Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 02:48 PM

2,051 posts, read 9,335,489 times

Advertisements

I LOVE this thread! I can only "feel" these times thru
people talking about it tho... I've said before that I
use to think that I was born in the 40s and died in
the 70s from a drug overdose... then incarnated into
the family/life experience presently...

A strange thought for a kid from a religious sub-culture
but ... well anyway I love yall talking about it! Thank
you so much!... It fulfills something inside just to be
around the memories and speakings.

B.Frank! You too as to the Delta??? I would have married
Jessie Mae hemphill... next would have been ... Grace
Slick! LOL ... tho I love hearing about Carly Simon...
hehehe

DesertSun you are a dream come true! I am eating up
EVERYTHING you say... and framing it! LOL

MMC

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 04:03 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,568 times
Don't get me wrong....I would have LOVED to have lived through the late 70's/ early 80's post-punk era. Talking Heads, Wire, Gang Of Four, Joy Division, The Cure, The Fall, Killing Joke...Yikes! I'm drooling all over the keyboard!

Old 05-08-2009, 04:12 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I was born in '75, but I wish I'd have been born in '55. I'd have grown up in the 60's and by the time all the stupid, pretentious music came around, I'd have been too old to care about it anyway.
perhaps for you but for most of us that is certainly not the case. I was born in the fifties and came of age in the seventies. when I was coming of age sex was safe, scuba and skydiving were thought to be dangerous. that decade was without a doubt a great time to be in your late teens, all that great music, colombian gold, great powerful cars to driven right off of the showroom floor and a libertine attitude to boot. what I must have missed in my journey through time is all the stupid and pretentuous music you refer to. if anything the twentieth century was a period of wonderful and rich music whose geometric growth was accellerated by the majic of radio.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:25 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I was born in time enough to hear most of the music I enjoy as it came out on the radio. I did miss the Doors, Janis, and Jimi...they all died too soon.
Those 3. Morrison, Joplin and Hendrix. Where would they be today had they not killed themselves with drugs? Would they be retired? Would they still be playing? What else could they have accomplished?

All 3 have tragic stories.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAtMcCain View Post
I LOVE this thread! I can only "feel" these times thru
people talking about it tho... I've said before that I
use to think that I was born in the 40s and died in
the 70s from a drug overdose... then incarnated into
the family/life experience presently...

A strange thought for a kid from a religious sub-culture
but ... well anyway I love yall talking about it! Thank
you so much!... It fulfills something inside just to be
around the memories and speakings.

B.Frank! You too as to the Delta??? I would have married
Jessie Mae hemphill... next would have been ... Grace
Slick! LOL ... tho I love hearing about Carly Simon...
hehehe

DesertSun you are a dream come true! I am eating up
EVERYTHING you say... and framing it! LOL

MMC

`
Thanks MMC. I never seen anything like the response I got from this thread and my other comments on Cat Stevens. I get DMs and REPs like everone else but this one thread in about 3 days got me over 30 REPs. 21 of them are non registered members where I can only get one point. Where the hell did they all come from.

I will hit ya with some more stories. I just wanted to spread out my posts a bit.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:18 PM

Hmmmm lets see now. I been telling all...nope.....maybe bragging about what it was like to be a Hippy and experience that wonderful life changing style of peace, love and rock and roll. Ever been to Seattle? There were many types of rock born in different places and Seattle also had their own scene and it was big. I hung out with a girl I will call Jules. We were not boyfriend girlfriend but she was real tight with Roger Fisher of Heart. Later when Heart became famous Roger dumped Jules for Nancy Wilson. I seen little of Jules for around 30 years. Then in 1998 we found eachother, married and divorced in about 2003. Jules also dated Bryan Adams for quite some time....till he became famous.

Jules was from Vancouver, Canada which had it's own rock scene. We hung out in Stanley Park in Vancouver where oddly many rock bands were formed. I learned all these years later that Jules was married to the lead singer of Wishbone Ash for many years. Yea she was a Brit too.

It was during my years with Jules that I got to meet her first love, David Crosby. Jules remained best friends with Crosby, Stills, and Nash's personal traveling Photographer who has been with the band for more then 30 years. Buzz is an Immigration Lawyer in Newport Beach, California. Taking pictures for CSNY is a hobby. Buzz got us top seats in the house for CSNs shows as well as David Crosbys side gig called CPR. CPR was Crosby, Peevar and Raymond. James Raymond is Crosbys long lost son he never new he had till James was in his late 20s. Turns out James Raymond is quite the musician on is own. So anyway we sat stage side for several of those shows.

