Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 11:09 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,410,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
My friend I got news for ya. Wrap is wrap is wrap. Ain't no difference. A good poem with lots of curse words and disprespect for women is the theme whether it's north south east or west wrap.
The question in the OP is WHY IS SOUTHERN RAP SO POPULAR. Please try to address the topic or don't post at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardbody1991 View Post
"Gots ta understand Trikk luv da kids"
lol favorite line by that ni66a
I love TDD - my favorite song is Thug Holiday.

To the OP: Southern rap has always been popular, it just took a backseat to all the beef going on with the other rappers. Andre 3000's Love Below is pretty much a solo effort as Big Boi wasn't on the majority of the songs. I would say he's definitely one of the best from the South. Field Mob would be another group on my list, because they have catchy beats and their wordplay is pretty impressive as well. T.I is pretty good although I didn't like Paper Trail as much as his previous albums. I like Devin Tha Dude because he's just funny as hell. used to like Pastor Troy just because his music was so raw but he kinda fell off a while back. Cee-Lo is pretty good, but that Gnarles Barkley

If you're referring to those little play-play rappers like Lil Boosie and Soulja Boy are so popular it's because kids push record sales and most kids wouldn't know good music if it was delivered to them via UPS.

I guess like any other music though Southern rap is an acquired test; if you don't like it than you won't understand while it's popular...what type of rap do you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 10:08 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,288,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
The question in the OP is WHY IS SOUTHERN RAP SO POPULAR. Please try to address the topic or don't post at all.

I love TDD - my favorite song is Thug Holiday.

To the OP: Southern rap has always been popular, it just took a backseat to all the beef going on with the other rappers. Andre 3000's Love Below is pretty much a solo effort as Big Boi wasn't on the majority of the songs. I would say he's definitely one of the best from the South. Field Mob would be another group on my list, because they have catchy beats and their wordplay is pretty impressive as well. T.I is pretty good although I didn't like Paper Trail as much as his previous albums. I like Devin Tha Dude because he's just funny as hell. used to like Pastor Troy just because his music was so raw but he kinda fell off a while back. Cee-Lo is pretty good, but that Gnarles Barkley

If you're referring to those little play-play rappers like Lil Boosie and Soulja Boy are so popular it's because kids push record sales and most kids wouldn't know good music if it was delivered to them via UPS.

I guess like any other music though Southern rap is an acquired test; if you don't like it than you won't understand while it's popular...what type of rap do you like?
I can't even lie, but I like Lil Boosie lol. He's big here in Texas.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:25 PM

42 posts, read 87,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I can't even lie, but I like Lil Boosie lol. He's big here in Texas.
A lot of young people like Lil Boosie. I think anyone who grew up in the 80's or 90's is harder on rappers because they know what "good" rap is. I'm only 20 so I missed a lot of it but my older brothers educated me so I'm good I like most southern rappers especially the older jams. I favor the old TIP over the TI thats out now back when he was just rapping and didn't feel the need to have a bunch of singers on the tracks with him. Andre 3000 is sick - it doesn't matter that he doesn't have a solo album he is off the wall great when it comes to creativity and flow. BOB was the jam back in the day. I like David Banner too but I guess he's not that great lyrically

Old 07-12-2009, 01:53 PM

20,531 posts, read 33,647,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieLoverFriend View Post
A lot of young people like Lil Boosie. I think anyone who grew up in the 80's or 90's is harder on rappers because they know what "good" rap is. I'm only 20 so I missed a lot of it but my older brothers educated me so I'm good I like most southern rappers especially the older jams. I favor the old TIP over the TI thats out now back when he was just rapping and didn't feel the need to have a bunch of singers on the tracks with him. Andre 3000 is sick - it doesn't matter that he doesn't have a solo album he is off the wall great when it comes to creativity and flow. BOB was the jam back in the day. I like David Banner too but I guess he's not that great lyrically
That'd be me. I'm 26 so I grew up with the early-late 90s from Souls of Mischeif to Scarface to Nas to Common to Lords of the Underground to Outkast. Nothing really impresses me right now that's coming from the radio. Nothing really impresses anyone right now that's on the radio.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:09 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,841,136 times
You know what bubblegum rapper I really don't mind hearing? Soulja boy. That lil dude is cool with me just because people love to hate on him because he's making money.

I aint gonna buy the cd or nothing, but I like his beats and melodies.

Hop up out the bed..turn my swag ooooon..take a look in the mirror say wassup..yeeeeaaaahh yeeaaah lol

Old 07-12-2009, 06:16 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,841,136 times
And age has little to do with it. Because a majority of these silly rappers grew up with "good" rap. It's all about trends and popularity. Because I've seen countless Boosie fans up in their 40s.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
And age has little to do with it. Because a majority of these silly rappers grew up with "good" rap. It's all about trends and popularity. Because I've seen countless Boosie fans up in their 40s.
So true. Most of the people here in TX who listen to Boosie are least 20-30 age wise. I'm only 19, but I was still exposed to lots of that old school music as well as new school.

I like Boosie because he actually does talk about stuff that's real, and isn't only making dance songs or talking about getting money and stuff. I think lots of people gave up on him after he came out with zoom lol

Old 07-12-2009, 06:30 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,378,683 times
There's a lot of varieties in Hip-Hop and one of the most popular has to be the dance variety aka that the South is dominating. I think people just like to dance because the Harlem Shake and Chicken Noodle Soup were also popular even though being from NYC. It was nice in the beginning with "Lean Wit It Rock Wit It" and "Walk It Out" I could do both, when "Swag Surf" comes on my mother starts Swag Surfing, when "Stanky Leg" comes on my sister starts doing that, some of the dances get on my nerves though.

That "get light" music gets on my nerves out of every type of music.

I like Boosie and I think its funny how he sounds like Trina.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
There's a lot of varieties in Hip-Hop and one of the most popular has to be the dance variety aka that the South is dominating. It was nice in the beginning with "Lean Wit It Rock Wit It" and "Walk It Out" I could do both, when "Swag Surf" comes on my mother starts Swag Surfing, when "Stanky Leg" comes on my sister starts doing that, some of the dances get on my nerves though.

That "get light" music gets on my nerves out of every type of music.

I like Boosie and I think its funny how he sounds like Trina.
Stanky Leg sucked ass. I hated going to the club and they'd play that song. I'd have to sit down on that one lol

I was doing the Crank Dat Soulja boy and lean wit it though lol; Those songs came out when the dancing songs weren't as tired yet.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:41 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,378,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Stanky Leg sucked ass. I hated going to the club and they'd play that song. I'd have to sit down on that one lol

I was doing the Crank Dat Soulja boy and lean wit it though lol; Those songs came out when the dancing songs weren't as tired yet.
Is the Ricky Bobby big in Texas? I think its from Dallas or Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music