Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:01 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times

Advertisements

So this morning on the way into the city this idiot in a Hot Rod Lincoln is weaving in and out of 4 lanes of traffic. This shid box was all jacked up in the back with big fat tires. Just like we did when I was a kid in the 70s. The driver was practically sitting in the back seat like all young punks do today. He was also doing the Detroit lean as young punks do. It was loud, probably just some stupid thrush mufflers. This guy thought he was real special.

Anyway what came to mind was the great old song "Hot Rod Lincoln" by Commandor Cody and his lost planet airmen. I chose this version written by a Japanese cartoon writer.

YouTube - Initial D - Commander Cody - Hot Rod Lincoln

Wondering how us old timers liked this song as well as how younger people who never really had any great music to call their own think of it. My curiosity is due to this song really is just talking with perfect rhyming but with good music by real instruments. Oh......and no cursing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 03:12 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
One word says it all about "Hot Rod Lincoln"-YESS!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 03:23 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,869,933 times
The original Hot Rod Lincoln, written and performed by Charlie Ryan

YouTube - Forgotten Oldies - Hot Rod Lincoln, The Late Charlie Ryan

Old 09-24-2009, 03:29 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post

Jeez I didn't even know that. I think I like Commander Cody better but that may be because that's the version I grew up with

Old 09-24-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Jeez I didn't even know that. I think I like Commander Cody better but that may be because that's the version I grew up with
Asleep At The Wheel does a pretty fair version also.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:52 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post

No kidding, wow - you really do learn something every day!

Old 09-24-2009, 08:23 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,239,120 times
Axe slingin' Bill Kirchen's work on the Commander Cody version was one of the first times I can actually remember taking note of a guitar player and what a guitar was supposed to sound like (to me anyway). I can remember thinking how cool that was. It gave me an interest in learning to play. I couldn't have been 10 years old at the time. Took up the drums about 4 years later, and play to this day. There are several moments/songs in my life that were very influential to me as player, this song was one of them. The story-line and lyrics of the song through the eyes of a 10 year boy were pretty cool too.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:46 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Can this be considered to be part of both rock and country genres? In thinking about the song, I don't really notice any drums, more of a beat like some old Johnny Cash songs, where they'd thump the guitar for the song.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:20 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Love Bill Kirchen's voice.
When I think of Commander Cody and his band,I always think "country boogie."
He did a whole lot of nice covers of old-school songs (similar to Asleep At the Wheel): Beat Me Daddy Eight to the Bar, and Smoke That Cigarette.
But their original compositions are modern classics.
One of my favorite CC songs has a distinct country feel:
Bill Kirchen sang The Saddest Song in the World: the original "Seeds and Stems (Again)."
The Commander handles vocals here.

YouTube - Commander Cody Band - "Down to Seeds and Stems Again Blues" ....Live @ Turkey Trot!

Old 09-25-2009, 07:51 AM

Not sure why but when I hear Commander Cody and Hot Rod Lincoln, I automatically think of this song. Must be the time period, I guess. Ain't it funny how a song can take you back to a certain time in your life?

The Amazing Rhythm Aces
YouTube - The End Is Not in Sight (The Cowboy Tune)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music