Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 10:58 PM

752 posts, read 2,085,545 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to vent, I was listening to what they call "death metal" on some TV channel, and it all sounded so angry and negative...like glorifying a hedonistic, maybe satanic?? evil society or culture. And it all sounded like a chainsaw or jackhammer IMO...really really heavy on the drums. And fast speed. I couldn't listen too long! whew

I personally prefer classic hard rock and some of the heavy metal "lite" bands of the 70s-80s. Now that is music! I am talking about some people like Ozzy Osbourne, Alice Cooper, Guns N' Roses, heck, I evn like a few Metallica ballads. I am obviously a bigger fan of the "older" stuff.

Just wondering what is behind the desire to listen to music that seems to be full of rage, hate, negativity, etc...I would think people would prefer to follow the light, the positive, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 01:53 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
If you like Ozzy you like heavy metal.
Death metal is something completely different.
Listening to aggressive music is a great way to blow off some steam and relax.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:05 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
You couldn't pay me to listen to any form of heavy metal, death metal, or whatever. Or rap. That garbage is degenerate. I like easy listening music. Elevator music.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:14 AM

46 posts, read 99,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You couldn't pay me to listen to any form of heavy metal, death metal, or whatever. Or rap. That garbage is degenerate. I like easy listening music. Elevator music.
You couldn't pay me to listen to elevator music.

I've been listening to different genres of metal music for 20 years. I listen to metal for the same reason I listen to all other music, including jazz, hip-hop, classic rock, punk, country, and folk.

It makes me feel alive. Metal has feeling, and metal has passion just like any other music. Yes, some genres have overtones about religion and dark arts, but that's just one genre. Just like any other form of music, there can be lyrics about love, personal struggle, the environment, politics, or anything else.

Everyone has their opinion about music, and we're all free to listen to what we want. If metal is your thing, cool, and if not, cool.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:41 AM

364 posts, read 559,877 times
I think people who have an intermediate or higher level of musicianship on any instrument/genre would see extreme metal differently than non-musicians. I've found the people that call it "noise" do not play music, and don't enjoy listening to music that takes an effort to understand, for the most part.

Some extreme metal (which is what the very heavy stuff is referred to as) has a very positive message.

Gojira's music is about being kind to others, finding happiness, being in touch with nature and the universe, and treating the environment:

Gojira - In The Forest - YouTube

"In the Forest" - Gojira

I want to live in the forest
Between the roots and the branches I lay
On the moss I sit, I want to rest by the river

I want to live in the forest forever
The power of trees, I want to feel forever
Connection with life, animals, and stars

Between the roots and the branches I lay
Meditate the light wide open to the stars
Speak of the whales, deep in the oceans
Speak to the planets, deep universe

Gojira- A Sight to Behold "The Way of All Flesh" - YouTube

"A Sight To Behold" - Gojira

Reflecting ourselves in the blood of all the beings we slay
Misunderstand each other, out of control we remain
There is a mystery, we're facing a sight to behold
This is what we make of the world, we throw everything away

The way we all behave is not understandable
It is so sad to see the wealth of our planet fade away
We all behave like children, taking off the head of our teddy bear
To see what's inside, taking, not giving back
We drain the oceans and suck all the blood out of the soil
We spend the time we have left fighting and killing each other
Lust for comfort, entertainment becomes an obsession
And there is so much time to kill

The way I see things is so simple
The fact I'm walking standing on this land
Exhausted is the realm of nature, friends are dying
The living creatures on our side
The way I see myself so confused so sophisticated
I have to stay away from me
But I still don't get the point
What's worth destroying all the worlds
Try not to get it anymore

You burn yourself, set fire for good
We die eyes closed, dig your own grave now
Tossed in the blaze naked on the flame
Lost with no pride, drowned in the filth
The giant snake is coming down to eat our heads
And the flood will kill us, Mantus is rising from under

The way I see things is so simple
The fact I'm living dying on this land
Exhausted is the realm of nature, friends are dying
The living creatures on our side
The way I see myself so confused so sophisticated
Don't have to stay away from me
But I still don't get the point
What's worth destroying all the worlds

Try not to get it anymore

I like all types of music, and don't consider myself a "dark" person, but this type of music has greatly enriched my life. OP, I hope you can appreciate or at least respect this type of art in the future.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:23 PM

752 posts, read 2,085,545 times
Liquid Sword, thanks for posting. I am very pro-environment and took a few minutes to check out gojira great lyrics overall

Old 08-05-2013, 02:31 PM

364 posts, read 559,877 times
I'm into music for the music first, which is honestly what initially drew me to heavy, aggressive music when I was a teenager. Cool lyrics/message are secondary to me, but when they're great, it's gravy. Exploring new art is all about thinking about things from a new perspective, and going out of your comfort zone to experience things you hadn't or maybe think about things different.

I hope you check out other metal as well. It isn't all about chopping up babies.

*Edit* I'm also curious if you listened to the music, or just read the lyrics?

Old 08-05-2013, 02:36 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Metal has some amazing musicians.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:41 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I'm not trying to vent, I was listening to what they call "death metal" on some TV channel, and it all sounded so angry and negative...like glorifying a hedonistic, maybe satanic?? evil society or culture. And it all sounded like a chainsaw or jackhammer IMO...really really heavy on the drums. And fast speed. I couldn't listen too long! whew

I personally prefer classic hard rock and some of the heavy metal "lite" bands of the 70s-80s. Now that is music! I am talking about some people like Ozzy Osbourne, Alice Cooper, Guns N' Roses, heck, I evn like a few Metallica ballads. I am obviously a bigger fan of the "older" stuff.

Just wondering what is behind the desire to listen to music that seems to be full of rage, hate, negativity, etc...I would think people would prefer to follow the light, the positive, etc....
and your parents probably said the same thing about the crappy bands you like. Don't be such a hypocrite.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:52 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post

Actually, a lot of heavy metal is not actually angry. It just sounds angry because it's aggressive and brash, but if you listen to the lyrics, you'll find plenty of songs that are actually quite positive, are about nature, or are about science.

I mean, does this sound uplifting just based on the music? Probably not. But read the lyrics all the way through. (I admit that they're not easily understood just listening, between the vocal style and the fact that these guys are French). It's actually about perseverance through adversity and is quite positive, kind of "that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

As for the stuff that is angry, one word should sum it up: catharsis.

Like you, I'm not so much into speed metal. Musically, that's just not my thing. The video above is as close as I get to it. But I do enjoy some "nu metal" and more modern metal--Disturbed, Korn, Slipknot, etc.

Plus, I have a bit of a crush on David Draiman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music