Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2009, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 2,841,136 times
Reputation: 483

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I'm only 19 and I remember the Fugees.
Well yeah but 19 and 16 are two different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2009, 03:34 PM
 
Location: California
1,191 posts, read 1,590,342 times
Reputation: 1775
Being in my early 30s I accept the fact that Rap music is not made for my generation any more (even though many of today's rappers are around my age). I try not to bash the music because it just reminds me of how my elders would bash the music I was so into back in my teens and twenties. With that said, NOTHING I hear on the radio or otherwise impresses me. Today's Southern Rap is an embarrassment. And I say that because I remember "We Can't Be Stopped" by the Geto Boys. I remember when "Southernplayalisticmusik" dropped in 1994. So when I say that it is not good I am not even comparing it to other regions. Today's Southern Rap can't stand up to the Southern Rap from the early 90s.

Another thing that has happened as I have gotten older is my appreciation for music has changed. I like a lot of different things I did not like before. As a result a lot of the older things I used to listen to don't do it for me anymore. Being a Southern California guy I was a HUGE fan of Snoop Dogg and Tupac Shakur. The things is, now when I listen to some of those same tracks I realize they were not as good as I thought they were. A lot of the music I thought was so good seems mediocre now.

I will say this though. Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, PE, Outkast, and some of the old Ice Cube cuts still do it for me. Some songs truly are classic and stand the test of time. But most of what you guys are listening to now won't even crack your rotation in another ten years. It is all part of the process of growing and maturing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
20,531 posts, read 33,647,254 times
Reputation: 12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
And a 21 year old definitely knows the Fugees. They were young when they came out, but they will certainly remember their songs. "Killing me softly", "ready or not", and "fugee-la" are tracks they're bound to know word for word.

The way I look at it, a musical "generation" is defined by the age group it influenced. For instance, if you define an era from 1996 to maybe 2001, find that age group that knew the artists from that period, remembers the dances from that time, and followed the fashion trends of those years.

Since we know our own music better, we're able to divide it up in different periods. But my parents think anything that came out after 1990 is the same crap lol.
Ok so what I think we are talking about is knowing the music and appreciating the music. There is a difference. I don't think 21 year olds appreciated what the Fu-gees was coming out with in 1994 and 1996. Because they were too young. They remembered it. But they were too young. Just like I was too young to appreciate De La Soul in 1990. But I do remember it. I don't really think you start appreciating what you're hearing until your adolescent years (around 10-11 years old). But 21 year olds are 80s babies but most 21 year old today that I have observed actually are in line with the 21 year old co-worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
20,531 posts, read 33,647,254 times
Reputation: 12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post

Another thing that has happened as I have gotten older is my appreciation for music has changed. I like a lot of different things I did not like before. As a result a lot of the older things I used to listen to don't do it for me anymore. Being a Southern California guy I was a HUGE fan of Snoop Dogg and Tupac Shakur. The things is, now when I listen to some of those same tracks I realize they were not as good as I thought they were. A lot of the music I thought was so good seems mediocre now.
That's interesting. For me, everyday that passes, I get closer to my late 20s. Back in 1994 when I was 11, everybody that I was around listened to one cd. Doggystyle from Snoop. It DOMINATED the summer of 93. The Chronic dominated the summer before that. I didn't realize what I was hearing at the time because today, I can't listen to many songs off both albums especially Doggystyle anymore. But I listened to it. Knew every word and everything. When you listen to songs like "Ain't no fun." I loved that cut in 94. Can't stand it in 2009. Only a 15 year difference.

Now I just mercifully watched that song that was linked earlier. What's up wit the skinny jeans fad and then you wear multicolors with your skinny jeans. Then you have basicallly nothing to talk about in the song. The kids right now are growing up with some BAD hip hop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 2,841,136 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Being in my early 30s I accept the fact that Rap music is not made for my generation any more (even though many of today's rappers are around my age). I try not to bash the music because it just reminds me of how my elders would bash the music I was so into back in my teens and twenties. With that said, NOTHING I hear on the radio or otherwise impresses me. Today's Southern Rap is an embarrassment. And I say that because I remember "We Can't Be Stopped" by the Geto Boys. I remember when "Southernplayalisticmusik" dropped in 1994. So when I say that it is not good I am not even comparing it to other regions. Today's Southern Rap can't stand up to the Southern Rap from the early 90s.

