Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:55 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times

Advertisements

Eminem is NOT the only lyrical rapper in the world!

Neither is he the BEST rapper in the world, so stop making him the god of hip hop!

I can name 20 to 30 rappers who are as good as him and better.

He is NOT the best freestyler in the world! He is one of the best but not THE best.

He is NOT the best battle rapper in the world, I know he won the battle olympics but he is ONE of the best, not the best.

He is among my favorite rappers to listen to but please stop this madness.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 12:55 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,136 times
Give me your top 5 Mc's alive today.

I have Eminem on mine.

* Black Thought

* Eminem

* Kool G Rap

* Big Daddy Kane

* Jay Z

No particular order!

Last edited by Mr. Opinion; 03-18-2010 at 01:21 PM..

Old 03-18-2010, 02:45 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,724 times
He does get a lot of praise. I feel the same way about Biggie, personally. I know it might be heresy but I don't know why he gets touted as among the best ever. Was he good? No question. Very good? I'll say yes. But for me, he wasn't off the charts or anything. Maybe it was that he got "big" at the right time or something. I remember when "Juicy" came out it was just on the radio constantly. Maybe it was the publicized East Coast/West Coast rivalry.
I think the death of Big L was a much bigger loss artistically.

Oops, sorry to be so off topic. I was never a big Eminem fan. His voice is just kinda cartoony and annoying. Can't deny his skills too much, though.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:05 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
He does get a lot of praise. I feel the same way about Biggie, personally. I know it might be heresy but I don't know why he gets touted as among the best ever. Was he good? No question. Very good? I'll say yes. But for me, he wasn't off the charts or anything. Maybe it was that he got "big" at the right time or something. I remember when "Juicy" came out it was just on the radio constantly. Maybe it was the publicized East Coast/West Coast rivalry.
I think the death of Big L was a much bigger loss artistically.

Oops, sorry to be so off topic. I was never a big Eminem fan. His voice is just kinda cartoony and annoying. Can't deny his skills too much, though.
Plus he's also highly regarded in the Rap community which is a predominantly black genre - think that says a lot in and of itself. Jackoffs like Vanilla Ice, well, don't even get me started on that wannabe.

While I don't like all of Eminem's songs, there are several that I do. Personally I think if a skinny white boy from Detroit can make it big in Rap, well . . . let's say one of his songs inspired me to have the courage to do what I'm doing now.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:56 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Eminem is a monster on the mic, but he's been so so since the Marshall Mathers LP

Old 03-19-2010, 07:59 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
Plus he's also highly regarded in the Rap community which is a predominantly black genre - think that says a lot in and of itself. Jackoffs like Vanilla Ice, well, don't even get me started on that wannabe.

While I don't like all of Eminem's songs, there are several that I do. Personally I think if a skinny white boy from Detroit can make it big in Rap, well . . . let's say one of his songs inspired me to have the courage to do what I'm doing now.
Rap is a predominantly white genre, whites consume more hip hop than blacks. Eminem said it himself that his success is due to him being white.

Yes he is good, I think he is overrated when people say that he is the ONLY lyrical rapper.

Here are the rappers who are at least as good and better than Eminem:

1. Nas
2. Immortal Technique
3. Jay Z
4. Del the Funky Homosapien
5. Gang Starr
6. Common
7. Mos Def
8. Shing 02
9. Chan
10. Akir
11. Rakim
12. Tupac
13. Biggie
14. KRS-One
15. LL Cool J

There are many more than this.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:09 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Eminem is a monster on the mic, but he's been so so since the Marshall Mathers LP
I completely agree. I adore the Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers, his skills are tight and the lyrics are poignant and at times hysterically funny. However, after M. Mathers I felt he lost his edge. The Eminem Show felt hollow and too slick. He wasn't hungry anymore and it showed. Breaks my heart cause I just love the earlier stuff, but how often can ya listen to the same stuff?

Old 03-27-2010, 06:01 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Rap is a predominantly white genre, whites consume more hip hop than blacks. Eminem said it himself that his success is due to him being white.

Yes he is good, I think he is overrated when people say that he is the ONLY lyrical rapper.

