Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 02:31 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times

Advertisements

These pictures is from the Golden Circle jazzclub in Stockholm which existed 1962-1967.
Gyllene Cirkeln: 60-talets jazzscen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 02:13 AM

9,930 posts, read 13,926,048 times
How about Hank Mobley. Unsung hero until after his death. I'm a sucker for a tenor sax

YouTube - Hank Mobley - I Should Care

YouTube - Hank Mobley - This I Dig Of You

YouTube - Recado Bossa Nova-Hank Mobley

YouTube - Soul Station-Hank Mobley

YouTube - Hank Mobley - The Best Things In Life Are Free

Old 08-07-2009, 06:33 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,136 times

YouTube - Pharoah Sanders - The Creator has a Master Plan

Old 08-07-2009, 10:22 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Those guys are the last of the greats I know it sounds blasphemous but I think College Jazz ruined the art, back in those days you learned from older musicians or by experimenting with a group of young musicians only after they'd been sidemen with some of the greats. I see too many young players who want you marvel at their renditions of Parker, Miles and Coltrane, One of the things that sets the older generation apart from the "College Jazz Era" is the number of great Composers we have from that era.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I don't believe Parker ever went to college. What he did was a natural outgrowth of what the older musicians did. He was a breath of fresh air.

I went to North Texas State University (now U. of North Texas) and sat marvelling at the excellence of the famous Lab Bands many times. When Jazz stopped being the popular music that much of the general population listened to (Swing Era), it had to be kept alive somewhere. When I first started playing professionally, there were many Jazz clubs around for aspiring younger players to listen and 'sit in'. Those days are over, unfortunately.

However, I think I know where you're coming from, and in many cases I think that technique is allowed to subvert soulfulness. The best players can combine them, but lesser ones often simply throw a bunch of notes at the wall to see what sticks. I don't like that much either, unless I'm in the mood to be amused by it.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:45 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Coltrane and Miles spent some time in college. Coltrane, I think Columbia but it was after he came up with the "Harmonic Puzzle" called Giant Steps, Miles spent a little time at Julliard, I may be way off its been a while since I read their Biography's. what amazing is many of the great players all had band in high school and that was sufficient enough for many of them to leave home at 16-17 and play on the road. This is my own opinion here, but I think a major advantage was so many of the early bands played popular tunes of the day. Many of the players learned really well the chord progressions that most jazz was based on, Bebop superimposed new tonalities over those changes and Modal jazz discarded the standard chord changes altogether. I am amazed at how fast younger players can play, but still many of them are not really playing jazz, they are playing jazz theory, You are right playing in clubs educates players on what Jazz fans want to hear.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:00 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,503 times
Default Thelonius Monk-Underground

Nice album Cover!!!

YouTube - Thelonious Monk - In Walked Bud

Old 08-07-2009, 05:18 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Let's have some smoooooooth jazz from one of the masters. Stan Getz.

YouTube - Stan Getz Quartet - Desafinado, Girl from Ipanema
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music