U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:55 PM

29,170 posts, read 51,421,130 times

Advertisements

The facts are these: Just after 1 a.m. February 3, 1959, a three-passenger Beechcraft Bonanza went down about five miles northwest of Mason City Municipal Airport, near Clear Lake, Iowa. The plane crash took the lives of the pilot, Roger Peterson, and three musicians: Charles Hardin Holley, better known as Buddy Holly, 22; Ritchie Valens (originally Valenzuela), 17; and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson, 28.

'The day the music died'? Hardly - CNN.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 02:18 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,131,821 times
What's incredible about that story was that Waylon Jennings did not get on that fateful plane on that day. That ended up being a great story for country music and what became the Outlaw movement, at least in that sense. Imagine if those who perished had lived instead --- where would those people have been had it not happened, and what they'd have done for music? We'll never know.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:18 PM

3,650 posts, read 8,704,951 times
The rest wouldn't have been much, musically, as they really weren't in the first place. Holly may have ended up arguably the best ever - and despite a shortened resume, is still considered up there - one of the all-time true rock n roll greats.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:48 PM

10,580 posts, read 10,970,231 times
Just a little reminder, so that we never forget....

YouTube - Buddy Holly Live in New York With Peggy Sue 1958...

YouTube - Oh Donna Live..

YouTube - Chantilly Lace - The Big Bopper (1958)..

YouTube - Buddy Holly - True Love Ways..

YouTube - Ritchie Valens Performes La Bamba Live!....

YouTube - The Big Bopper - Teenage Moon

Old 02-03-2009, 04:29 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,918,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
What's incredible about that story was that Waylon Jennings did not get on that fateful plane on that day. That ended up being a great story for country music and what became the Outlaw movement, at least in that sense. Imagine if those who perished had lived instead --- where would those people have been had it not happened, and what they'd have done for music? We'll never know.
As it happened other voices emerged and the legacy continues.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:05 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,583,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
It was a coin flip between Ritchie Valens and Tommy Allsup that put Valens on that plane.

Buddy Holly & The Crickets.com - Tommy Allsup (http://www.buddyhollyonline.com/related/allsup.html - broken link)

Tommy is heard on some of Buddys' tunes. They met at Norman Petty recording studio in Clovis, New Mexico.

NORMAN PETTY STUDIOS Online - Clovis, NM Official Site (http://www.superoldies.com/pettystudios.html - broken link)

I toured the studio which still exists today, when I lived near Clovis. A not miss tour if you are a Buddy Holly fan. Kenneth Broad walked me through. There was a guy sweeping the walk outside that he called in...he sang back-up vocals on on of Buddys songs can't remember which...a very personal touring experience.

I heard that Paul McCartney funds the preservation of that landmark.

Clovis also has their own Rock Hall

http://www.pettymuseum.com/

I worked at the local sign company in Clovis that helped build the facade. I left for Ohio for family matters but stopped back at Clovis Sign last August, a great place that I worked at to see the assemblage that was to be installed. Nice....Cleveland doesn't have it all!

As an aside, the weather sucks here in Ohio. I grew up here, but I miss Texas and New Mexico....nice folks there...common courtesy to spare.

Last edited by newmex; 02-03-2009 at 05:45 PM..

Old 02-03-2009, 05:18 PM

17,196 posts, read 22,995,108 times
Newmex is right. I've been there twice. The recording studio is really cool. I visited it first in 1988. Norman's wife Vi showed everyone the different rooms, the equipment is really cool. There are RIAA record awards all over the place with other groups that Petty produced. One of my favorite posters on the New Mexico forum, Clairz, told me that Norman's kids keep it open on an appointment basis.

A real treat is in August in Clovis when the Buddy Holly sock hop happens. I've seen some great people there, a couple show favorites being Bobby Vee, and also the Fireballs, who originally are from Raton, New Mexico. I recommend paying it a visit-you'd love it.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:26 PM

Hey Dub H, freezing my arse here in Akron, pining for Pinon and the beautiful Southwest!

The Fireballs!! Recorded at Petty Studios...Norm Petty used a mike trick to get that Bass Slap tone I was told...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DW8ecqu0Iw

Hey, Is Tommy Allsup related to the Allsup convenience store empire equipped with the fryer bins that made you walk out of there after buying gas and beer smelling like you spent a shift working at McD's?

Last edited by newmex; 02-03-2009 at 05:41 PM..

Old 02-03-2009, 05:30 PM

17,196 posts, read 22,995,108 times
I just talked to my friend in Edgewood, just east of Albuquerque. Temp there today in the mid 60's!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 PM

Awwwwwwwwwwww...gonna be 10 tomorrow here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music