U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 08:46 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,668,820 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a new thread about our fav musicians no matter whether it is a band or a solo musician.
I want to talk about the history how you got acquainted with your very fav musician for a first time. You know maybe one day all of a sudden you heard some good song coming out from the passing car and then this song and the musician who performed it became your fav. Or maybe your parents told you, "Dear, try and listen to my fav. You gonna like it. When I was the same age with you I liked it a lot". Or maybe something else. Tell you story

Here is my story.
When I was a school boy I used to like "Smokie" and "Beatles" very much. Probably my fav was "Smokie" cause the songs of this band are rock style but they are very soft, melodic, gentle. I liked it much, even Beatles were less adorable for me way back.
One day a friend of mine told me that his fav is Queen though I had never heard about 'em before. He told me, "If you want to hear some Queen songs then you gotta watch the movie called Highlander".
Later on my friend gave me a stereo cassete and I came home and started listening to it. Actualy the cassette was double-sided. I started to listen to and liked Queen (as I thought).
Next day I talked to my friend and I told him that the band is pretty good and then turned on the song I liked most. But my friend told, "It's not Queen". I said, ""Whaat? Why not? Are you sure?". And he said, "Yeah, definetly. It's not Queen". I was shocked.
I came come and started to listen to this cassete again and found out that I turned on the wrong side
I found out actually the band I liked was not Queen but Eagles (I never heard 'em before either) and the song I liked was "Hotel California".
When I turned on the other side of cassette and the first Queen's song I heard was probably "Innuendo" and the second was "I Want To Break Free". I guess it was B-side with some Queen's songs from "Greatest Hits vol.2". I didn't like 'em.
I thought, "Why do my friend like it?" To me it lacked melody and harmony, it was too acute and shrill. You know I used to listen to melodic soft songs of Smokie and Beatles and "Greates Hits vol.2", Queen seemed to be very harsh.
Later I tried to listen to other songs on this cassette and it happened that I come across "Radio GaGa". I liked that song much.
But in fact I became a real fan of Queen only when suddenly heard "The Show Must Go On" somewhere outside on the street.
Many years have gone since then and my taste has changed and I now like lots of Queen songs even such tuneless like "I Want To Break Free". It's tuneless, yes, but it is full with energy and fun. Sure not my fav song but I like it anyways.
You know it's like an alcohol. When you're a kid you only like juices and soda. When you grow older you become to like some strong drinks. To me music is the same a bit. When I was a kid I used to like only soft melodies, but now I like both the soft and the hard melodies no matter whether it is JT, Beatles, Queen, Metallica or Rammstein.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or