Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:33 PM

195 posts, read 525,209 times

Advertisements

Hi to all.

Kindly share your lists of DVD concerts of rock bands that you wish to recommend to the thread viewers.

May I request though to state the following minimum info :

1) name of the band
2) title of the DVD concert
3) infield or outfield concert
4) continuous concert or interspersed with fillers
5) description (no format here, it could be as simple as "It rocks" or a detailed 5-page article. of course the longer, the more informative to everyone).

I wish to also remind the everyone of the general rule of respect on each other's opinion. Music is quite personal and is a matter of individual taste and preference. What works for one may not for the other. The same goes for opinion on what makes a good or bad DVD concert.

Thanks guys and hope to see and read your recos. The more the merrier!

Last edited by Nashter; 11-10-2008 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 05:41 PM

To begin with:

Band : Hootie and the Blowfish
Title : Live In Charleston, The Homegrown Concert Event
Type : Outfield / Continuous

Hootie and the Blowfish held the concert in Charleston, South Carolina, US on August 12 2005. They play in their home base so lots of love. Excellent show. Touch of country and alternative meshed in one perfection. Downside only is they should have staged it in a bigger stadium, not in a tennis court. Note : someone hung on her bra in the mike of one of the guitarist. Killer track of the concert : "State Your Peace", the band's opener hooks you and dictates the overall tempo of the show.

I would recommend this.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:47 PM

Band : Queen
Title : Live in Wembley Stadium

Queen in London held the concert in Borough of Brent, London, UK on July 12 1986. Massive audience, great set. Excellent show, from the kick in the a$$ opener One Vision to their anthemic finale We Are the Champions. Trivia : Probably the best concert in original Wembley Stadium before the facade towers got torn down and redesigned. Trivia 2 : This is their second to the last concert. Killer track of the concert : "Hammer to Fall", guitarist Brian May displayed his string virtuosity here that had Freddie Mercury grabbing some rails and into fits of self-expressions.

I would recommend this.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:49 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Journey
Greatest hits DVD 1978 - 1997

A compilation of 18 songs live from different concert halls across the country.

I pick this DVD because 2 songs (Open Arms & Dont Stop Believin) on this disc is from the Houston Astrodome with sell out crowds which show many shots of the audience. This was the 1981 tour.

If you look real close, right up front, my now wife, who then was 21 with the long red hair is jumping up and down with hands reaching for Steve Perry's hairy chest. That is what girls did when they were 20 years old at a Journey concert.

We play this DVD often. Man there was nothing like the electricity of a Journey concert back then.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:53 PM

Band : Goo Goo Dolls
Title : Live In Buffalo

Goo Goo Dolls in Buffallo held the concert in Buffalo, New York, US on July 4, 2004. The perferct independence day concert ! Excellent show and one of its kind, check the trivia. Mid size audience as it is held in a NY park. Trivia : Midway to the show, into the middle of the song "January Friend" sung by my personal preferred vocalist Robbie Takac, HEAVY downpour of rain and wind descended, adding to the grandeur of this concert. So you have 2 seasons captured in one concert : the first half, which is the non-rainy season, and the second half, which is the typhoon rainy season. The audience would not disperse amid the rain, and the band gave it to them (unlike other bands who cancels shows and sends the already wet audience home). Killer Track : "January Friend", of course, from one season to the next captured in one song.

I would recommend this.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:54 PM

Hi desertsun41, thanks and hope you would post more!

Old 11-10-2008, 06:00 PM

Band : U2
Title : U2 Go Home

U2 held this concert in Slane Village, Meath, Ireland on September 1, 2001. This is the best concert effort from this band. Great set - think of your favorite U2 song minus 'I still haven't found what Im looking for', and chances are that they are here, massive audience. Trivia : Bono's father just died and he poured out his emotions in a song called "Kite" making it a hair-raising experience indeedio. A song difficult to get tired viewing. Trivia 2 : Slane Castle, the backdrop of the concert, is where the band recorded the song "Pride (In The Name of Love)". Killer Track : "Kite" of course. Second would be "Where the Streets Have No Name". I love it when Bono starts running around the curve of the stage as he hits the first lyrics "I want to run . . ."

I would recommend this.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:04 PM

Hi desertsun41, it's just now that I completed reading your post as I was typing also the last time and just glanced at it and made my immediate response.

Pretty funny ! Haha!

So was she able to get some hair? Might as well place that in a sealed container. May be valuable later on in auctions! Haha!

Old 11-10-2008, 06:09 PM

Band : AC/DC
Title : Stiff Upper Lip

AC/DC held the concert in Olympiapark, Munich, Germany on June 14 2001. The demigod of hard rock and roll. This got it all : massive attendance (as always), great setlist (all their songs are great so this is always a given to AC/DC but what gives this a slight edge from the No Bull concert in Spain is that this includes the Stiff Upper Lip and Up To My Neck In You songs). Trivia : Evertyhing is great here! Killer Track : "Highway To Hell", it's hard not to pick this song because it is a song tailored for massive concerts. Many bands include their rendition of Highway to Hell just so to pump up the crowd. So, when the source of the song are the ones to play it, it's got to be the killer track.

I would recommend this.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:56 PM

Band : Iron Maiden
Title : Rock in Rio

Iron Maiden held the concert in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - a hotbed for massive concerts - in 2001. Alas, this would have been the perfect concert if not for the quick changing of frames. It's around 1-2 seconds per frame for the entirety of the show. I would say 3 seconds to 5 seconds per frame would be ideal. The continuous quick changing of the frames just ruined the disc for me.

I would NOT recommend this.

Last edited by Nashter; 11-10-2008 at 07:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music