Here are the rappers who are at least as good and better than Eminem:

1. Nas
2. Immortal Technique
3. Jay Z
4. Del the Funky Homosapien
5. Gang Starr
6. Common
7. Mos Def
8. Shing 02
9. Chan
10. Akir
11. Rakim
12. Tupac
13. Biggie
14. KRS-One
15. LL Cool J

There are many more than this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I completely agree. I adore the Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers, his skills are tight and the lyrics are poignant and at times hysterically funny. However, after M. Mathers I felt he lost his edge. The Eminem Show felt hollow and too slick. He wasn't hungry anymore and it showed. Breaks my heart cause I just love the earlier stuff, but how often can ya listen to the same stuff?
The rappers you named each have such different styles...sometimes it's hard or impossible to compare rappers...cause due to their unique backgrounds, each was built for a slightly different purpose...like trying to compare a Royal Royce to a Hummer...each vehicle is designed to perform optimaly in it's enviornment...LL Cool J is totally different from Biggie who is totally different than Nas who is totally different than Tupac and so on...

LL Cool J...well the name says it all...I'm going back to cali...one of the few rap songs that doesn't sound dated...you can play that in your car today..and still roll with the heavy base vibe...

KRS-One...a poet...a lyrical poet...who got caught up in that 5% islam stuff...but when you think of him you think of that deep 5% math poet stuff...
Biggie is like a reincarnation of the old style street husslers from the 1970's...he's a big daddy pimp....playa, with a charisma and voice to match...
Tupac...of gosh...the voice of a nation, the voice of two generations...he linked that whole 70's freedom power with the young up and coming thug life generation...
He had more passion and energy than 5 rappers put together...his eyes glowed...and when he rapped, you got the sense he was talking to you personally...
He could stir emotion like no other...he was basically the Mohamid Ali of rap...nough said...

Rakim..OG...or OSR...Old school rapper...his raps were solid and straight...and set the foundation for many who followed...

Gang Starr....He was the Sammy Davis Jr of rap...he added a nice jazzy flavor to his sound...he honored the great jazz players before him by incorporating their vibe into is productions...

Jay Z....I'm not really a Jay Z fan...I respect him only cause others do and he's obviously struck a chord with millions...to me with him it;s the melodies that soround his rap that are impressive...

Nas...when you think of Nas, you think of 1990's underground...the sound that people turned to to get away from that commercial radio rap sound...where you had DJ's who sounded like they were from Harvard law school, playing 'jams' on Friday nights...
There's nothing worse than a square guy trying to fake a street accent while playing hip-hop on the radio...and the 90's was full of that...these plastic sounding DJ's trying to play funk and hip hop on mainstream radio stations...
Nas was the response to that, and so was DMX and a host of other underground mix tape artists....

Old 03-27-2010, 06:25 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
As far as Slim Shady...I actually liked his unique sound when he was independent of Dre...

That's what set him apart originally and is what got Dre's attention...but over the years...you could tell his sound was become too...too...'industry'...to choriagraphed...to studio....

The best Mtv awards entry was by Slim Shady...I thought it was one of the best production introes at any awards show ever...I rank it right up there to the event when Michael Jackson broke out with the moon walk during the emmy awards in 84?...

Also, i think D-12 hurt, not helped Slim Shadies career....D-12...was just another angry urban rap crew...there was nothing original about them...except the fact that slim shady was their childhood friend and promised to come back and promote them if he made it big...
Actually they all made that pact together...that if one of them made it big...they would come back and help the others....
You gotta respect slim for that...and is what really built his street cred in the urban community...cause people knew he was for real...and not just some rich urban kid trying to get a Disney contract...

I really do miss the old slim shady though...but we all grow older and mature...and making millions of dollors does kinda take the fire out of you...

YouTube - Eminem - The Real Slim Shady - The Way I Am - Live + Lyrics

This is the bold original slim shady I miss....
Back when this was done, nothing like this had ever been done before and he literally blew the world away with this...

Think how much nerves and confidence it would of took to carry this out at the time...
And back then, confidence in a rapper was 'sexy'....people needed someone to fill the void left by Tupac when he left...and Slim Shady did that for many....
But I think eventually Dre's influence on Slim Shady made him to 'studio'...just gave him a kind of cookie cutter studio sound...

Anyways...that's just my take...

Old 06-08-2010, 12:20 AM

31 posts, read 42,453 times
Talking ok

Not trying to cause a debate or anything this is just my views and how the people my age in my town view eminem...Yes he is one of our favorite rappers there is...but the reason why is because he raps about life, not just money, hoes and all that......we can relate to what he raps about..NOT SAYING THAT WE RELATE TO ALL OF HIS WORK.....because he does have some about his ex in the trunk and all.....but i do like everything he has put out. but the other rappers yall have listed are good as well. I am big into rap so i am not dissing any of them...listen to them all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music