We had attended a dinner with the band in Pasadena, Calif. Neil Shoen from Journey was there too. It was a benefit concert for Davids children fund held at Pasedena College.

Buzz also got us seats sitting with Judy Collins family for a David Crosby and Judy Collins concert in about 2002 in Las Vegas. As you may know, Stephen Stills wrote "Suite Judy Blue Eyes" for his love Judy Collins. The song was made famous when CSN sang it at Woodstock. It's a classic now. At this show each did their own solo show but the last 3 songs they did duet including Suite Judy Blue Eyes. Awesome show !!!

"Send in the Clowns" Judy. We should all "Look at Life From Both Sides Now".

Old 05-08-2009, 07:10 PM

2,051 posts, read 9,335,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Thanks MMC. I never seen anything like the response I got from this thread and my other comments on Cat Stevens. I get DMs and REPs like everone else but this one thread in about 3 days got me over 30 REPs. 21 of them are non registered members where I can only get one point. Where the hell did they all come from.

I will hit ya with some more stories. I just wanted to spread out my posts a bit.
LOL DesertSun... they were all lurking like
Ms. RareWonder until something hit their hearts
hard... really I think people are having such a
hard time they don't want more fussin and
fighting and heartache in their lives so just
lurk... things are too sad... I'll follow your
post as I'm sure many others as well...

also... libraries might have change hours since
more people have lost homes etc... City is doing
a great job with their marketing and people are
finding their way here... especially if we use titles
I suspect...

1960s bring Joy... they tell a friend who tells a
friend and bingo! ... somehow everything sad
disappears for awhile if one time travels back and
remember... now I see why Mr. G stays with his
didgeridoo... the amount of lurkers been
explosive lately... chuckle... new names in the
forum as well... its a revolution!

MMC

`

Old 05-08-2009, 09:31 PM

18,214 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Lots of good observations by Desertsun41 on this thread.
One of the advantages of growing up in the late 50's and early 60's was how all genres of music was changing. There certainly were a lot less radio stations back then, but they were playing a wide variety of music. It was not uncommon at all for artists to reach across genres and have an impact with a different audience.

Take Country music. Roger Miller, Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, Johnny Horton, were amongst a handful of people in the Country genre who charted songs on the Billboard rock charts. Same with jazz, easy listening, and other categories. Local urban radio stations had their top 50 or top 30 or whatever, and a dozen or so new songs would come on the charts every week and the bottom end would be off the charts, but played maybe a few months later as oldies. The music was always changing, and that was the idea.

Today's radio sucks out loud and has sucked for 2, maybe 3 decades. Why?
Jacor, Clear Channel, and other huge conglomerates have run small mom and pop radio stations down the road in short order. You will hear the same songs being played all the time. Promoting a local band? No. promoting a record/cd swap meet on the radio for the sake of the hobby itself? No.

Their line of thought is basically the same theory as the big box retailers stocking product. "If we don't have it, you don't need it."

I was lucky to have grown up in this era to see music PROGRESS. Having the same radio stations play the same songs is STAGNATION.

I don't know how mom and pop stores do it. A lot of them have shut their doors years ago, but some still are around. They are the ones who still care about the hobby. They care about their clientele and know their clientele's taste in music. And will introduce them to be-bop jazz, traditional country, motown, celtic, bluegrass, delta blues, rockabilly, rhythm and blues,folk, etc., from the 90's back to the 40's. Every decade has something to offer.

My favorite era for music is 1964 to 1974. It is amazing how music evolved in these ten years, and that goes for all genres, not just rock and roll. To this day I find more music I hadn't listened to before has come from this era and I don't mind plunking down the cash to buy it.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-08-2009 at 10:04 PM..

Old 05-08-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAtMcCain View Post
LOL DesertSun... they were all lurking like
Ms. RareWonder until something hit their hearts
hard... really I think people are having such a
hard time they don't want more fussin and
fighting and heartache in their lives so just
lurk... things are too sad... I'll follow your
post as I'm sure many others as well...

also... libraries might have change hours since
more people have lost homes etc... City is doing
a great job with their marketing and people are
finding their way here... especially if we use titles
I suspect...

1960s bring Joy... they tell a friend who tells a
friend and bingo! ... somehow everything sad
disappears for awhile if one time travels back and
remember... now I see why Mr. G stays with his
didgeridoo... the amount of lurkers been
explosive lately... chuckle... new names in the
forum as well... its a revolution!