Another thing that has happened as I have gotten older is my appreciation for music has changed. I like a lot of different things I did not like before. As a result a lot of the older things I used to listen to don't do it for me anymore. Being a Southern California guy I was a HUGE fan of Snoop Dogg and Tupac Shakur. The things is, now when I listen to some of those same tracks I realize they were not as good as I thought they were. A lot of the music I thought was so good seems mediocre now.

I will say this though. Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, PE, Outkast, and some of the old Ice Cube cuts still do it for me. Some songs truly are classic and stand the test of time. But most of what you guys are listening to now won't even crack your rotation in another ten years. It is all part of the process of growing and maturing.
I believe that's called maturity lol. Because let's face it, 75% of ALL rap contains ideas that most 30 and 40 yr olds have grown out of. Rap is not "grown-up music".

Even I would rather listen to some soul-rnb than rap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 2,841,136 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ok so what I think we are talking about is knowing the music and appreciating the music. There is a difference. I don't think 21 year olds appreciated what the Fu-gees was coming out with in 1994 and 1996. Because they were too young. They remembered it. But they were too young. Just like I was too young to appreciate De La Soul in 1990. But I do remember it. I don't really think you start appreciating what you're hearing until your adolescent years (around 10-11 years old). But 21 year olds are 80s babies but most 21 year old today that I have observed actually are in line with the 21 year old co-worker.
I think it may depend on where you come from. When I was 8/9 years old, we werent playing with toys and whatnot, we were watching music videos and trying to be like the big kids.

And I'm not sure what you mean by they don't appreciate it. Because 9 yr olds have cds and they have preferences in music. But you do have a point as they probably dont understand the lyrics. So yeah what youre saying makes sense. But i don't think you have to truly understand something at the time in order for you to be a real fan, or for you to consider that artist as part of "your time".

Appreciation probably comes with age. But there are exceptions to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
12,200 posts, read 18,410,510 times
Reputation: 6656
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Being in my early 30s I accept the fact that Rap music is not made for my generation any more (even though many of today's rappers are around my age). I try not to bash the music because it just reminds me of how my elders would bash the music I was so into back in my teens and twenties. With that said, NOTHING I hear on the radio or otherwise impresses me. Today's Southern Rap is an embarrassment. And I say that because I remember "We Can't Be Stopped" by the Geto Boys. I remember when "Southernplayalisticmusik" dropped in 1994. So when I say that it is not good I am not even comparing it to other regions. Today's Southern Rap can't stand up to the Southern Rap from the early 90s.

Another thing that has happened as I have gotten older is my appreciation for music has changed. I like a lot of different things I did not like before. As a result a lot of the older things I used to listen to don't do it for me anymore. Being a Southern California guy I was a HUGE fan of Snoop Dogg and Tupac Shakur. The things is, now when I listen to some of those same tracks I realize they were not as good as I thought they were. A lot of the music I thought was so good seems mediocre now.

I will say this though. Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, PE, Outkast, and some of the old Ice Cube cuts still do it for me. Some songs truly are classic and stand the test of time. But most of what you guys are listening to now won't even crack your rotation in another ten years. It is all part of the process of growing and maturing.
I know what you mean. I think it's just as you grow up your tolerance for music and it's lack of substantial lyrics lessens. I know mine has - when I heard Every Girl on the radio I said "that's the stupidest mess I've ever heard and I bet these dumb ass females the main ones singing it" then I had to check myself and remember when I was younger I was the main one in the club singing "I like them Hoes" and I will stay act a fool on the dance floor to every 2 Live crew song.Like you, I've just accepted that the majority of rap music these days is not aimed at people my age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I think it may depend on where you come from. When I was 8/9 years old, we werent playing with toys and whatnot, we were watching music videos and trying to be like the big kids.

And I'm not sure what you mean by they don't appreciate it. Because 9 yr olds have cds and they have preferences in music. But you do have a point as they probably dont understand the lyrics. So yeah what youre saying makes sense. But i don't think you have to truly understand something at the time in order for you to be a real fan, or for you to consider that artist as part of "your time".

