Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,763,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Most importantly, parents hated it.
Why does this matter? Is this what makes good music, to you?

Quote:
It seems that we are, and have been stuck in a similar time again. Young people/ 20 somethings seem (if they are not immersed in that mainstream hip hop garbage) to be listening to their parents music (Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Iron maiden, Def Leppard, Motley Crue and so forth) as their rock music of choice.

Anyway...this generation despearately needs a Nirvana. And rock music needs to get back to its rebllious roots. I sense something is going to happen here within the next few years.... Thoughts?
Musical tastes are fragmented these days. I'm 26, and just about everybody my age listens to something different. There is very little commonality among different groups when it comes to these things. You're underestimating the sheer amount and variety of pop music out there today.

Last edited by le roi; 08-11-2009 at 07:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Aren't bands like Nickelback, Jet, and the White Stripes what passes for rock today?
I don't listen to 'Jet', but I know that you're smoking crack if you're putting Nickelback and the White Stripes in the same category.

How are they similar? Both involve white people and guitars?

Last edited by le roi; 08-11-2009 at 08:03 AM..

Old 08-11-2009, 08:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,051,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I don't listen to 'Jet', but I know that you're smoking crack if you're putting Nickelback and the White Stripes in the same category.
heh
See post #10.

I have a feeling that Interpol was being a little bit facetious (or perhaps a bit nostalgic) with the "Most importantly, parents hated it" remark.

When all is said and done, people, no matter what their age, should just listen to what they like.
I would never tell anyone what to read, or what movie to see.
Still, I understand how Interpol feels.
As I said before, I personally feel that if you like music that much, it is self-limiting to stick to one genre, but not everyone feels the need to be so exploratory.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:24 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,652,496 times
Quote:

How are they similar? Both involve white people and guitars?
Well, in a broad sense, they're both "rock." But Blue Willow Plate is on point in that everything splinters into more and more "genres."

Old 08-11-2009, 08:27 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Back in the 90's we had Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Ministry, L7, Dinosaur Jr., Mudhoney, Hole, Garbage, Nine Inch Nails, and a whole plethora of great, new alternative, indie, and metal bands..... It was new, fresh, and it gave a generation an identity and music to call its own. Most importantly, parents hated it. The complete opposite of the music of the late 80's such as Poison, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, that both parents and their kids could sing along together to.

It seems that we are, and have been stuck in a similar time again. Young people/ 20 somethings seem (if they are not immersed in that mainstream hip hop garbage) to be listening to their parents music (Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Iron maiden, Def Leppard, Motley Crue and so forth) as their rock music of choice.

Anyway...this generation despearately needs a Nirvana. And rock music needs to get back to its rebllious roots. I sense something is going to happen here within the next few years.... Thoughts?
Not to sound like a codger in a 30 year old body, but the music was just way better in the 80s and 90s. What the heck is this R&B crap that passes for entertainment?

Old 08-11-2009, 08:29 AM

10,177 posts, read 20,800,438 times
Good music stands the test of time, so I can understand why today's generation would appreciate bands from the 70's - 90's. Today's rock and metal is either watered down commercial garbage or cookie-monster lyrics. Blame it on the record companies who have marketed music with emphasis on look and syle versus content and talent. Hopefully something better comes along in the not too distant future.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
heh
See post #10.

I have a feeling that Interpol was being a little bit facetious (or perhaps a bit nostalgic) with the "Most importantly, parents hated it" remark.

Well, for me, what that statement masks is a focus on style and image, rather than on the music itself. "Parents should hate it" implies that music is about something other than music...

A focus on what the singers look like, or what they wear, or how they stand when the wind machines blow in their video, instead of what the music sounds like, is what led us into the dark-ages of mainstream popular music in the first place.

Quote:
As I said before, I personally feel that if you like music that much, it is self-limiting to stick to one genre, but not everyone feels the need to be so exploratory.
Sure, people should listen to what they like. I don't like the majority of the music people talk about on here, I deep down would like to make fun of some of them (the Scorpions? lmao..), but I usually keep my mouth shut, because I feel people should enjoy music and not be hassled by what they like.

What bothers me, is when people make these statements like, "There's no good music anymore, these days." This just shows that they are ignorant, and that they do not know where to find the good music these days. People post dozens and dozens of youtube videos in these threads, a lot of it being good music that's being played today, but some folks would just rather complain. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

My college buddy's 55-year old dad was like this.. he has good taste, and loved the good stuff he grew up on like Traffic, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Led Zeppelin, etc, etc.. he would complain about how bad music today was, until we started burning him CD's. Now he comes to concerts with us.. lol.. he was at Gov't Mule a few weeks ago, will be at Derek Trucks Band next month. He's excited about what today's music sounds like.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,051,924 times
Quote:
Well, for me, what that statement masks is a focus on style and image, rather than on the music itself. "Parents should hate it" implies that music is about something other than music...
I think perhaps what Interpol meant was that rock *was* sort of a movement, a feeling. Not so much an image.

Quote:
Sure, people should listen to what they like. I don't like the majority of the music people talk about on here, I deep down would like to make fun of some of them (the Scorpions? lmao..), but I usually keep my mouth shut, because I feel people should enjoy music and not be hassled by what they like.
Yes.
Quote:
What bothers me, is when people make these statements like, "There's no good music anymore, these days." This just shows that they are ignorant, and that they do not know where to find the good music these days. will be at Derek Trucks Band next month. He's excited about what today's music sounds like.
::jealous::
I WILL see Derek Trucks some day.
Going to the Voodoo Experience on Halloween Weekend.
If you like Derek Trucks and Gov't Mule, you might like MOFRO. Are you familiar with them?
They are a little bit different, but in the same general territory.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:13 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,891,475 times
Hey, I think people are allowed to listen to anything they want, no matter how old it is and if it was way past their time.

I'm in my early to mid 30's and I listen to the old stuff (because I think that was better music and better talent back in the days). I listen to Led Zepellin, The Doors, and etc. I also listen to old country also (Ernest Tubb, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, etc.).

What the hell is wrong with that????!!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:38 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,688,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Hey, I think people are allowed to listen to anything they want, no matter how old it is and if it was way past their time.

I'm in my early to mid 30's and I listen to the old stuff (because I think that was better music and better talent back in the days). I listen to Led Zepellin, The Doors, and etc. I also listen to old country also (Ernest Tubb, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, etc.).

What the hell is wrong with that????!!!!
Nothing is wrong with that. Of course people are allowed to listen to what they want to. The issue is bad vs good music. You listen to good music. But your generation is just about the end of music as we knew it.

Today the kids dont know any better because they are only exposed to trash. If I dropped you in the jungle at an early age and the only thing you were exposed to was wrap and hippity hoppity fruit stuff then you might learn to like it because it's all you know. This is what's going on today.

All my years in the music biz and I have no answers how to bring music back into our lives. I feel helpless. All I can do is hang out and jamb with those my age who know what music is. One thing is for sure. Our music will out live us. I just hope I live long enough to see the death of wrap and hippity hoppity junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music