MMC

`
Yea maybe you are right. With this economic depression there are near 10 million Americans out of work and things are getting worse. Many people are already logged on searching the job listings daily and see nothing new. So they begin to lurk and search for things important in their lives and the past always tops everyones better times.

Just by the mention of certian old songs we mention brings back memories when life was better and simpler.

In our ever quest for technoligy we lost something didn't we. Computers were suppose to save us time in everything we do yet who has a spare minute to do things with family? Or take a weekend off to the beach? Or even take in a concert? No one has the time and if they found some they would fail at finding the extra money to do so.

Society is deteriorating. The govt is slowly taking over our lives. The pigs are getting more aggressive and intruding on our lives and our rights, what's left of them. No more music is even made today outside of Country. Todays kids are tomorrow's criminals. Everyone is overweight because the only excercise they get is with their two fingers playing video games. Schools suck. They teach useless trash like algebra and discarded phys ed. The school bell rings and the teachers are in their cars and gone before the kids even make it to the bus yet complain they work long hours.....all 5 hours a day of it. They are just in it for that way too large pay check for a part time job.

In the old day when things were bad you could just turn on the radio and drown in your music. Today you turn on the radio and 45 minutes out of every hour is some idiot screaming bloody murder that his cars are the cheapest, greatest, with the best sale yet, which suggests to me that all the others were bad. Then after all the senseless chatter by stupid DJs you hear maybe 10 minutes of music per hour.

So we have to stick in our 30 year old CDs and do like Tom Shultz sings in the great Boston song: I drown in my music, forget the day, and dream of a girl I used to know, I closed my eyes and she slipped away.............................

So many people have come and gone. The faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wonder on. As clear as the sun in the summer day.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Lots of good observations by Desertsun41 on this thread.
One of the advantages of growing up in the late 50's and early 60's was how all genres of music was changing. There certainly were a lot less radio stations back then, but they were playing a wide variety of music. It was not uncommon at all for artists to reach across genres and have an impact with a different audience.

Take Country music. Roger Miller, Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, Johnny Horton, were amongst a handful of people in the Country genre who charted songs on the Billboard rock charts. Same with jazz, easy listening, and other categories. Local urban radio stations had their top 50 or top 30 or whatever, and a dozen or so new songs would come on the charts and the bottom end would be off the charts, but played maybe a few months later as oldies. The music was always changing, and that was the idea.

Today's radio sucks out loud and has sucked for 2, maybe 3 decades. Why?
Jacor, Clear Channel, and other huge conglomerates have run small mom and pop radio stations down the road in short order. You will hear the same songs being played all the time. Promoting a local band? No. promoting a record/cd swap meet on the radio for the sake of the hobby itself? No.

Their line of thought is basically the same theory as the big box retailers stocking product. "If we don't have it, you don't need it."

I was lucky to have grown up in this era to see music PROGRESS. Having the same radio stations play the same songs is STAGNATION.

I don't know how mom and pop stores do it. A lot of them have shut their doors years ago, but some still are around. They are the ones who still care about the hobby. They care about their clientele and know their clientele's taste in music. And will introduce them to be-bop jazz, traditional country, motown, celtic, bluegrass, delta blues, rockabilly, rhythm and blues,folk, etc., from the 90's back to the 40's. Every decade has something to offer.

My favorite era for music is 1964 to 1974. It is amazing how music evolved in these ten years, and that goes for all genres, not just rock and roll. To this day I find more music I hadn't listened to before has come from this era and I don't mind plunking down the cash to buy it.
Oh today's radio. Yea it sucks. We only had AM radio with one speaker up until when? Ya got me on that. 1972??? I seem to remember the very first song I played real loud on my new FM radio when I tested out this new gimmic called bass and treble. I turned it up real loud. Remember: Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose singing "Its too late to turn back now"? I blasted that song. Good song too !!

Today's radio can better be called "Corporate Radio" because it does not serve it's purpose which is to play music. Most all stations have a play set that consistes of maybe 25 songs which they play over and over and over and over and over again, never straying from it. Each hour gets 45 minutes of commercials, usually car commercials. If auto dealers stopped advertising we would have no radio at all. Think about that. Radio does nothing to serve it's communities. It only serves itself. It's motivation? Market share. Period!! Not that they would even have a whole lot to play today with all this wrap and hippity hoppity fruity trash.

While satellite radio promised the world commerical free music it never did deliver. It too now is bogged down with commericals. And take the news portion of radio. They report what suits them. Big corporate and big govt has compete control over what is reported. Just like when Hitler an Stalin controlled their radios.

The answer my friend is blowin in the wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music