Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 06:27 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times

Advertisements

Any Emmylou Harris fans? I'm trying to research a song from 1975 that was all over my radio station in Boston.. It may be Sweet Dreams" on the album Elite Hotel. So I'm researching a little, looking for someone who has this album/CD before I try to buy it myself. Anyone have it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 06:40 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Have you listened to the sound clip on Amazon? Try this link:
Amazon.com: Elite Hotel: Emmylou Harris: Music

Listen to the sound clip to see if that's the song you were thinking of. If you are just thinking of the song "Sweet Dreams," but are not sure it was Emmylou Harris, then you will have lots of choices. It's been recorded many times by many different artists, but the original by Patsy Cline is still considered by many to be the best.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:57 AM

177 posts, read 971,500 times
It probably was Emmylou, it was one of her early hits. Its a live version that also features Rodney Crowell singing harmony, who was a member of her band in those days.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:29 PM

thanks, jdavid - but I'm actually still on dial-up, so listening and video things are often difficult.

Yeah, I'm really just looking for the song Sweet Dreams. Things by that name have been recorded a lot.. but near as I can tell they are the song I taped off the radio. My song starts 'Sweet Dreams of crystal waters, mountains chasing up the sky...'

I have a bunch of people listening to my old cassette (some are really good at singer ID, and one even works at a radio station) and they all seem to think it sounds like a young Emmylou - and it might have been! I remember when I used to hear the singer's name, it ws an odd sounding one that I never heard before.

I've also tried doing lyric searches, and they imply that the song Emmylou recorded isn't the one I have on tape... but you never know they might be wrong (I can hope). I know I recorded mine in 1975, I know I heard it a lot on the radio. Unfortunately when I was taping it, I left the DJ saying the name but shut it off just before he said the artist.

So that's why I'm wondering if someone actually has the album/CD if they can check the song and see if it's my song... the chorus is really pretty: 'Follow the eagle if you dare.... (repeated about 3 or 4 times) wherever you are going to, he's already there'. I wanna find out who sang it! I think it's Emmylou?

Old 08-31-2008, 09:32 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,935,813 times
I have been following this thread and doing a bit of googling also. I have one Emmylou album from about that time and for the life of me, I can't locate it. I was a Boston area listener in those days too. If you can tell us the station(s) that were playing this song, Maybe I, or you, can find can find a play list or chart from 1975. Maybe.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:28 AM

SquarePeg, you can do that?? I was listening to WEEI-FM (too bad it's become a sports station now). I think it was around 103 on the 'dial'.

According to GraceNote, she had an album called Elite Hotel that came out in '75 and it has a song called "Sweet Dreams" on it. I just don't know if it's 'my' version.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:36 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,328 times
Emmylou Harris – Sweet Dreams – Music at Last.fm

Old 09-01-2008, 01:45 PM

Thanks, Lincolnshire - but I have no way to listen to downloaded music. Does it have the lyrics I mentioned in it? My song starts 'Sweet Dreams of crystal waters, mountains chasing up the sky...' the chorus is really pretty: 'Follow the eagle if you dare.... (repeated about 3 or 4 times) wherever you are going to, he's already there'.

If it does, then I'll see about buying the CD, but if it's not... I'm not really a fan except for that song.

How do you find a playlist for a station from 33 years ago?

Old 09-01-2008, 05:44 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,328 times
It`s not the one..It`s the old Patsy Cline standard...I`ve gone through all the lyrics on Elite Hotel and no joy there, so that`s a dead end I`m afraid... When I`ve time I`ll check on the other albums from around that time...

Old 09-01-2008, 06:12 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Wanna Come Home! Double H here, haven't been posting a lot as I am visiting friends out of state. "Sweet Dreams Of You " is off her CD Brand New Dance, I bought it in Spring of 1990. It's not the same version of the Patsy Cline classic, but it's a pretty song nonetheless. I'm a little partial to her anyway, one of my favorite country singers for many moons. CD is in print, should be able to find it in a store or online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music