Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:10 PM

63 posts, read 95,956 times

Advertisements

I don't get it, I heard it, 90% of what I heard is just catchy overdue beats---- they do this to make up for lack of good lyrics and to make people want to dance and not THINK. There is a very popular southern rapper name Lilian Wayne that claims to be the best rapper alive and the kids actually believe this is true but it is NOT. He's a gimmick, an entertainer, not a real hip hop artist. Then when I ask people to name good Southern rappers, they say Andre 3000 but he doesn't even have a solo album??? I wanted to listen to an album by him... But in general, Southern rap is pure garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 05:15 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusX View Post
I don't get it, I heard it, 90% of what I heard is just catchy overdue beats---- they do this to make up for lack of good lyrics and to make people want to dance and not THINK. There is a very popular southern rapper name Lilian Wayne that claims to be the best rapper alive and the kids actually believe this is true but it is NOT. He's a gimmick, an entertainer, not a real hip hop artist. Then when I ask people to name good Southern rappers, they say Andre 3000 but he doesn't even have a solo album??? I wanted to listen to an album by him... But in general, Southern rap is pure garbage.
My friend I got news for ya. Wrap is wrap is wrap. Ain't no difference. A good poem with lots of curse words and disprespect for women is the theme whether it's north south east or west wrap.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
My friend I got news for ya. Wrap is wrap is wrap. Ain't no difference. A good poem with lots of curse words and disprespect for women is the theme whether it's north south east or west wrap.
I guess you don't listen to Hip Hop then, you don't know what you are talking about

Old 07-07-2009, 05:47 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,243,553 times
Because young kids eat that stuff up, and don't forget the ringtone market.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I guess you don't listen to Hip Hop then, you don't know what you are talking about
If I did not know what I was talking about then I would shut up. But I do know. Rather then listen to hippity hoppity fruit loops I would rather listen to a Walmart vacum cleaner with bad bearings and clogged filter being dragged over an old dirty pee stained shag carpet.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:55 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
Seriously, DS, every single Hip-Hop thread, you always post something that is either negative, or down right off topic. We get it: You don't like hip-hop music.

Southern Hip-hop is very popular, but it isn't as popular as it was back in 2002-2007. Now, you couldn't even listen to the radio, with out hearing a song from Atlanta, Miami, Houston, New Orleans, Memphis, etc, every 5 minuets.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Seriously, DS, every single Hip-Hop thread, you always post something that is either negative, or down right off topic. We get it: You don't like hip-hop music.

Southern Hip-hop is very popular, but it isn't as popular as it was back in 2002-2007. Now, you couldn't even listen to the radio, with out hearing a song from Atlanta, Miami, Houston, New Orleans, Memphis, etc, every 5 minuets.
So what is the difference. Does southern hippity hoppity have a southern accent or a southern twang? Is there a steel guitar in it someplace? Does it have some mixture of country music in it?

Tell me what makes it southern?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:32 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
1. No region today is doing anything great on the radio. Garbage is universal now. Nelly is midwest, Lil Wayne is South, Mims is Northeast. Only the West Coast does not have an artist. They need to consider themselves lucky. But I'm from the South and I do admit, the South has did the most damage on effectively killing the hip hop culture than any other region especially (and I hate to pick on one city here and I'm not hatin on it either) Atlanta. But it's not about the South anymore. It's about the entire industry.

2. Andre 3000 is an exceptional rapper. Part of one of the greatest hip hop duos ever (Outkast). He had one solo cd but it's really different. Lot's of singing. To be expected with that type of person. But he is very talented. Go and listen to Aquemini, Atliens, Southernplayalistic, etc. and listen to this man. He is one of the GOATS. As far as soloists.

The best Soloist ever from the South is probably Scarface. He is well respected throughout the hip hop community no matter where you're from. He's been in the game since the late 80s and was the first to really put the South on the map as far as lyricism is concerned. Great storyteller as well.

3. The South's base is not about lyricism though. It's about the beat. In the South, the way of life is the car and if the beat is not knocking in the car, it will not get much play no matter what artist. It's the exact opposite from the Northeast where people listen to their walkman's, cd players, and now ipod's on a subway and the people in the Northeast put more emphasis on the lyrics (what it should be) then the beat. THIS is not to say that the South doesn't have it's fair share of lyricists. In fact, it does. I'll name a list of Southern rappers later.

4. To expand on not wanting to pick on Atlanta. I have nothing against them. But they have either bit other cities style, and they have had some terrible disposable rappers in the past 5 years come out. The greats are Outkast, TI, Killer Mike, Cool Breeze, and Pastor Troy.
But then you get hitman sammy sam, drama, miracle, shop boyz, young jeezy, lil jon, gucci mane, dj unk, young joc, F.L.Y. All of these are below average at best. It's really sad that the same city that produced shop boyz produced Outkast. This is not to say that other cities in the South do not have their fair share of garbage either because they do.

5. Here are some rappers from the South.
J.Cole (North Carolina)
The Clipse (Virginia)
Supastition (North Carolina)
Stat Quo (Georgia)
Outkast (Georgia)
B.o.B. (Georgia)
Cyne (Florida)
Dead Prez (Florida)
Playa Fly (Tennessee)
Cunninlynguists (Kentucky, Georgia)
Little Brother (North Carolina)
K-Otix (Texas)
Gerald G (Texas)
Strange Fruit Project (Texas)
K-Rino (Texas)
Scarface (Texas)
Kay (Texas)
Niyat (Texas)
Mystikal (Louisiana)
Young Bleed (Louisiana)
Verbal Seed (Texas)
Mojoe (Texas)
Quan (Virginia)

There are plenty more.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
If I did not know what I was talking about then I would shut up. But I do know. Rather then listen to hippity hoppity fruit loops I would rather listen to a Walmart vacum cleaner with bad bearings and clogged filter being dragged over an old dirty pee stained shag carpet.

I guess you haven't listened to enough Hip Hop to know that there are songs that do not have curses in them or disrespect women, etc...

Old 07-07-2009, 08:27 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
Quote:
I don't get it,
That says it all. It is not for you. Accept it and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music