line...
"24 and there's so much more"....by the time it was released he was already 26,
time sure does fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music