Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 08:45 PM

537 posts, read 445,568 times

Advertisements

There are just so many different kinds of music and so many guitar players that are stuck in one type of music. You've got shredders that can just wear out any song, and you've got Chet Atkins type guitarists that play 3-4 different instruments on their guitar at one time. Jeff Beck can play any type of music of any genre.

Many names have been mentioned over and over. But nothing has been said about guitar players that were behind the scenes--music session musicians.

I was raised in the Music City, and there's never been any shortage of absolutely incredible guitarists there. The top Nashville guitar players off the top of my head were :
Grady Martin--Willie Nelson's lead guitar for his last 25 years.
Glenn Campbell
Duane Allman
Harold Bradley
Tommy Emmanuel
Jerry Reed
Hank Garland

Hank Garland was probably the most understated guitar players of all time. He almost died in a car wreck and never played guitar again. But in the late 1950s, he was the finest closet jazz guitar player of all times. He played on an incredible number of country records in the day to pay the bills. But jazz was his favorite.

If you ask all the Nashville musicians who is the best musician they've ever heard, and you will get one answer--Mark O'Connor. There's no musician that can touch him on the fiddle--but he's even better on the flat top guitar. Mark won the National Guitar Championship at age 14, and he's truly a virtuoso.

You simply wouldn't believe the list of names of musicians (all instruments) and movie stars that live in Nashville. I'm talking Justin Timberlake, Nicolle Kidman, Jim Horn, Michael McDonald, Steven Tyler, Kid Rock and many, many more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 09:01 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Junior Kimbrough
Eric Clapton

And that’s all I know lol. I don’t follow music as well as I should.

Old 02-11-2023, 10:10 PM

32,938 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Alex Lifeson
Wolf Hoffman
Roy Clark
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Vito Bratta
Oh, man, Roy Clark. My Welsh dad, born in 1919, lived his entire life in PA loved him. Good music knows no boundaries.

Old 02-12-2023, 10:45 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
Mark won the National Guitar Championship at age 14, and he's truly a virtuoso.
National Guitar Championship? Ive never heard of such a thing. I live in LA which is the epicenter of where those who want to rock live (want to live). Been around musicians my entire life, even have friends who teach at Musicians Institute (GIT) and have never heard of a national guitar championship. Maybe its just a country music thing. I am no fan at all of country music, even though Roy Clark is on my Top Ten Guitarist list and also that Aussie guy who is country singer (also a judge on American Idol) is a great guitar player. But, Im thinking this guitar championship thing is probably a country music thing.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:38 AM

554 posts, read 347,000 times
So many great ones

Les Paul

John Paul "Bucky" Pizzarelli

Antônio Carlos Jobim

B.B. King

Terry Kath - Chicago

Prince

Eddie Van Halen

Chrissie Hynde - The Pretenders

Peter Frampton

Mick Jones - Foreigner

Joe Perry - Aerosmith

Jimmy Page

Jeff Beck

Eric Clapton

So many more great ones !

Old 02-12-2023, 11:40 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Well, I consider the bass guitar part of the guitar family
But the bass guitar is not a guitar; it's a bass guitar.

When someone speaks about guitars, they are clearly talking not about bass guitars (or banjoes, or ukeleles, or sitars, etc.) but about guitars. Were they speaking of any of those other similar instruments, they would specify.

It's like someone talking about getting a cat - everyone knows perfectly well they're not thinking of getting a tiger or an ocelot or a lynx, despite the fact that those are all in the cat family.

Old 02-12-2023, 12:06 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Who are your top five?

Jimi Hendrix
Terry Kath
Ernie Isley
Steve Hackett
Steve Howe

Old 02-12-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
But the bass guitar is not a guitar; it's a bass guitar.

It is truly sad you have to point that out. I'm thrilled that you did not have to waste your time explaining that lutes and sitars and ukes aren't guitars, either.

Old 02-12-2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Oh, man, Roy Clark.
If the question was "Best String Player" then, yes, Roy Clark would have been #1 on my list.

On an episode of the Hee-Haw show he did a performance using a 6- and 12-string acoustic, 6-string electric, banjo, mandolin, ukulele, lute, and the violin. It was incredible, and he's a good performer anyway. He was truly gifted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
Many names have been mentioned over and over. But nothing has been said about guitar players that were behind the scenes--music session musicians.
Then Steve Cropper should be on everyone's list. So should Teenie Hodges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Al DiMeola
Eddie Van Halen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
And Gary Moore wasn't the same way????
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
1) Alex Lifeson
2) Carlos Santana
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Jeff Beck -- may he RIP.
I saw Gary Moore in concert at the Dortmund Westfallen Halle. He was awesome as you might expect.

I have tremendous respect for Al DiMeola, but he is limited to primarily classical/flamenco styles.

Many wrongfully attribute the finger-tapping technique to Eddie Van Halen.

You can hear Steve Hackett doing it on the Trespass album while Eddie was still a freshman in high school and also on Nursery Crimes, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering.

I like Alex Liefson, Jeff Beck, and Carlos Santana, too, but part of my criteria is being an innovator.

Steve Cropper and Luther Perkins were good guitar players, too, but using the 1st and 2nd inversions to get the most out of your chops is just common sense, not innovation.

Old 02-12-2023, 05:38 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
...I have tremendous respect for Al DiMeola, but he is limited to primarily classical/flamenco styles...

Fusion as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music