Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:52 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,055,823 times

Advertisements

I realize that opera music is often viewed as "stuffy" or "elitist" (God forbid!)...I am a classically trained soprano & have been singing since I was about 14 years old. I have only had the opportunity to attend one opera though & that was Rigoletto when I was 17, I have sung at many events since that time though & have not gained "primadonna" status (LOL!)

Anyways, if anyone on C-D does listen to opera? Which operas do you prefer? German, Italian, French? Wagner, Puccini? Who are some of your favorite performers & some of your favorite operas?? I'm interested to hear in what some of you have to say...I know that as someone in my twenties, opera is not very highly regarded as far as popular music goes but it is still something very near & dear to my heart.

Thanks for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,286,490 times
I like some German opera, especially Richard Strauss and Wagner. I'm a tubist/bass trombonist, so I have to because of the great low brass parts!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:59 AM

602 posts, read 2,041,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I like some German opera, especially Richard Strauss and Wagner. I'm a tubist/bass trombonist, so I have to because of the great low brass parts!
Wagner is cool, I remember checking out his music when I was a little kid taking piano lessons, but here's my take on opera........

I appreciate it as an artform, and opera singers are EXTREMELY talented.

Opera is not easy to sing and I think opera singers are really held to a higher standard than what most recording artists are, as most of the time, opera singers are singing live in front of a more demanding audience.

That said, though, you really won't catch me going to an opera or listening to the music when I'm at home.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,364,746 times
Don't know much about Opera, but listen to it every Saturday afternoon on the CBC Radio 2. They do a good job of talking about the performance and the performers, and interviewing them, in a way that even a opera hater, can enjoy and learn from.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:03 PM

436 posts, read 1,177,322 times
I love opera, actually I love music full stop. I started listening to opera when I was 20, infact it started with love for requiems, I love them and have been collecting them since then. Opera music is amazing, it overwhelms me. Some of my fav opera are by Puccin - especially la boheme, Gluck, Berlioz, Morzat, Rossin, Verdi. A few of my fav opera are Saint Saens samson et dalila, Giordano Andre Chenier Illica, La boheme by Puccin, Carmen by Rossin. To me french operas are the best. But I am still learning. I dont play any instruments and do have never been to an opera concert, I just by the music, read notes and the stories on the opera. But man I love that music.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:10 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,428,272 times
My personal favorite is Madam Butterfly with Un Bel Di as the song of songs. : )

I also like Wagner but I can only take him in small doses. His music is a bit overwhelming.

Of his work I would pick Tristan und Isolde as my favorite.

I really don't know much about opera but I do know what I like. I'm the same with the art of painting. Show me an impressionist work and I will undoubtably like it. : )

Old 06-18-2009, 01:13 PM

295 posts, read 669,802 times
Not a big fan of Wagner.
My favorite music is Mozart's. He was a genius. Nothing like it.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:05 PM

104 posts, read 86,092 times
I second Mozart's genius!

I actually saw Carmen. Loved it!

It's the only opera I've been to!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:31 PM

205 posts, read 589,663 times
It's total immersion, total passion, and the good guys don't always win.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:04 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,541,925 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music