U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2008, 03:18 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,835,185 times

Advertisements

Little known outside of La American folk music

Zydeco (French: "les haricots" or "le zaricot", English: "snap beans") is a form of American roots or folk music, that evolved from the jure during the late 1800s call and response vocal music of the black and multiracial French-speaking Creoles of south and southwest Louisiana.

Zydeco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Geno Delafose (born February 6, 1972 in Eunice, Louisiana[1]) is a zydeco accordionist and singer. He is one of the younger generations of the genre who has created the sound known as the nouveau zydeco.
Geno Delafose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Geno Delafose

Zydeco dance

YouTube - Zydeco Dancing Boozoo Chavis "Allons a Lafayette"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 07:04 AM

13,394 posts, read 41,913,561 times
I enjoy
Beausoleil, have seen them in concert several times.
Have seen Doug Kershaw and Buckwheat Zydeco as well.
Makes you want to get up and dance!

Old 12-31-2008, 11:54 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,608,593 times
Sidney Simien aka Rockin' Sidney

"My Toot Toot" : I Am Not The Beatles » Blog Archive » Rockin’ Sidney - My Toot Toot - 1985 - Jinn Records (http://www.iamnotthebeatles.com/?p=402 - broken link)

Old 12-31-2008, 12:17 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,603,509 times
This is some of my favorite music. Our famous Waterfront Blues Festival here in Portland always devotes a day of zydeco music to one of the stages. There is nothing like it to generate energy. Louisiana music, in general, is "happy music".

I like C.J. Chenier ("The Squeeze" is a GREAT road-trip cd!). I also love Beau Jocque (I so wish he was still around), Terrence Simeon, Rosie Ledet, Buckwheat.

I'll be in New Orleans next year for Jazz Fest, and I'm sure I'll come home with some more collections.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:07 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,209,604 times
I like listening to Zydeco music also. Have friends in Louisiana

Old 12-31-2008, 05:41 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,519,936 times
I love Queen Ida...there was a live album that she played her version of Nick Lowe's "Half a Boy and Half a Man"

Anyone have this?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:fjfoxqr5ldde

Here's Nick's version, sans squeezebox. I like Ida's version equally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVVp8...eature=related

This is a bit on Queen Ida but good as always...

YouTube - Queen Ida and The Bon Temps Zydeco Band - Rosa Majeur

Akron Ohio's own Mo' Mojo Mama's

Home - The Mo' Mojo Band- Zydeco Cajun and New Orleans Mardi Gras music.* Akron, Ohio* OH

Not too many bands make me stay til bar closing time...this one does...they put out plenty of heat in NE Ohio cold...

Last edited by newmex; 12-31-2008 at 05:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or