Appreciation probably comes with age. But there are exceptions to this.
i think what he's trying to say is there's a difference between hearing it when it's brand new, first coming out and hearing it later on when you're old enough to understand it. Like Marvin Gaye - wayyy before my time so I can't have the same appreciation of his songs that my mom would have. And even though he was constantly played in my house I myself didn't fully appreciate the music until I was old enough to understand what he was talking about. That's what I got out of what he was saying anyway, he could have meant something completely different.

Where is Theo? As much as he posts in the other thread I'd love to see him actually say something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,982 posts, read 35,288,578 times
Reputation: 7428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ok so what I think we are talking about is knowing the music and appreciating the music. There is a difference. I don't think 21 year olds appreciated what the Fu-gees was coming out with in 1994 and 1996. Because they were too young. They remembered it. But they were too young. Just like I was too young to appreciate De La Soul in 1990. But I do remember it. I don't really think you start appreciating what you're hearing until your adolescent years (around 10-11 years old). But 21 year olds are 80s babies but most 21 year old today that I have observed actually are in line with the 21 year old co-worker.
I got to disagree about saying 21 year olds don't appreciate the music. Knowing your music and appreciating the music are two different things, but why can't a person just know the music and appreciate it at the same time?

You have people as young as 13 with 2pac or BIG posters in they rooms. I appreciate the music they have done, and still listen to it til this day. I understand where your going when actually being of a certain age to actually understand songs, but you can still be exposed to old school music later in life and actually fully understand and appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 01:04 AM
 
Location: California
1,191 posts, read 1,590,342 times
Reputation: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's interesting. For me, everyday that passes, I get closer to my late 20s. Back in 1994 when I was 11, everybody that I was around listened to one cd. Doggystyle from Snoop. It DOMINATED the summer of 93. The Chronic dominated the summer before that. I didn't realize what I was hearing at the time because today, I can't listen to many songs off both albums especially Doggystyle anymore. But I listened to it. Knew every word and everything. When you listen to songs like "Ain't no fun." I loved that cut in 94. Can't stand it in 2009. Only a 15 year difference.

Now I just mercifully watched that song that was linked earlier. What's up wit the skinny jeans fad and then you wear multicolors with your skinny jeans. Then you have basicallly nothing to talk about in the song. The kids right now are growing up with some BAD hip hop.
That's part of it. I have a wife now. Songs like "Ain't No Fun" just don't gel with my reality anymore. Truthfully, it didn't gel with it back then either. While I used to love listening to "player" music I was never a player. Maybe that is why I liked the music so much. Also, I have a little girl now. When you have a daughter to raise you hear these songs a lot differently.

Also, the tight pants fad is really wierd to me. But like I said, I try not to pass judgement. It wasn't THAT long ago my mother was complaining about mine being too baggy.

But the thing that kills me is the pants hanging off the behind. And yes, I would occasionally wear mine like that when I was a teen. But looking at the young brothers today I realize just how ignorant I looked. But if you are 17 wearing a LeBron jersey and sagging pants that is one thing. If you are 35 wearing a throwback and your pants are hanging off you behind there's a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
20,531 posts, read 33,647,254 times
Reputation: 12189
Yes, natalay, that's what I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I got to disagree about saying 21 year olds don't appreciate the music. Knowing your music and appreciating the music are two different things, but why can't a person just know the music and appreciate it at the same time?

You have people as young as 13 with 2pac or BIG posters in they rooms. I appreciate the music they have done, and still listen to it til this day. I understand where your going when actually being of a certain age to actually understand songs, but you can still be exposed to old school music later in life and actually fully understand and appreciate it.
No see, you're misunderstand what I'm saying. When Fu-gee-la came out, those 21 year olds was 8 at the time. They were not old enough to understand nor appreciate what they were growing up with when songs was coming out at that time. They remember it. But that's as far as it go. You start to remember and appreciate it at around the age I was saying initially. When I was 8, mind playin tricks on me came out back in 1991. I remember that song. But do you honestly believe that most my age appreciate or understood what he was talking about?

You have people as young as 13 today have Michael Jackson and Marvin Gaye posters on their walls too. They didn't grow up listening or appreciating their music as they make their music though obviously. They are growing up with T-Pain and Soulja Boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top