Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2023, 08:27 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys.

After the Super Bowl I was quick to learn that in 2004 Janet Jackson was blacklisted from MTV and VH1 while being disinvited from the Grammys. Her career tanked after that.. for something that was obviously an accident on her part.

However, when I compare he to other artists like Rihanna, Mariah Carey, George Michael and Whitney Houston with similar statistics to her... her music is not played on the radio, nor is she really remembered for her contribution to music. I didn't even know about her songs until yesterday and that she had #1 hits.

I listened to the radio this week (80s-90s), and heard countless Mariah Carey, George Michael, Diana Ross, MJ, etc songs. Not a single Janet Jackson song.

So, is she still blacklisted for an accident 19 years ago??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2023, 04:01 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
She was blacklisted. I dunno if it stayed in effect all this time. She also shifted focus to movies for awhile. Her music and ticket sales were still pretty strong til around 2015. When she turned 49. Not totally unexpected for a female artist using sex appeal. And pushing various policy positions might have helped and hurt, with some people going elsewhere for musical good times. Hiding several marriages and defending her brother may have had some affect. She had a son in 2017 and said she turned to motherhood. But going out on tour this year and getting bios on TV. You can find her stuff if you want it.

Old 07-04-2023, 04:12 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
They play her music all of the time on Sirius Radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music