Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 10:06 AM

508 posts, read 203,827 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to make a list, though Phil Keaggy and Jeff Beck would surely be on it, but I will post a clip.

Michael Hedges revolutionized acoustic guitar playing like no other. Make sure your shoelaces are tied before you watch his performance here of "Aerial Boundaries."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaIN13aDbCc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 10:23 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,166,545 times
A lot of these debates revolve around who did it first vs who did it best. For instance, Jimi did a lot of things first, but for this millenial, I just simply don't care for his music - the recordings aren't good, there's not that many songs, and he's not that polished. What he is is the most overrated guitarist of all time. Likewise Jimmy Page had great guitar work, but all the covers of Lead Zepplin material are much better than the original stuff. Who thinks who is better depends on if you grew up listening to them or if you grew up when people did covers of their stuff, if you don't have nostalgia with the originals they don't sound that good.

Anyone who's a top guitarist HAS to have produced a lot of music, hence why Hendrix is out of the list, he didn't really do that much. In constrast the Greatful Dead released a huge amount of music - so Jerry Garcia was able influence SO many people across all genre's because of the scope of what they did.

Joe Bonamassa has to be on any list of best guitarists. His tone, complexity, and breadth of material is unmatched - he became one of the top touring artists entirely focused on the love of the guitar, not just rock energy.

I'd put Warren Haynes on the list of best / most influential guitarists for taking the blues, southern rock, bluegrass, and other genres and merging them together and really breaking ground on the slide guitar.

Old 02-06-2023, 10:29 AM

11,660 posts, read 12,746,911 times
Pepe Romero
Andres Segovia

Old 02-06-2023, 10:44 AM

27,330 posts, read 13,579,172 times
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Eric Clapton
Dave Gilmore
Brian May

Honourable mentions to Jeff Beck, Angus Young, Richie Blackmore, Gary Moore. and Peter Green.

Old 02-06-2023, 12:18 PM

42,000 posts, read 75,358,725 times
I have much different tastes:

Justin Hayward - Moody Blues - criminally underrated for his guitar playing
Rob Buck (RIP) - 10,000 Maniacs - he was so inventive and unique
Johnny Marr - the Smiths - even though I don't like the Smiths LOL
Peter Buck - R.E.M. - just because, and because R.E.M. wouldn't be R.E.M. without him and that would be sad
George Harrison - the Beatles - also just because

Old 02-06-2023, 12:54 PM

8,743 posts, read 3,919,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Who are your top five?
First to mind (and not in any particular order): Clapton, Beck, Hendrix, Satriani and Eddie Van Halen. Relative to influence re: the guitar industry as well, Steve Vai should probably be mentioned re: the Ibanez JEM.

Old 02-06-2023, 01:01 PM

27,676 posts, read 28,776,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
It is a tough question....lots of great guitar players ...very subjective....

And yes, Alex Lifeson....I forgot about him....very under rated ....with Rush ...most focus on
Neil Peart as being one of the best drummers ever...and then Geddy Lee as a top bassist....
Alex Lifeson ...most people forget about him (like I did)...he's a really good guitar player...
he's in my top ten for sure.
I wonder - 100 years from now, who will be considered the Mozart of the rock guitar era? Will it be Hendrix? Will there be such a thing?

It would be fascinating to know. Unfortunately, we will all be gone by then.

Old 02-06-2023, 01:14 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,685,376 times
Jerry Garcia
Jorma Kaukonen
Richard Thompson
Jimi Hendrix
Bob Weir

Old 02-06-2023, 01:49 PM

4,571 posts, read 5,446,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I am not an expert, but have listened to a lot of music over the years and with the number of great players, it is almost impossible to narrow it down. However....
Joe Satriani belongs on any top 5 list.
I agree Satriani should be up there. Cant believe I forgot him. He is the dude who actually taught a lot of stuff to Steve Vai and Kirk Hammett. I put him among my honorable mention list.

Old 02-06-2023, 01:51 PM

11,660 posts, read 12,746,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I have much different tastes:

Justin Hayward - Moody Blues - criminally underrated for his guitar playing
Rob Buck (RIP) - 10,000 Maniacs - he was so inventive and unique
Johnny Marr - the Smiths - even though I don't like the Smiths LOL
Peter Buck - R.E.M. - just because, and because R.E.M. wouldn't be R.E.M. without him and that would be sad
George Harrison - the Beatles - also just because
I like your list very much. Justin Hayward is a very underrated guitarist and songwriter. I also admired George Harrison's use of the slide guitar.

In the pop world, I'd add James Burton

I'd also add Fernando Carulli for being the most influential, as well as John Williams (the guitarist, not the movie composer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music