Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Band has more talent?
Nickelback 20 17.86%
The freecreditreport.com band 92 82.14%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:39 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,141,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
I don't think they sound generic at all......if we want to talk about generic we could bring up all of the beats rappers bite off of other rappers and even rock bands....now that's generic.
BTW, I agree with you on your perspective on rappers...most rappers, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 12:44 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
If you like Nickelback, then that's great. We all need bands that speak to us in some way. But I'm speaking from my perspective when I talk about why I despise them.
I don't really despise them...I think there are more worthy acts to despise
But I agree,to me they just seem unoriginal.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:52 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I can't decide which band is worse, Nickelback or Hinder
Good point, although considering that they are joined at the hip as far as management goes...

I really liked Nickelback's first couple of albums. They wrote music from their hearts, not with some formula to make hit singles. But now, Gawd I am SO over them. I've never liked Hinder, they are just a bad Aerosmith wanna-be.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:01 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,239,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Rush

"Well hey now baby,
I said I like your style,
And you really got me baby,
Way down deep inside"

From "In the mood". Music and lyrics by Geddy Lee.

OK, they had no more "chick" songs once Neil came on board.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:28 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Ok every time I come back to this thread I've got that song in my head..'This is how You remind me'...

Old 12-03-2008, 07:47 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
even though I voted for the freecreditreport.com band (I love those commercials!), I actually do like Nickleback's "Photographs" and "Saving Me". please don't hurt me!

I bought the last CD (the one w/ the above songs) at a yard sale for $1. listened to it for a while, got bored w/ it and sold it at FYE where i got $10 for it! i asked the clerk how come I got so much for that CD when I sold several, more recnt CDs and was told that Nickleback CD was still very popular and sold well. so somehow, somewhere, people like them.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:14 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Amen!

Iron Maiden is another band. The things I like about Maiden and Rush is that they base their lyrics on themes like fantasy, mythology, history, and more cerebral topics like that.

Granted, I like some bands who write songs about failed romances/lost loves, but I DON'T like bands that use these themes as the basis for the majority of their songs. I like bands that mix things up a bit. A good example of a mainstream band like this is Pearl Jam. Sure, they're not as groundbreaking anymore as far as sound goes, but most of their songs are about various social issues (i.e. gun control, suicide, self-doubt). They have a few relationship-oriented songs, but they're not raunchy just for the sake of being raunchy. They don't care about writing controversial songs about getting laid to please the masses. They're in the business to make music that appeals to them.

Bands like Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman, Saving Abel, Hinder, and their radio clones all sound alike to me. It sounds like they make songs to try to sound controversial or edgy, but in actuality they're writing music for the sake of making a big buck, not for the sake of creativity or originality.

Once again, that's my opinion. If you like Nickelback, then that's great. We all need bands that speak to us in some way. But I'm speaking from my perspective when I talk about why I despise them.
I hear ya...but I still don't get how they're "raunchy". I guess, for me at least, I really don't discriminate against any music....I appreciate it for what it is.....art and in some way it's all good

I totally get the whole "repetitive" vibe some bands put out but it is what it is.....I'd totally limit myself if I stopped listening to bands because they sounded like other bands......it happens.......a lot and across genres.

It's becoming harder and harder today to find quality artists who don't pump out these rushed and thoughtless albums so if you find something you like.....bump that stuff proudly!

I've never ever been one to shy away from openly being a fan of any music I like....I love Britney spears too hahahaha I totally rock her songs in my car.....proudly......I also LOOOVEEEEE hatebreed and seether and Bruce Springsteen and the eagles and toby keith.....whatever works for me is what I listen to......

Old 12-03-2008, 08:35 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,141,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
I hear ya...but I still don't get how they're "raunchy". I guess, for me at least, I really don't discriminate against any music....I appreciate it for what it is.....art and in some way it's all good

I totally get the whole "repetitive" vibe some bands put out but it is what it is.....I'd totally limit myself if I stopped listening to bands because they sounded like other bands......it happens.......a lot and across genres.

It's becoming harder and harder today to find quality artists who don't pump out these rushed and thoughtless albums so if you find something you like.....bump that stuff proudly!

I've never ever been one to shy away from openly being a fan of any music I like....I love Britney spears too hahahaha I totally rock her songs in my car.....proudly......I also LOOOVEEEEE hatebreed and seether and Bruce Springsteen and the eagles and toby keith.....whatever works for me is what I listen to......
Wow...Hatebreed...I think you're my new BFF I love Hatebreed.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:52 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,364,938 times
Nickelback...because it's easier to listen to and enjoy in the garage when I'm wrenching and drinking High Life. But that's about it. They do pretty much suck with their 'vanilla' sound...so I got Nickelback up to 4 votes. You're welcome.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:58 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Nickelback really does suck, I'm sorry. Not to be mean but seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music